Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80,series steering problem

june rasmussen

Country Flag
australia
Hi all how are you can someone please help
i have a steering problem the car has a mind of its own and it drives like a drunk lolol im at a loss for what the problem is as i have
done all the bushes all bearings both front hubs new steering pump changed steering box could some one help me as to what else i need to do

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Is it lifted with no caster correction?

If all the bushes are good, wandering steering is probably either track misalignment (toe-in / toe-out) or insufficient caster angle.

The first one is easy, a simple visit to the alignment shop, or a different one from the guys who said it was ok, but caster is a bit more complex.

Did the alignment shop give you a print-out?

No to the alignment print out and the 80,series does not have casters it only has toe in toe out

If you add lifted suspension over 2" then the front axle twists and you lose the correctly set castor built into the front axle. This is why the guys are asking as this then leads to behaviour like you are describing.

Is your truck lifted (beyond 2") June?

First of all I'd check the condition of the chassis where the steering box is attached as it is a known but rare problem where the chassis can crack and allow the steering box to react when the steering wheel is turned and not give the expected reaction at the wheels. Otherwise I'd be looking at the mounting points of all the axle locating tie bars to make sure they are all attached and all the bushes are in good condition.

Thank you so much i have check the chassis and yes it is cracked can it be welded and fixed
First of all I'd check the condition of the chassis where the steering box is attached as it is a known but rare problem where the chassis can crack and allow the steering box to react when the steering wheel is turned and not give the expected reaction at the wheels. Otherwise I'd be looking at the mounting points of all the axle locating tie bars to make sure they are all attached and all the bushes are in good condition.

If you add lifted suspension over 2" then the front axle twists and you lose the correctly set castor built into the front axle. This is why the guys are asking as this then leads to behaviour like you are describing.

Is your truck lifted (beyond 2") June?
Not known it it Has been lifted as we brought it second hand it was a suv and now has been turned into a ute will take a pic and put it up

Last edited:
Aha, the dreaded cracks by the steering box, well done Andy for suggesting that, it explains all.

And I’ve just had mine welded up:doh:

Glad it’s sorted :clap:

Back