Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80 Series Winch Bumper Designed by MUD-KIT and Made in UK

DandyLandy

Supporter
Country Flag
uk
Hi Guys,

I'm looking to gauge interest in a UK made front bumper designed by me and commissioned by the best fabricators I can find in the UK.

There are 2 bumpers planned, one of which is pictures below on my vehicle. The second will be similar but with a higher place winch bumper tray.

The remit here is to update the look of the 80 without clashing too hard with its original design and build a strong bumper that will deflect on coming obstacles (not just kangaroos!) but more common obstacle we encounter when off roading and also allow the attachment to of bush bars if desired. It's fair to say that the look of the the ARB bumper and all it's copies now look very dated having not changed since the 1990's not to take anything away from their functionality or build quality - I personally am a fan. However, It would be nice to give our trucks a little bit of something that brings them into the current times alongside all the aggressive front ends that we see on almost every car these days.

Both designs cover up cover up the big orange carrot indicators and replace them with led options in the bumper which are Jeep Wrangler fitments offering loads of different options for you choose from.

1. the Aero - this is designed to house a winch while allowing full air flow into the radiator aperture. This is especially relevant for all those running automatics with transmission coolers or anyone running a front mounted intercooler that needs airflow or even if you are planning a trip to hotter climbs and want a little extra piece of mind.

2. The Crawler - This designed to have much improved approach angles on the centre and front corners very much like the AOE design from the USA. This involves bringing the winch tray up and forward as previously mentioned.

Picture below (Sorry it's only 1 but more will follow)

I'll put another page for people to register initial interest. Pleas fill in name and type (Aero or Crawler)

Any requests considered.

Rear bumper, rock sliders and pullout kitchens are in the pipeline........

IMG_20211207_110513.jpg

Interested parties please post here:-

1. Dandy Landy - Aero

I've seen this in the flesh and it has a very contemporary look to it, right up to date. It really does grow on you, I was a little unsure at first but it does make the "Classic" ARB look a bit "Classic".

My god i was so determined to get something similar to that rockcrawler bumper i sent drawings to a guy that sells many bumpers on ebay maybe a year ago .

The plan has since changed though but good luck to you because nothing out there appeals to me and the ARB i'm sorry to say strikes me as a one size fits all design .

I've seen this in the flesh and it has a very contemporary look to it, right up to date. It really does grow on you, I was a little unsure at first but it does make the "Classic" ARB look a bit "Classic".
Ok then Andy, shall I put you down for 4 or 5? (lost count of how many 80's you have at present!!) :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Would be interested in a design without the hoops...... like the one pictured above but no light guards or centre hoop.
Just a thought....if the indicators were mounted in the bumper in the same position as original then that would free up both light mounts for spots ....ie...4 driving /spot lights within the bumper

Last edited:
Would be interested in a design without the hoops...... like the one pictured above but no light guards or centre hoop.
Just a thought....if the indicators were mounted in the bumper in the same position as original then that would free up both light mounts for spots ....ie...4 driving /spot lights within the bumper
Hi Grimbo

Yes that can be done but not sure about the indicators though.

Andy

I should add the original pic is one nice looking 80......
Indicators not a deal breaker ....if I got it unpainted then could adapt to suit.....
Re the hoops..... with a sensible head on I don't think I will ever be doing the kind of driving that warrants that level of protection but would like a winch as my 80 also is a working vehicle....
That said if the bloody deer continue to breed like they are the "Deer " bars could become desirable ...

Credit to you. Fine looking thing indeed. I do wonder if the bar obscures the headlight a little given that we need every single lux we can from these old candle driven monsters, but the shape certainly does look modern. What about wiring the indicators into the side lights and using the bumper lights as side lights (DRL styleee) Put orange bulbs in and they'd work well and be seen from the side.

Question i've wondered for my own plans , is the repeater flash separate from the light so any light would flash on and off if connected to to the same wires ?

Yes Shayne....repeater is on the same circuit....
Only issue maybe if the flasher unit is expecting a certain draw to flash at a sensible rate and you either decrease this by using LEDs or increase it by adding additional load.... not sure if an 80/90 flasher unit is electronic or bi metal based .....if fully electronic shouldn't be a problem .

Really like the idea of someone making a winch bumper like that in the UK, good to see a side view

Be great to have a fabricator making these in the UK. Personally I’d prefer that winch bumper Sharpe/design but without the hoops

My 100 is to be a working vehicle when not towing the caravan. I like to use the front end for push n pull on trailers or moving caravans.. I do this more than the requirement for a winch, but I could hook my winch to either the front bumper, rear bumper or on the trailer when using my Ol' Defender (RIP). So to carry on in the same vain I will be doing something with this 100, the grey cells are working already.
But yes, your Aero design is appealing. Leave the D-Links on for me, never enough of owt like that when the motor is a worker.

Back