Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

All Dash lights flashing whilst driving

HauptRenate

Hi ya'll
Just need a little advice - was driving back tonight to where I now live in Bournemouth on the A338 and all my dash lights began flashing whilst driving - thre was no 'coded' flashes, just lots of flashing lights then things seemed to calm down and then began flashing again; battery, brake, engine, diffs, turbo, all of them in no particular order - as you can imagine I was a little scared.
I managed to get back home but dearly need some advice about this.
Thanks so much
Renate

Isn't that the international signal for alternator over charging?

Chris

Hi Renate

When you next go out in it check the Battery gauge on the clocks. If the alternator is on its way out it will show half way or under. A good charging truck should sit around 3/4 on the gauge.

Karl

Yep I agree with Chris, I reckon the regulator is shot.

OUt of interest has your alternator recently got really wet, or filled with mud?

I had this on mine. Could well be a loose earth wire somewhere. My wiper stopped working at the same time and my loose/corroded earth was in the upper tailgate. Check all your controls work and if one does not it may narrow down where the loose earth is.

Frank

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I know that the os small earth that mounts to the inner wing can cause a issue if not earthed properly. Had the same issues on mux a while back and it just turned out to be the alternator was shot.
I hope it is just the alternator as it will be a far quicker and easier fix than a dodgy connection somewhere else.

Yeah
Sussed out that the alternator belt is broken, and the alternator has a large double-sized hole when a single bolt hole should have been. To get to it took out air filter cage and undid bolts, which broke, and then alternator out - f****d, so basically had it towed and toyo won't even touch it and I cannot afford to get a new alternator and belt and I have to somewhere get it off their parking lot before friday so have had to consider scrapping it or part-exchange or auction it off as is. No idea how much it is worth, if anything. Sadly I fear da Beast has to go, finally, after owning it for 12 years :-(

Yeah
Sussed out that the alternator belt is broken, and the alternator has a large double-sized hole when a single bolt hole should have been. To get to it took out air filter cage and undid bolts, which broke, and then alternator out - f****d, so basically had it towed and toyo won't even touch it and I cannot afford to get a new alternator and belt and I have to somewhere get it off their parking lot before friday so have had to consider scrapping it or part-exchange or auction it off as is. No idea how much it is worth, if anything. Sadly I fear da Beast has to go, finally, after owning it for 12 years :-(

Thanks all so much for your input.
I aint now seriously thinking of part-exchanging it, auctioning it or otherwise scrapping it - however, still can't really afford to pay for him to 'exist' in ma dreams of returning to Afica.
Interestingly, surprised me that's for sure (since I thought disconnected bits would compromise ignition start-up) - Beast started up straightaway this morning, then again on da garage forecourt so enough juice still available in da batteries - don't suppose the alternator can be repaired so it can be fixed on its mount again?
Regards
Renate
So will have to buy a new one almost certainly.

get a used one of karl or stef.

couple of new belts and off you go

Should you not be able to get a used one a worn mounting hole is an easy repair, even without welding.

Renate,

The vehicle will run for a surprising amount of time on good batteries. Starting it is the biggest drain, and lights, if it is Diesel there is not even an ignition circuit to use power. A friend of mine once ran a single battery motorhome from about 50 miles inside France to his house near Gatwick, all with no alternator input.

Yeah
You can't be serious ??

Scrap it, auction it, just because you need a second hand alternator?
Even if money is tight, I guess a working second hand alternator from the forum sellers is only going to set you back some thing like £80. ?

Right ?

Gra.

Electrically the Alt. is probably OK. The shaking around from the loose bolt probably loosened the signal wire, this will cause the flashing of the instrument lights. Repair the hole and try it, if it does not work get the diodes tested by someone that knows what they are, they can lose a diode, not expensive to replace. The regulator is a possible but they are fairly reliable on this vehicle. Alternator brushes are my first suggestion though, it is worth replacing those while you have it out whether they are the problem or not, and yes, alternators do have brushes.

The Alternator belt?, mine runs Two.

Mine too! :shifty:

I'm with Gra when you speak of scrapping the car, never heard such nonsense! :wtf: A couple of strong washers either side of an ovalised mounting hole should hold if it's pinched-up tight enough. Otherwise a s/h unit would do you. For 80 quid, I spend that on diesel every week. Wouldn't dream of scrapping the car because the tank was empty. :icon-rolleyes:

Good luck Renate!

Back