Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Africa 2012 - 2013

Great read Lazz. I've not been to Moz, but it does sadden me to see what was once lovely now run down. Lucky escape indeed for you, that could have got really nasty!

Must say those beach scenes did make me homesick!

Yep the beaches are stunning aren' they... completely deserted too, so miles of white sand with no one to spoil the experience. Really surprised us that they were so very empty. Did meet a lot of South Africans who vowed never to go back to Moz because of the corruption, aggression and general hassle with going there. The further North the fewer tourists we saw.

Enjoyed that, thanks for sharing. Great pics, glad you got out of the bog in one piece. Pleased to hear the garage did a good job of repairing the 80, its looking great in the pics, right at home!

Very nice trip update and I look forward to the next installment.

Has it made you think a winch might be called for if on your own or was there nothing to attach the winch too. I guess seen as you where so stuck it may not have worked but traveling on your own a winch might be worth some thought.

Very nice trip update and I look forward to the next installment.

Has it made you think a winch might be called for if on your own or was there nothing to attach the winch too. I guess seen as you where so stuck it may not have worked but traveling on your own a winch might be worth some thought.

Warren, I have a winch and have used it a couple of times on my travels in the past. Not only was there nowhere to attach it to, but there was no way the truck could be winched out. The goo held it fast. We tried with the recovery truck, but something would have broken for sure. Needed to be lifted out of the mire.... unless you meant a rear winch??

Last edited:
Great read! Getting stuck like that must have been terribly scary.

Out of curiosity have you thought if you would handle anything differently if you were in that situation again? Would more assertiveness/aggression right up front helped the situation at all ... or where you just that far into the worst possible part of town nothing you feel that you could have done would have helped? I think the situation you were in there must almost be every overlanders worst nightmare (well only could be worse if they were armed as well!)

Looking forward to the next part!

Just looking at the video again ... there was such little evidence to indicate just how much you were going to sink there!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Great read! Getting stuck like that must have been terribly scary.

Out of curiosity have you thought if you would handle anything differently if you were in that situation again? Would more assertiveness/aggression right up front helped the situation at all ... or where you just that far into the worst possible part of town nothing you feel that you could have done would have helped? I think the situation you were in there must almost be every overlanders worst nightmare (well only could be worse if they were armed as well!)

Looking forward to the next part!

Out-right aggression doesn't work in those situations, Africans have a way about them that you understand if you're from that part of the world. Assertiveness for sure as you can't let anyone think your an easy target. What would I have done differently??? well I guess I should have realised that being near the ocean, the water table may have been as high as it was, but the ground gave little indication of its nature. I really should have known exactly what part of town we were in and trying to explore a town in late afternoon wasn't particularly clever. Learn Portuguese, defo would have helped. There are lots of coulda, shoulda, woulda's, but sometimes things just happen that you can't prepare for. Over tens of thousands of Kms throughout parts of Africa, this was the first really dangerous situation where we could have been in real trouble.

The thing I find with trips like this is that afterwards (perhaps years even) these are the time you will remember and look back to. I do think these incedents make the trip (as bad as they may be at the time)

The thing I find with trips like this is that afterwards (perhaps years even) these are the time you will remember and look back to. I do think these incedents make the trip (as bad as they may be at the time)

Spot on Tony.... I think its all part of the allure of travelling... wouldn't want to repeat the episode though, especially with a woman to protect... we both know the score on that "en Afrique".

Great trip report Olazz. :clap:

It must have been a very scary situation to find yourself in. :shock:

So very sad to see the state of the hotel, I can only imagine how grand it must have once looked. :icon-cry:

I always feel inspired to get out and do some big trips when reading trip reports, but...........................

I think Australia is a safer place to travel, than some of the dangerous areas in Africa and the middle east that people go to. :think:

Looking forward to the reading the rest when its up. :thumbup:

Brilliant trip report and fantastic videos/pictures :clap: . The beaches look stunning though it is a shame how the country has deteriorated and now full of corruption. It must have been scary getting stuck, but what a lucky rescue.

