Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Advice on how to clean up cooking oil from my wife's car?

spackrackman

I have managed to spill about 15litres of cooking oil in the rear footwell of my wife's crv... Bolloxs! Henry Hoover has managed to suck a couple of litres back but somewhere there must be another 10 litres hiding. I assume the sound proofing has soaked it up. Any suggestions in how to get it out without stripping the seats and pulling the carpet out.

Help me

Jeez 15L is a lot. You must tell how that happened.

Like all fluids they will migrate/travel to the lowest point so I would try parking on a very steep hill or jack the front end up as high as you feel comfortable and see what comes.

That aside I cant think of anything else that will help.

Sorry, but I fear the only way you'll get that out properly is to strip and thoroughly clean...and even then some of it might not be saveable.

What if I did the parking thing, I like that idea, heat the car so it thins and runs and then I suck, then I put some nice thick plastic matts and forget about it. I assume the oil won't smell or go off so ....

We use a lot of oil in my job for lubricating drain liners as they go in, and every now and then some clumsy oaf (sometimes me) splits a drum of the stuff and it goes everywhere in the back of the van. Now the van is ply lined so most of it can be scooped out, but for the last little bits we will throw sand over the floor and brush it around, this soaks up the oil and makes it much easier to collect up. Not sure how useful this is in your case but thought I'd mention it. As an aside, I can't imagine the ply lining in our van will ever rot!

We spilt milk in the wifes Disco, never realised what a pain it would be.

I was advised by a valeter to keep it damp, then they used their super hoover on it. Still stank for ages though.

So my advice is, take it to a good valeter !

Pete

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
We spilt milk in the wifes Disco, never realised what a pain it would be.

I was advised by a valeter to keep it damp, then they used their super hoover on it. Still stank for ages though.

So my advice is, take it to a good valeter !

Pete

Milk is an absolute nightmare! My father in law tipped 2 liters of fresh cow milk in the back of my 80 and "forgot" to tell me. Three days later I found out, my goodness what a stink. Had to strip out all the rear carpet and soak it in the bath with disinfectant and 100's of gallons of rinse water.

I used a roller to continuously squeeze out the under felt, to dilute the bloody stuff away.

It cured the smell but a lot of work to get it out.

I've got no idea what to suggest with the cooking oil, I think the carpet may have "had its chips" so to speak. Removal and a good rinse in petrol may be the answer. Then a hot wash in the bath with loads of detergent. No quick answer to that one I'm afraid.

Still the car will run very "crisp and dry" from now on!:lol:

Maybe after removal, you could take it to the jet wash and jet it out on the hot water cycle. You could even get a shampoo and rinse at the same time!

Last edited:
Tesco Everyday Value Lightweight Cat Litter http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=262681114 is very good for soaking up oil and fuel spills. I've kept a bag of this in the shed for some time now and deploy it in the event of a spill, if you can leave it down or in situ for a couple of days the better. It has the ability to draw the oil from out of my paving and really works very well. I used a bag full just last week to soak up some spilt deisel while removing the deisel tank from Fiery and it worked really well once again. Not sure if you would be able to use it in you situation but it may be of some limited use to you.

Last edited:
Sae70

Great idea, yep I can leave it in for a few days as it will be my wife driving around with it around her feet.

Thanks everyone!

Will let you know how i get on. The cooking oil was for my 70, was in a rush, chucked in 6 x 20 litres in the back, one decided to leak.

Plenty of sawdust rubbed in then hoovered out, several times will get rid of most of it.
Frank

Back