Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

90 D4D Collie rear Locker stuck

robthebox

Does anyone have a suggestion, The actuator appears to be stuck. I have removed the pin cover as per Shayne's helpful suggestion at Lincomb. I have read the post on the rear diff locker that he started .

The pin wobbles but thats it .. the rear axle is on stands the LL selected, Key in handbrake off. Pin stays out .... tapped gently, rocked WD'd, still sticks in the same place . Selector light flashing ... not steady red.

I noted the fact that these actuators come off in bits.

How about drilling a small hole in the top of the actuator and filling it with WD, will it run out somewhere before doing any good. ?

I could always plug it after. Any thoughts guys. :?

Rob

Can you hear anything when you switch the diff on and off ? If its trying to move the actuator is ok and the pin is seized so penetrating spray , heat , and a few more taps might just get it moving .

I was told WD40 is actually water based though i couldn't say for sure it is true . I haven't used it since , instead i use GT85 penetrating oil .

Last edited:
No but I'm on my own Lindz had the op on her neck yesterday, and its started to rain rather a lot ...... cardboard sheet under the truck now dissolving.

I followed all the pointers on your earlier thread. Last time I tried this with lindz the actuator made a slight noise, like it was trying but stuck.

Now there is no light on the dash so I'll check the fuses when the rain stops. Reckon its blown because its been left on in the on position but stuck.

I think I'll try flooding it with WD through a drilled hole in the top of the actuator casing.

I have heard about WD attracting moisture after a few weeks, I also had sprayed a new lathe with it before the winter.... worst thing I could have done ....... had to coat it with Q20 and wire wool the whole bed clean, ......(the Q20 is the best stuff ever invented. never seen rust on the lathe beds since I coated it.) The GT 85 I also have . might use that instead. IncidentlysSomeone made me an offer on the 90 last night so I want to get this working before next weekend.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
No point in doing anything if you have a blown fuse it wont work anyway . A noise is good so i wouldn't touch the actuator just yet they are very expensive to replace i hear .

By the way cheers for your offer on Strata Florida be sure to give me a shout if your going that way :thumbup: by the way i reckon two vehicles with long enough straps should manage ok without a winch , just have to be careful not to stay too close a couple of hundred yards gives plenty of time to warn whoever is following to stop and walk up to access the situation .

i have done the strata with out getting stuck in the snow. ice was a good 40mm on the river crossings.

Shayne .. I think you should get yourself a cheap CB radio, also a winch would be good too, if you want to go anywhere on your own (just to be safe that is) .... I plan to fit one myself but a locker on the 70 is my first priority, in time for next lincomb hopefully..
Will chat to Jim when he gets back from his treck and Mike too, never know when either of them will want to do a day down there. There's also happy valley and Dovey Jcn all good fun but winch def needed for the latter otherwise damage can occur. will keep you posted on this locker problem. Cheers Mate.

Stumog How deep were the River crossings when you were there ? we have been 3 times and arent' snorkeled up yet. Its normally been about 3 ft at the deepest on our trips.

Last edited:
CB , winch , rock sliders , receiver hitch , air compressor , tow straps , decent tent , bigger tyres , a gps plotter .................... Dear Santa !

Nah progress will be dictated by how things go as time goes on .

i think it was about 3 ft but with not much flow. a snorkle would be a good idea as if its to deep you would have ti turn back.

Just a CB then just to save your legs, Cost £40 ish from Maplins Aerial off ebay about a tenner. Definately a safety requirement for off roading in convoy. Check with the rest of the guys if you have any doubts.

Ok fuse not gone just looking at wrong light. I've filled the actuator with a mix of Q20 and oil. I tried it a few times but nothing. I'll leave it soaking and see what tomorrow brings.
Thanks for the comments, appreciated !

Rob, probably something you've done already but once your mixture soaks overnight. how about driving the truck in a few S bends or forward and reverse in a curve while trying to engage the locker. It might help trying to free it up?

Thanks for the reply Trevor.

I will try that tomorrow, is there some logic to the driving pattern ?

To free up my lockers ony 80 i did big circles in a dirt carpark as to give the drive train aome slip
you need to get the sides of the diff to rotate at different speeds. for some reason this makes them engage. DONT do it on tarmac or a hard surface.
stu

Think Rob had the diff on all through Lincomb in the hope it would kick in so not much hope in a car park i doubt . DOH! forgot we were talkin about the collie :doh:

Last edited:
Hi Shayne, thanks.... The truck I was in at lincomb was a Red KZJ78 (the Baron) with open diffs. The one with the diff lock prob is my 90 collie like yours. I am thinking of heating it all up till it starts bubbling tomorrow then go for a run and engage it somewhere slippy, doing s bends, hope the police dont spot me !! "well officer its like this.............":?:wtf:

Thanks Stu that could be seriously good advice, I can imagine all the bits on the tarmac if it works.

If the noise is there i'd heat the pin only , but first i'd try hitting it hard as you can with something like a 19mm spanner held between your finger and thumb , its the shock you want rather than the power of a solid blow . When first i got mine working it was slow to engage and disengage i had to reverse out of the garden a 90 degree turn from grass onto tarmac down a 10 inch step , then 30ft down the lane then do a 180 before the diff unlocked . It was horrible one wheel would lock while the other 3 wheels and the weight of the truck and the power of the engine FORCED the locked wheel to go where it didn't want to go . After that though everything worked fine so maybe that bit of pain loosened everything up for me ?

Back