Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Africa 2012 - 2013

Have been planning to go through africa and actually thought that Moz was one of the key destinations. I reckon I would fit front and rear winches to try and be as self recoverable as possible but in this case as you point out a reversing camera may be just as useful. I wonder would have offering a smaller amount of cash say $50 bought you some allies or would it have just made it worse. Even if they had robbed you of everything do yo think they would have let you walk away or would it have gotten more serious? Not a nice question but I'm intrigued.

Don't let our episode put you off exploring Mozambique. My disappointment was, as Ram says above, because I remember something different. The country itself is still very very beautiful as you can see from the photos.
Giving money to one, only alienates that one individual and if you have money to give one, then you must have more money to give another... not a good move IMO. The last part is a difficult question to answer. I have been in similar situations before and you can generally talk your way out of trouble. The complication comes with having a female with you, as your decisions and actions are different for obvious reasons.

I have a bunch of mates who went to Africa as voluntary aid workers (seems ironic because they all came back with AIDS and most with enough money to buy a house cash) but anyway , from the stories they've told me you MUST bribe officials but arrogance works best when the crowd has no uniform . It seems as a general rule the locals will bow down to authority even if its only assumed .

However when a 9 year old boy points a gun at you and issues a command , obey because he will shoot you !

Last edited:
Don't let our episode put you off exploring Mozambique. My disappointment was, as Ram says above, because I remember something different. The country itself is still very very beautiful as you can see from the photos.
Giving money to one, only alienates that one individual and if you have money to give one, then you must have more money to give another... not a good move IMO. The last part is a difficult question to answer. I have been in similar situations before and you can generally talk your way out of trouble. The complication comes with having a female with you, as your decisions and actions are different for obvious reasons.

Hindsight is wonderful and its great you are able to share your experiences on the forum. Thinking again about it would airbags have been any use ( the type that inflate from your exhaust) and on a less serious note how about 3 blow up dolls on the back seat to boost your numbers!

i was tring to look at your blog and i might be a numpty but i dont seem to be able to get very far where is all the picture and blog i seem to get to a point but no further then the main screen for the part you have writen? went to moz in december was amazing but a diffenent country to be in dont think i would want to be there for very long 10 days was enough for me.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Great read - talk about an adventure!! Roll on Malawi

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

i was tring to look at your blog and i might be a numpty but i dont seem to be able to get very far where is all the picture and blog i seem to get to a point but no further then the main screen for the part you have writen? went to moz in december was amazing but a diffenent country to be in dont think i would want to be there for very long 10 days was enough for me.
The home page has a number of drop down menus under each heading.

Another great chapter. Thanks Lazz

Part 3 of 4 - Malawi - finally published (see my blog)

I can't seem to load the blog on my iPad. I mean the blog loads but only headings and no further text or pictures.

Warren on my iPad, in Portrait view, a tab with GOTO appears. Touch that and a drop down menu will appear.

In landscape view, a list of headings appear. Tap the heading and a drop down will appear.

Rolllence

Thanks for sharing Rollence. It is these kind of travels that keep me motivated in preparing my LC80 for my own Southern African adventures. Looking forward to your Zim blog.......and Namibia Sept 2013 !!!!!

Thanks Hans and keep on with the prep. Have got huge amounts of video and photos to wade through and try and put something together, so hopefully before too long will have part 4, Zim up.

This time going to try a write a little every couple of days on the Namibia trip, so should be easier at the end.

When are you planning to be en Afrique?

A great update
Thanks

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Tapatalk 2

Another great update. Thanks. Looking forward to the next chapter.

Thanks Hans and keep on with the prep. Have got huge amounts of video and photos to wade through and try and put something together, so hopefully before too long will have part 4, Zim up.

This time going to try a write a little every couple of days on the Namibia trip, so should be easier at the end.

When are you planning to be en Afrique?

Looking forward to those video's...

We had hoped to go for next year but circumstances dictate that we need to shift it to 2015.

Another great chapter Lazz, thanks

Great stuff Lazz. Looks like the "electrikery 101 " course came in handy :whistle:

Back