Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

97 prado or a 2003 D4D

See that largely removes the need for any discussion about the engine they will all be adequate . Now i'm a 90 series fan so that's the choice i will push but to be perfectly clear almost any 90 you buy nowadays is going to need work even if its just general maintenance like new bushes , a new radiator on a 1kz engine with over 100k on the clock is a must . And you like me and most other 90 owners will look at rust on the back axle and think "i really must do something about that" , but to my mind the 90 is not as susceptible to rust as the 120 .

Now i expect a number of 120 owners to come forward and kick me around the place for saying that and they may well be correct , i just have a general notion that i have read more on the forum about chassis rust on the younger model than i have on the older LC .

Living on a small island & duty with import laws has been a wake up call to how fortunate we are in the uk. No restrictions on age, left hand drive & duties are so reasonable.
Here too in northern Cyprus Shayne your buying the car twice [emoji30]
Like you paying tax on engine size etc, book price and a arms length of other things feels like day light robbery.
Buying my 80 here was expensive 3 to 4 times the price in the uk. In doing so settled to this being the only car I will have here forever [emoji849]

Being a Japanese import there is almost no rust in 22 years even though I have treated the bottom to further protect.

Many companies in Japan with service records & detailed inspection documentation to overview in confidence.
Here is one example [emoji6]
http://www.goo-net-exchange.com/php/search/summary.php

I know what's it's like in your position & would recommend to get what you like because the costs of transport,
importing & taxes are high.......you only want to go through once & feel happy with what you have purchased.

Best of luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

... but to my mind the 90 is not as susceptible to rust as the 120 .

I had to start welding my 1999 90 in 2011. Cross member infront of the fuel tank, and the very rear cross member. So tank out, and back axle off job to do properly / get the mig gun at the right angle. Never suffered with the axle mounts though. I live on a farm, and pretty much never washed it, on top or underneath (I bought it in 2002)

My 2005 120 is still weld free, and as far as I can see doesn't look like it will need any anytime soon. However I wash underneath every 2 or 3 weeks. And every summer any rust on the back axle, control arm mounts, and rear chassis is brushed and given some Hammerite; I will get round to doing something better than that eventually! Or 200s might get cheap enough for me to afford :)

What kind of owner will you be is another thing to consider . My bro loves his 120 and is perfectly happy to drive around in a posh badge and have it cared for by a garage but that would never work for me , i'm no mechanic but i like to have a go at things and while learning slowly i have built a relationship of sorts with my truck . I also enjoy telling people my truck is 18 years old which is always met with disbelief .

Your in an awful position really because until you have driven both you will never know which suits you best .

What kind of owner will you be is another thing to consider . My bro loves his 120 and is perfectly happy to drive around in a posh badge and have it cared for by a garage but that would never work for me

The 120 is pretty much identical to work on. It's easier to get the back shocks off though. Is a 120 badge posher than a 90 badge? :)

As I lived in Africa (Zimbabwe) from the age of 6 where Toyota is king :) I've had a chance to drive a few LCs .. Probably the root cause of my obsession for them.
My Cousin has a FJ40 and a J80, driven both. Also had a chance with a 70 series belonging to a friend and finally drove the 120 i had in Jersey before sending it back across the pond due to rust. That is one great thing about Africa no rust!

Unfortunately i haven't driven a 90 series yet :p but all of the other models i have driven all handle better on the road then my 2004 Defender TD5! Off road my Defender is great for the little bit I do, and awesome for throwing gear in the back but its a hard daily driver and couldn't ever dream of taking it on the continent.

All the 120s i've looked at ,5, in total all seem to be pretty badly rusted on the chassis, however most have been from up North where i guess the roads are salted heavily.

Looking at another 120, a 2003, the dealer sent me a couple of photos last night hes under sealing with waxoil ,didn't send me any before photos ! I hate waxoil hides everything, it must a pain to get off if you ever wanted to.
005.JPG006.JPG

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Living on a small island & duty with import laws has been a wake up call to how fortunate we are in the uk. No restrictions on age, left hand drive & duties are so reasonable.
Here too in northern Cyprus Shayne your buying the car twice [emoji30]
Like you paying tax on engine size etc, book price and a arms length of other things feels like day light robbery.
Buying my 80 here was expensive 3 to 4 times the price in the uk. In doing so settled to this being the only car I will have here forever [emoji849]

Being a Japanese import there is almost no rust in 22 years even though I have treated the bottom to further protect.

Many companies in Japan with service records & detailed inspection documentation to overview in confidence.
Here is one example [emoji6]
http://www.goo-net-exchange.com/php/search/summary.php

I know what's it's like in your position & would recommend to get what you like because the costs of transport,
importing & taxes are high.......you only want to go through once & feel happy with what you have purchased.

Best of luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Indigo, will take a look

Many toyota techs say that D4D engine on 90 series is much more reliable than D4D on 120. From what I remember there's difference in injectors.

Haha does look pretty dodgy! He wants 6,900 for it 2003 with 120,000 miles 120 series, has the leather interior which is a plus but the waxoil is putting me off

I reckon you should be looking for an honest one owner from new truck deece , if it needs work then get it done and at least you know it's been done right . Your location is a hindrance so may i suggest you talk to Trev and Ed at Freedom 4x4 , these lads are of the forum and many of us have met them . If you can find a truck and take it to them you may have to return in a month but you will be taking home a good truck when its done .

Back