Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

A late summer bbq meeting ?

Thanks Karl, not sure if it is the relay yet or if I can get running but should have more news in the morning. At least it did the decent thing and failed at home not at the services tomorrow!!

It is soooo rare that these go. Really. Poor earth is common and also one battery down is typical. The internals in the starter are another fail point. The contacts burn away until the don't touch anymore.

Of course it can be the change over relay, but typically when people have had the same symptoms, it's not been that. Mine was a poor earth to the block. cleaned and tightened and all sorted.

If I can't get it going we'll be eating ratatouille for the next fortnight!! [emoji47]

At the moment Chris, I'm just trying to cover all bases and it won't be an assumption but proper troubleshooting. Thanks for the tips, I might even go and try the jump leads to the block tonight. I have had the contacts on the solenoid burn out and got a replacement pair from my pal who rewinds starters and alternators for his business. Not studlocking the three screws in the cover caused it to work loose and catch fire on a short circuit but that's a confession for another thread.

Earth strap is a possibility. You've got me thinking Chris…

Depending on what route and time you are on the road might be good to not travel alone.

I hope to m25/m40 up from here. Eta 2.30pm at venue. My mobile no is in the thread; happy to reroute if it helps.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Well it feels like the earth strap is still attached (unless it has a clip somewhere) and the resistance is way down low between - and block. I'll try the jump leads in the morning. Bit late now.

Thanks GOK it looks like I might have company from Chas and Lund from Around Southampton way so I should be OK. Thanks for the offer, really appreciate it.

be honest Chris. Most that ring me with starting issues come back for the relay. Not saying it defo is that though.
See how you get on rich. If you have no joy give me a buzz and ill tell you what to do. I gather its an auto? This is where the manual box is handy. Just have to park on a hill lol

Thanks Karl, depending what it is that's gone I have a few tricks up my sleeve and plenty of heavy cable if I need it plus a spare winch relay I could use to bridge a contact and still get things nicely done so we're not dead yet, just leaving it till the morning as don't want to upset the neighbours at this hour.

Thanks GOK it looks like I might have company from Chas and Lund from Around Southampton way so I should be OK. Thanks for the offer, really appreciate it.

I won't be anywhere near Bognor but we might meet up on the M40 somewhere.

See how we go Chas, looks like I misunderstood your location and route but not a problem. With luck we can pick up nearer the site.

Doubly miffed about this non starting now as Lynn now tells me she bumped into a fella in town with a big top hat on who informed her the world was going to end between the 22nd and 28th of September!![emoji15] And I might not have my cruiser!!! Typical!

They may well do Karl, but does that actually solve their issue? I did find that one of my contact posts was burning quite badly. That wasn't the cause, but I could see it was going. Then of course I went to 12 v start. But that's another running thread.

Wish I'd seen this earlier Richard, my truck is sitting on the drive in Fareham having not turned a wheel for several months. You'd be welcome to borrow a relay off it if it helps but no way of getting it to you now and I'm at work tomorrow.
Ian

Ian, thank you, that's most kind of you. If it is the relay (and I don't yet know) and I can get the truck going, then Karl has one for me. 'Tis going to be a testing morning in more ways than one. [emoji6]

Right folks, take it easy. Safe journeys and look forward to meeting everyone tomorrow at the show.

Ian, thank you, that's most kind of you. If it is the relay (and I don't yet know) and I can get the truck going, then Karl has one for me. 'Tis going to be a testing morning in more ways than one. [emoji6]

No worries. Hope you can get it sorted and get there without any drama's.
Have a good time all of you. I've been to the show for the last 3 years but work has got in the way this year. Shame as it would have been even better this year being able to meet up with you all.
Have fun.

We'll be arriving Saturday morning, staying Saturday night and leaving Sunday morning. If there's space we'll join the club pitch. I have an awning too if needed. Looking forward to it :icon-biggrin:

All packed and ready. Just a small question of some work to do first. Figure I've got my hours in this week, so I'll be on the road about lunchtime.

Back