Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

97 prado or a 2003 D4D

deece

Country Flag
great_britain
I have couple posts now but as some of will know i'm looking at my first Land cruiser, has to be a SWB.

I'm stuck between getting a 97 or 2003, which is double the money. Is spending double the money worth getting the newer model?

for the 97 im looking at spending £3000-£3500 , 2003 looking at £6000-7000

Thanks for all the help, much appreciated

Dave

I went down this route and eventually decided in standard form a 2001 swb90 is better than both .

Thanks for that Shayne, will get in contact with them, more mileage then the prado I'm looking at on ebay but cheaper !

First and foremost you want a pic of the engine , there's a very good chance it will have the more modern D4D same as the 6 grand 120 version .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I originate from an island so i feel your pain . What is it 150 quid for a flight to the mainland ? so i would not be tempted by the convenience of buying local especially at that mileage for the older 1kz engine .

I have a black 1998 1KZTE SWB collie so when i set out to look for another i knew it had to be a black swb collie with the newer engine . They are few and far between so i didn't mind traveling 300 miles and staying in a hotel when i found one for sale . We were 5 miles away the following morning when the bugger txt me saying "sorry sold" , it was a long drive home :icon-rolleyes:

Island prices are extortionate so if you would genuinely consider paying that for the truck in your last link maybe you should look for a 120 on the mainland . When i said the 2001 90 is better than both a lot depends on personal tastes , when i looked a 120 with 100k on the clock it cost about double what a 90 with similar miles cost .

Thats dam unfortunate! I feel like I've been in the same boat as you, ive been after a LC for at least 9 years! ..I imported a 120 black 80,000 on the clock into Jersey last year but had to send it back as the chassis was at a turning point (rust) even though it passed MOT , had pictures but it didn't show the real extent, lost £600 in transport costs :( For that one here in Jersey I wouldn't pay the asking, especially for the mileage and year it is far to much. However just to import any of these into Jersey is about £1700 with GST and VED :( ... The link you pasted from gumtree the person hasn't replied but I'm quite keen on it.. however its a SORN so no MOTs on it and not sure about what sort of service history it will have. Hopefully he will respond. The 120 i was looking at is a green one on autotrader

£1700 to import a uk car to a crown dependency :shock: that's insane ! do you use some sort of dealer or agency ?

To me it boils down to 3 things.

1. Why are you buying a cruiser?
2. Drive both of them.
3. What condition are the vehicles in.

Now if they were in the EU :icon-biggrin:
They couldn't stick the GST on at least.

No i just took a peek at the process and its EU this and EU that very similar to Portugal and Spain so i reckon most of the trucks on this forum will be scrapped under EU law very soon .

No i just took a peek at the process and its EU this and EU that very similar to Portugal and Spain so i reckon most of the trucks on this forum will be scrapped under EU law very soon .

I wont hijack Deece's thread anymore with this. I'll ask you on the other thread. But GST looks like a sales tax to me so couldn't be charged on EU sourced imports if Jersey were in the EU.

Shayne, no dealer used as they would add an extra £500 at least. GST is General Sales Tax which is 5% in Jersey on imported goods new or second hand. Then we have the dreaded VED (Vehicle Emissions Duty) on imports and because of the engine size of a LC its about £1250, over 3 litres its ridiculous £1750, but also depends on co2 emissions for cars over year 2000 for an LC its still high any way. So GST + VED + Vehicle Registration and Inspection, i'm looking at roughly 1700-1800. This excludes the shipping costs etc! Its a bloody robbery! :( And they call this island VAT free :wtf:

Last edited:
To get back to the original question, I would recommend the newer truck for a couple of reasons.

1. It's going to be 6 years younger, so hopefully the interior, bodywork and underside will be in better shape.

2. The newer engine , in standard form, is significantly more powerful. (170 odd hp vs 130 odd)

3. Having run a 1kd for over 1/4 million miles, it is every bit as reliable as anything I've ever seen.

Happy shopping and I hope you get a good one, as they are a very well made unit

In my opinion, whether you buy the 6 year older one or not, BOTH trucks are going to be fairly old. So it really boils down to good service records and maintenance. Just because a trucks newer doesn't mean it's in better shape. I think if you end up paying twice as much for the 2003, it's not worth it.

I think you need to put this into perspective before making any decisions , you live on a rock and you will drive maybe 3000 miles a year if your lucky yes ?

Back