Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

A 2017 meeting

There is always spray and midge net hoods.
Hmmm, thanks for the thought but I'm not sure we are quite that keen yet. Our old neighbours went up there a few years ago. He enjoyed it, she, I'm told, looked like a coal man on a hot day!

I could be interested depending on dates. The Good Woman and I are planning to do the Route 500 this year so depending on when this occurs, we may be able to combine the trips.......

Hmm, let me think, Scotland, Geneva, Scotland Geneva ... So let's see, you're Scottish and you live where?

I was up there for a week with the same contact that Chris knows a year or so ago.
Lovely area and miles & miles of gravel tracks etc, nothing too tough at all, would love to go again but it's too far from me being on the south coast, just for a weekend!, there were no midges in September where we were, the locals use Avon skin so soft moisturiser spray to keep the wee beasties away
Andy

I could be interested depending on dates. The Good Woman and I are planning to do the Route 500 this year so depending on when this occurs, we may be able to combine the trips.......
This is what I'm thinking. Once dates are in place I'm thinking of doing my Scotland trip finally.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
One heck of a long way for a weekend Chris, so we would need to do other things, visit other places afterwards and make a week of it.
It's the midges that are concerning me. Presumably to catch it before they come out you have to go there before it warms up. If it's too cold or midge riden it could put Lynn off camping, and as she's very new to it I don't want to do that. The poor thing just attracts mozzies and midges, we would be ok cos they would all head for her, but that wouldn't be fun at all for her.
You have a blooming heater. Pipe it into the tent. How's many times have I said this rich?....... I know,I know the exhaust. Move it! Lol

Funny I was thinking of combining a Scotland trip as been talking with the other half about it for the last few weeks lol

Not interested in this personally but all I would say to anyone is don't be put off by the midges. D&G miles of open country with relatively few roads and people. A&B similar but more mountainous terrain as is further north. I go up there fishing with the LC and camping/touring on the bike and it's a beautiful part of the world. There are some very effective anti-midge potions available, Avon Skin so Soft being one of the best that works for me. When they are at their worst I've even worn women's tights (beneath trousers I might add!) which they don't seem to be able to bite through. 30 denier seems to be the best compromise between protection and uncomfortable sweatiness.

Last edited:
I wish I shared your optimism TP. I spend a good deal of time up there as we have a shoot in D&G and have done for 20 years. Doesn't matter what you do, the little bastards will tear you to bits. We've tried every potion going. I have shelves of the stuff. Nah, waste of time. Big fat cigar is the only thing that keeps them off. They can be so thick at times you're literally spitting them out. And the bites can last for up to 6 weeks.

Big fat cigar is the only thing that keeps them off.
Shall I run that one past Lynn d'you think? Or shall I just make her a present of a large Cuban on her birthday…?

I think for us to attend, realistically it has to be pre/post midge season or not at all. It does look achingly beautiful, so if a midge free, though slightly cooler time were to be selected, I think on balance that would be preferable. Especially if we are going to be travelling the length of the country to get there, I don't really want it to be hell on wheels if you catch my drift. I don't suppose I'm alone in thinking this really.

Pretty sure I could pipe that heater exhaust somewhere else… :) perhaps put some citronella in the heater fuel?

Don't forget the secret weapon, marmite, they're haters.

Don't forget the secret weapon, marmite, they're haters.
Does that mean we have to arm ourselves with WMD's, Weapons of Marmite Destruction, or do we have to spread it on all exposed skin?

I am up for it. Not fussed on distance. Well up for a Scotland meet

Hi guys.
Have we got any further about a Scotland meet? Chris, did you have any joy?

If Chris can't work his magic do we have any other ideas/options or someone who wants to get the ball rolling.

I'm wanting to get some dates in the diary so I can actually have some truck/ camping time this year. If the north thing comes off I'm going to carry on after the meet for a few days but I'm going to have to get planning something.

Thanks

Unfortunately I am out for 3 weeks, wont be able to do much during this time. But happy to kick in immediately after.

Quite keen on the North.

Still working on it Karl, just slightly pre-occupied with being made redundant at present.

But, I have to point out again to everyone that the intention of this was to be a be a meet for the guys up North. They have to get first dibs if I can arrange something. Because it will have to be limited by convoy size, priority has to go to them. It's not a Lincomb substitute, it's just a Club trip like we've had in the New Forest and Salisbury etc. There are those who just can't make it all the way down to the South or even the middle every time. If they're not bothered or we can't find an agreeable date then I probably wouldn't try to run it. It's just not sensible to go that far for essentially one day's driving in the hills. That's the point of it being a local trip for them. Cha get me?

Back