Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80 starting problems

dellboykev

Country Flag
england
Yesterday my car developed a bit of a starting problem it usually starts with half a turn of the key i did a pay and play day last week and went through some pretty deep water (deep enough for my friends td5 ecu to get drowned) then i left the car sitting for a week while i fitted an intercooler now when i start it i turn the key and nothing happens for a second then i get one sluggish turn then it starts and today after i started it i torn it off and the starter was still engaged and turning over so i started it and torn it off and it stopped that has only happened once. So before i take the starter apart is there any chance it could have something to do with the 24 volt relay of the ignition switch, has anyone else had a similar problem and is it just likely to be a sticky starter full of crud?

If the starter was still spinning after the engine was running I would strip and recon the starter motor first. The electrical contacts commonly stick together. Buy an electrical recon kit first.

where can i get a recon kit from? i was just going to strip it down and clean it up

I'd pull the starter, have a look inside the solenoid before wasting any money buying parts. Both the starter and alternator on the 80 are really susceptible to off road activity. You can have the starter of in 10 mins so if it does need a service kit, it's no biggie to pull it again another time. I think that Roughtrax do a kit as well as Toyota obviously. I have drowned more starters that I care to remember. I just don't know where the crud gets in. The 24v change over relay is pretty well sealed.

,As has been said, starter contacts. The new ones are much bigger and last far longer where the originals just splatter themselves to death eventually and behave as you've mentioned. One word of warning, when you replace the contacts, use studloc (Loctite) on the 3 cover screws to stop them working loose as that is bad. Very bad! Ask me how I know.

I made new WIDE starter contacts out of 6mm copper plate. Then forgot about them.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
That's a good idea Frank. I had a starter that was fine, then a little intermittent, then just failed. When I took it apart, the plunger washer had basically eroded the contact plates in a perfect semi circle and whilst firing, just wasn't hitting copper anymore. Being wider and slightly thicker should give years of reliable starting.

However in this particular instance it does sound like crap in the starter. I was at the point where nearly every time I'd been off road in the Silver Phoenix that I'd have to strip the starter and alternator. For some reason they just seem to really pull the filth in. There is quite a 'suck' when you turn the key with the solenoid acting as a piston in the stater and I did wonder if this had the potential to pull water and mud in. I took to leaving it running during off road sessions in the end. There are breathers / drains but they get blocked too. The amount of filth inside the stater housing after just one session was extraordinary.

i think i will just take it off and clean it first i have found the kit on roughtrax so i f i do see any damage i will just order one

Got the starter apart today the positive contact is looking pretty shabby I can even see where it had melted together when the starter got stuck on so it will need replacing I have cleaned it up for now so I can still drive it until the kit arrives it weren't too dirty inside just dust of the brushes and hard grease so mine seems pretty well sealed

Result DBK. Simple fix, no muck and peace of mind.

It is a simple fix. Just don't forget the loctite on the 3 screws.

Hope that was the fix, odds are it will be.

I have had similar issues and the rebuild kit from Roughtrax worked a treat however I have had it where the starter motor stayed engaged and it was nothing to do with the starter but to do with the relay in the starting circuit (sits on the passenger side inner wing RHD).

The internal spring to the relay had corroded and allowed the contact to fail closed. A bit of emery cloth and new spring fixed all.

20130923_171451.jpg 20130923_174806.jpg

Back