Spot on Tony.... I think its all part of the allure of travelling... wouldn't want to repeat the episode though, especially with a woman to protect... we both know the score on that "en Afrique".
I was a trawlerman for many years and it goes without saying the best memories always relate to the worst circumstances - force 9 gale and increasing , taking in water faster than we can pump it out and 30 miles to shore - oh what fun we had :happy-bouncyshadow::eh: ?

Fantastic read Lazz, :thumbup: there are some beautiful pics there, I'm so glad you and Jo got out of that very 'sticky' situation okay :shock:, it must have been extremely fraught at the time

Great trip report Olazz. :clap:
It must have been a very scary situation to find yourself in. :shock:
So very sad to see the state of the hotel, I can only imagine how grand it must have once looked. :icon-cry:
I always feel inspired to get out and do some big trips when reading trip reports, but...........................
I think Australia is a safer place to travel, than some of the dangerous areas in Africa and the middle east that people go to. :think:
Looking forward to the reading the rest when its up. :thumbup:

Sadly thats what happens in many parts of Africa. Glad your enjoying it Ben. I think emigrating to Australia is a much bigger adventure, so your doing your own inspiring chap !

Brilliant trip report and fantastic videos/pictures :clap: . The beaches look stunning though it is a shame how the country has deteriorated and now full of corruption. It must have been scary getting stuck, but what a lucky rescue.
Yes the Indian ocean beaches are stunningly beautiful aren't they. Very proud of the way Jo coped with the threat and the the whole situation.

I was a trawlerman for many years and it goes without saying the best memories always relate to the worst circumstances - force 9 gale and increasing , taking in water faster than we can pump it out and 30 miles to shore - oh what fun we had :happy-bouncyshadow::eh: ?
Aye, done a bit of green water myself... got a few yarns to tell there too!

Fantastic read Lazz, :thumbup: there are some beautiful pics there, I'm so glad you and Jo got out of that very 'sticky' situation okay :shock:, it must have been extremely fraught at the time
Chas,, like most situations of that kind I think it's the small things can can tip the balance from escape to disaster. I'm not sure how I would have handled it had I not been through many similar situations before, with baying hoards of "war veterans" wanting blood. Without doubt that we had someone to translate when I was being screamed at 2 inched from my face and had to respond, helped. If its not your time... its not your time !

And that is why I didn't go any further than Dover! And we still got robbed there when we were inside the castle. I can't imagine Mrs Chris signing up for anything like that. Mind you, neither can I unless I take the pump action and a .45 ACP with me.

Chris

And that is why I didn't go any further than Dover! And we still got robbed there when we were inside the castle. I can't imagine Mrs Chris signing up for anything like that. Mind you, neither can I unless I take the pump action and a .45 ACP with me.

Chris

Calmness under fire... you know the drill chap! You'd be fine as would everyone else on here. As you pointed out you could get robbed and shot at Tesco. The only issue is if you're travelling with an "hysterical and nervous sort"... then you're starting out with a potential problem already.

Last edited:
if you're travelling with an "hysterical and nervous sort"... then you're starting out with a potential problem already.
That'll be me then. :lol: :lol:

I was really surprised that in a place like that they were able to call up such a monsterous and modern recovery lorry! Mind you, he probably didn't have to pull many people out at those prices to be able to afford one.

I think my first trip needs to be in a convoy. Probably an armed one.

C

Great trip report and beutiful pics lazz, it breaks your heart when you go back to your chilhood places and see them in complete ruines,i feel sad whenever i look at kampala rd on youtube and think what a beutiful place it used to be, sadly no more. I guess the 1 saving grace when you got stuck and were being harassed by a greedy and menacing mob that a couple stepped up and did the right thing,as they say there is good and bad every where
looking forward to next episode

I'm with you Chris! Have been planning to go through africa and actually thought that Moz was one of the key destinations. I think you had some valuable inside knowledge being from SA originally but for an outsider things could get tricky easily. I reckon I would fit front and rear winches to try and be as self recoverable as possible but in this case as you point out a reversing camera may be just as useful. I remember reading a similar blog about the belgian couple who travelled in the congo with similar situations but again they were experienced overlanders and spoke the native language. I wonder would have offering a smaller amount of cash say $50 bought you some allies or would it have just made it worse. Even if they had robbed you of everything do yo think they would have let you walk away or would it have gotten more serious? Not a nice question but I'm intrigued.

Back