Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

AC condenser

warrenpfo

Where is the best place to source one from. Mine has started to fall apart and am happy to go OEM if that's what is recommended but if there is a good 3rd party supplier that is recommended then I will use them.

In no rush as its on the list of jobs to do but just wanted to ask.

Oh and are the O-rings all the same size as I would like to replace them too whilst I am at it or are there differing sizes.

Motorclimate Birmingham. 0121 766 5006. You must also change the drier as the system has been opened. The new condenser comes plugged and is evacuated. Hearing a hiss on removing a plug proves the condenser is OK. As a precaution I would get the system recharged with coolant containing a UV dye. A cheap UV torch off ebay works very well to spot any leaks. Check the large diameter bulkhead pipe. They can rot out round the back. Keep the old O rings for patterns as I was supplied with the wrong ones. Though tightish they leaked.

If you lose O ring sizes I'll measure my spares for you.

Thanks Frank

An indication of O ring size would be great as I would like to get all the bits prior to opening her up and changing parts. She still has a little bit of gas in and it's PM that I am doing as the condenser is falling apart at the bottom.

Got a new drier for mine the other week. Not fitted it yet. Will do that just before I refill it. Was only about £25 from memory

I got the condensor and a radiator from a local place called Sutton Auto Factors. Was very happy with the quality and they were reasonably priced.
I did not know about this drier thingie though, will have to have a look for one.

Got mine from Autorads in Sheffield. Fitted it myself, they even gave me a selection of O rings as I wanted to replace those in other joints in the system, then took it back for a regas. That must be over 2 years ago and it's been fine since.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
This is a useful thread, as after replacing my radiator I found my AC condenser was literally falling to pieces...

I think my bulkhead pipes are corroded as they seem glued to the bulkhead heat shield. I don't think these parts are easily sourced from Toyota, is it practical to have the existing pipes mended, e.g. holes welded up? Would welcome some suggestions on how to fix.

Welding not so good. You can end up with bits getting washed into the pump. And it's very thin. You can quite successfully cut them and joint them with a compression fitting so I hear. Or get a set from a breaker such as Karl.

Or pinch them off your spare truck if you happen to have one :eusa-whistle:

Warren

There are 11 x O rings, imperial measurements :-

A. 3 .095 thickness x .725 OD (1pump, 1evaporator, 1joint).
B. 3 .095 x .625 (1pump, 2 condenser).
C. 1 .075 x .545 (switch).
D. 4 .410 x .075 (2drier, 1joint, 1evaporator).

There are 3 valves on the pump which also come with slide fitting O rings. Best to replace the whole valve assemblies.

My motorclimate parts were fitted 2years/9000 miles ago and still look like new.

All the joints are accessible from the engine compartment. There is no point in taking out the evaporator as there are no further joints inside the box. The evaporator is extra heavy duty and looks like one of those old Victorian cast iron radiators!

I don't think Toyota supply the O rings unless you buy the pipes.

I've just had a very careful look and measurement of my original 1995 O rings and they look like new with no perishing or distortion.

Frank

Thanks for the advice on the pipes. I'll take mine apart to see if they have any holes or damage, they just a bit corroded from the front. Those O rings sizes from Frank will be useful when I get round to this.

sorry to barge in and I know this is my first post but I browse this forum now and then.

you should be adding pag 46 to any component replaced.i cant remember, the exact amount is in the fsm. about 2oz per component is not a bad rule of thumb.

don't want you trashing your pump mate.

Last edited:
Right chaps i have been keeping an eye on good old eBay and two have come up one from Euro Car parts made by EIS and the other from parts for less made by AVA cooling. One being £83 and the other £70 with a discount code. They are a lot cheaper than anything else i have heard of or found and wondered if there was a good reason for this or if its worth a punt

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-LA...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5d4e966633

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A-C-Air-C...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item51c12d2065

Bought the one I fitted to the GX on ebay for £50 ( 3rd time listed) and 2 more from Lincoln Rads for £75, Driers £25.

Andy

Can anyone confirm the amount of PAG oil required and the weight for an 80 series compressor?

Thanks

ND8 or ISO46 oil, maybe 50ml if only the condenser replaced and nothing else done. 850G R134a gas if only front A/C.

Dave I only have front ac. I am not replacing any components yet but should the current system hold pressure I am keen to make sure the correct amount of oil if not slightly more is in the system.

its in the FSM, as I said 2oz wont be far off. if your adding it directly to the compressor turn the compressor pulley whilst adding the oil so it wont hydrolock.

I fitted an after market condenser once. it leaked after two years. now I have oem.

I fitted an after market rad once. it leaked after two years. now I have oem...

Back