Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Age old topic about coolant

Nuclear Chicken

I need to do a coolant change in RAV4 and LC120. This is about 20l of the stuff. Lindop just quoted me about £120 for 4 x 5l containers of the pink super long life stuff. And I can't even remember if that includes VAT. Holy crap.

Is this for real or is there anywhere else that does a similar product for less money? I'm having a really hard time justifying that amount for glorified water....Bearing in mind the RAV has 120k and my LC has 93k on the clock and super long life coolant apparently means 100k miles ...... :shock: :shock: :shock: Is it really worth it?

What about getting the Toy red stuff at about half that price? Still not cheap but maybe a better match of service life and the time you expect to keep the cars?
I presume the RAV and 120 can use the red coolant?

Cheers,

My friendly parts man said I could use red.

Well, great debate to have. Again. I like a moan.

OK I use T Red - OK. That's established, but why? Anyone remember the story of Chicken Licken? he was convinced that the sky was going to fall in and rushed around telling everyone. And in the end, children... IT DIDN'T.

I have tried to find what is in this magical T red stuff and know what, it's basically glycol based antifreeze. I would have no problem whatsoever in using off the shelf antifreeze. Next time I change, which won't be for a couple of years yet, I will use commercial coolant. Now, there IS a reagent in the red stuff which turns it yellow in the presence of exhaust gas to show that you head has gone. Trust me, you won't need a colour change to know that it's gone.

Yada yada 'why take the chance and all that?' Because it's basically boll***s that's why. Now you pay your money and you take your chance, so this is not saying 'Hey everyone I have researched this and confirmed that it is so special that you must only use it and nowt else'

But look at it this way. There are a billion Toyota 'Luxes running around with 50 cals on the back, old troopies crossing the desert, builders carrying cement - and all these people have red in their rads. I DON'T THINK SO. My mate doesn't even run with water in his Lux, by the look of it. What properties would be soooo special that you'd need a dedicated coolant. I have NEVER heard a dealer say .No you must never put anything else in it'. In fact I don't even think the handbook is that strongly worded. The FSM just says glycol based AF.

Urban legend. That's what I reckon. Now where's that damn chicken? :animals-chickencatch: :violence-sniperdark:

Have always used the Halfrauds Advanced pink anti freeze, it has a 5 year life although have never run it that long.

I'm sure the Toyota stuff is good but it doesn't mean nothing else will do, it's just an easy choice if you're not a risk taker :lol: I use Unipart super OAT or at least I think that's what it's called, it's not something I look at a lot :)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Had a look at the Halfords stuff. It seems to fit the bill but I can't see any difference between their 'Advanced' and their regular other than £3 price difference in 5 litres. LC manual says non-silicate, non-amine, non-nitrile and non-borate ( :? ) with hybrid organic acid technology blah blah. Wording in the RAV manual is similar but not quite as comprehensive. The Halfords stuff is at least some of that but I'll investigate further. Either way non-Toyo stuff that ticks the boxes is worth a punt. Halfords is about 1/2 to 2/3 the price for what I can see is similar stuff.

I'll price round and see what I can come up with.

Thanks again folks. Lots of servicing planned for over the hols inclusing brake fluid changes too....

The standard is a 2 year life and Advanced is 5 yr, not sure what I would pay for this, but I have a trade card and get good discount on own brand stuff.

Back