Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

ABS issues

Rob

Garage
Took my truck in for an MOT knowing full well that it will fail on ABS so I handed them a print out of the ABS section of the FSM and they decided to do the MOT first even though I asked them to look at the ABS first. Anyway they had a go at sorting it today and they did the following:

Swapped front sensors
Swapped rear sensors
Checked for continuity on the rear looms

They can't find where the connector is for the front loom, does anyone know where it is and if it is easy to get to? Also the only code they are getting is open circuit front left or rear right. Also should I move the sensors back to where they were?

Taking tomorrow off work and if this continues I will just have to do it myself and probably pay for the privilege. Getting a full set of sensors and looms delivered to my at 9am tomorrow so should have what I need to put it right.

They can't find where the connector is for the front loom, does anyone know where it is and if it is easy to get to?
Did they have their eyes closed when they looked? Just above the front passenger side mud flap, follow the loom and it disappears round the corner of the panel and just behind there is the connector.

I think they did have their eyes closed, they were looking around in the foot well for the ECU to tap into the front loom and could not find that either with the FSM to hand. I do not really understand their fault finding method as they are leaving the most obvious to last, especially when I told them to check continuity on the front loom first:icon-twisted:. Why is it so difficult to find a competent garage:angry-screaming:. If someone does know one in Bristol please let me know.

I assume that it is easy to replace the front loom in that case Jon? Think I will do it myself if that is the case, or pull the bulb when they are not looking:shifty:

Pretty easy to replace the whole loom yes. I patched up the one on the red car when a wire broke inside the insulation where it leaves the control arm and removed it to do so. Had to check continuity to find that it was the front loom and pretty sure I was getting the same kind of confusing front or back code as you. There is nothing special about the wire inside if you work out where it is broken.

I know you're probably joking but pulling the bulb shouldn't work, they have to check it lights up when the ignition is turned on. You can piggy back it onto another circuit but you're into cutting and joining wires then :whistle:

Last edited:
P.S. don't forget to break those bearings in gently, be a real shame to be back to square one with that! 15min run then check it and work your way up from that depending how the temps are.

Thanks for the help Jon. Of course I am only joking about the bulb, if they are thorough enough to find that rear upper arm bush then I am sure they will notice the bulb is missing.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Will keep an eye on the bearings, will PM you.

All sorted now, checked continuity on front loom and nothing on the front left sensor. BTW don't expect to use the buzzer function on your multimeter as there is too much resistance across the wires to get the buzzer to work. You actually need to read the display.

Back