Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Air con re-gas

chapel gate

Supporter
Promoted Company
Country Flag
england
With summer brewing and the old air conditioning in the 80 not being as cool as it can be, I went to my normal place to get it recharged.
I had it last done about 3-4 years ago, it was 50 notes then..

90 BLOODY QUID!!

Keep the gas in there folks... .

R134A is something like £90 a kilo now. It doubled over night. Madness. They should make them run on CO2 and recharge off fire extinguishers. :lol:

That's exactly what the gaffer said. Also mentioned something about cheaper Chinese gas being banned.

Oh dear. Mine has been perfect then suddenly - pffuut. Nothing. Sans gas. Can't see any evidence of a leak, but the price of a recharge makes me think I'll drive with the windows open instead.

Mine gave up the ghost recently, tracked down with a sniffer to leak(s) in the pipes leading to rear unit. A/C man suggested cutting and capping those pipes so just the front unit gets fed. I hardly ever use the A/C, usually have the window open, but might go for it just to keep the compressor lubed and happy. £65 ish for a refill.

Iv never had a vehicle where the AC does work.... As Chris says, Windows and sun roof Open. A breeze always cools you down..

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I cut the rear pipes to my 100 rear air con. You have to cut them close to their T with the front pipes ensuring there is no down hill dead end. If there is the oil can slowly build up here as there is no circulation. This starves the pump.

On the 80 I found a hidden leak to the rear of the horizontal bulkhead pipe LHS looking. It touched the insulation and damp/corrosion had happened. Several other more obvious leaks as well lol.

I had one go in exactly the same place Frank. Not sure where the smoke has leaked out this time though

Have a look on Groupon - ATS have a special on for a re-charge.

In other news - I think my front condenser needs replacing (Fins falling out...) - Is this an easy DIY job? Any recommendations on suppliers?

Not difficult no. Hmm I think I got one from Autokool. They're all much of a muchness. Worth about 3 years of hard service then they fall to bits.

Got mine re-gassed today, first time since I bought the L.C eighteen months ago, 30 Euros or about 26 squid.
He told me the a.c rad was in poor condition and I really should think about changing it by next summer.

Newer refrigerant R1234yf is even more expensive to buy. We do a £60 ac regas/service but have to charge more on newer stuff.

Iv never had a vehicle where the AC does work.... As Chris says, Windows and sun roof Open. A breeze always cools you down..
unfortunately that doesn't work for me higgy.
I cant stand being stuck boiling hot in a tin box. I remember being stationary on a Italian motorway on the way to Venice. we didn't move for over two hours and it was 36 c..

I love me aircon..

Air con good in winter as it dries the glass.

I had a repro evaporator. After a bit it was covered in tiny stains. No one big leak. They must have used filter paper fins.

unfortunately that doesn't work for me higgy.
I cant stand being stuck boiling hot in a tin box. I remember being stationary on a Italian motorway on the way to Venice. we didn't move for over two hours and it was 36 c..

I love me aircon..

Not so exotic but I was stuck on the dual carriageway, in front of the Watford Tesco Extra yesterday afternoon, temp was probably only 20C but with no aircon in a stationary car, it might as well been twice that. Felt so sleepy after a while - though that might just be me getting old! :oops:

My aircon has given up the ghost and needs more than a simple re-gas :think: . Another issue to add to the every increasing list of "outstanding" items. :cry:

In my other cars, I just leave the climate control on "Auto" all year round and let the car maintain a constant temp.

Air con good in winter as it dries the glass.

I had a repro evaporator. After a bit it was covered in tiny stains. No one big leak. They must have used filter paper fins.
I do just the same for de misting/icing the windscreen. Much faster.

Back