Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80 Series VX centre diff lock issue.

Werner Jacobs

Gents. Please help

I recently bought a very well looked after 80 series 4.2 VX but picked up a small issue (I hope) with the centre diff lock..... let me explain. As far as I understand when you engage low range the centre diff lock light and the ABS must come on indicating that the centre diff lock is locke and the ABS is switched off but this did not happen. Now after fiddling with the wires and plugs on the transfer case the lights come on the centre diff enagages and I can select the front and rear diff locks. But here is the problem, now when I I want to take it back to Hi range the centre diff lock and the ABS lights stay on and the centre diff stays engaged meaning I need to crawl in under and disconect the switches all 3 of them to be able to drive on the road.

Now I want to know is there anyone that can tell me what the problem could be and if possible how to fix it

Hi. When you have the Diff lock engaged in low. Once you select high again have you tried reversing and tuning a little? Sometimes I come across 80s that are a little tight.

Also do you have the CDL switch on the dash?

Question, after disengaging by unplugging, does the CDL stay off after you've re-plugged it?

As Karl says above, sometimes it can take up to 1/4 mile for the CDL to disengage, depending on how you're driving. On asphalt it can take longer, normally it's quite quick to disengage on loose ground.

I can't help you with circuitry I'm afraid.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I think that you'll most likely find that this is purely down to lack of use. If it will lock and unlock by whatever means then the motor and important parts are working. You can get the lock working but the indicator detent sensor doesn't. You must establish whether the locker is locked or if the indicator light is simply saying that it's locked when it isn't.

I would get all 4 wheels of the ground and keep locking and unlocking until you can get the wheels lined up so that you can hear the motor go bzzzzt - bzzzzt both ways. Do that a few times to get it moving. The sensors failing is actually quite common. They come out with a 27mm socket. Give them a clean and test with a meter or a lamp.

Like I say, if they will lock then all is not lost. It's a very good start. I had one lock and it took miles and a patch of rough ground to unlock it. But then it freed up and work normally now.

I have now tried everything possible the only other thing might be an electrical issue someware with the wiring

Back