Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Alternative extra spare wheel.

Dave2000

Supporter
Country Flag
spain
I was looking for an alternative EXTRA spare wheel. The OE space under the rear is going to be used for a sub tank setup so, the plan is to move the OE spare to the rear door as per the JDM (anyone got a JDM wheel carrier for sale?) and then need a second spare. I was working on the idea of the space saver spares the modern cars have, well most of them now that spare wheels are being phased out altogether now. I had thought about two very thin spares one on top of the other bolted to the rear carrier but that would no doubt fall foul of the 'Guardia Traffico' (Traffic Police) over here.So, I must carry a full size spare as per OE, that leaves me looking for a second spare for when off-roading in the middle of nowhere, as I hope to never need it on normal roads it must of course at least fit and have a similar RR. The roof is the obvious choice so lightness is also important, apart from the payload I am not getting any younger, the other idea depends on the size (depth) of the sub tank as in fixing it below the same and would it bring the spare lower than OE which for my use is OK, your thoughts?regardsDave

Last edited:
A friend in SA used to carry a second spare tyre (without rim) on the roof when going into the bush. His full spare was on swing out carrier on an 80 series, He figured he would be able to fit the tyre in case of 2nd spare being required.
I carried 2 spare wheels on swing out rear carriers on my 80, but a 285/75/16 on a steel rim is damn heavy to put on a rear wheel carrier let alone trying to put on the roof especially without assistance.
The OEM sub tanks allow you to fit the spare under the tank without impacting on clearance. This was the original setup on my 80 EFI OZ spec model but I found it almost impossible to fit a 285/75/16 in the allocated space and when I swapped the 55L OEM sub tank for a 165L third party product then had no option but to use the rear carrier.
In the UK I have a 100 series VX to which I have fitted LPG and the tank is where the spare should be. I bought a rear carrier kit from these folks:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-FJ...s_SM&fits=Car+Make:Toyota&hash=item3c9e1dde68

Just haven't been home long enough to fit it yet. You also need the lower mounting bracket which is a Toyota part number and need to manufacture a top reinforcing /mounting plate.
There is an excellent write up under the 100 series section on this mod.

Last edited:
On the bonnet hmmm not so sure, apart from the reduced visibility you have the problem of reinforcing the bonnet plus upgrading the lifting dampers. It will be a major schlep to lift into the middle of the bonnet without damaging bodywork.

Thanks for the thoughts thus far, I will not get away with the bonnet as per a lot of the older Land Rovers because that would be considered a serious modification and would attract unwelcome attention from the police over here.

I used to only use steel wheels when seriously off roading, the advantage of banging out a dent is very attractive but oh the weight! I will be using the oem sub tank so I could get away having two full size spares, sounds perfect thanks for that.

regards

Dave

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
That is a little OTT (and expensive) for me Steve however even if I wanted/could afford it unless there is a homologation licence number for it then it would make my car illegal here in Spain. Spain in many ways still lives in the dark ages of communism, displays of individuality are still frowned upon and control is seen as important! So, if a manufacturer wants to sell his wares here he must get a licence, this is going to be very expensive indeed, he then looks at the reluctance of people wanting to 'stand out' (forget need) and recognises the market is quite small so does not bother.

regards

Dave

There's no doubt that they're heavy. I have hauled mine onto the roof rack more times that I would have liked.

Surprisingly without affecting road performance, cornering etc. The 80, even with a lift, is amazingly stable.

Getting them on the roof is quite easy with a luggage strap fixed to the wheel, then climb up with the free end, and haul, using a wrap around the rack frame as an emergency brake, (when you let go under the sheer strain of it:lol:).

I marked the sides of the truck a few times, but if you take care (and don't have a bad back like I do) this can be avoided.

oem sub tank. spare where it should be, and jdm wheel carrier. sorted

On my 3 long distance trips to Africa I kept my original road tyre underneath as a second spare. I removed one of the back seats behind the drivers side and put my main spare (off road tyre). It fitted perfectly and did not move. I used a piece of 3x3 to level it and strapped the engel on top. This created a small cubby hole underneath for straps etc. Worked like a dream...... unfortunately I didn't make any pics...

oem sub tank. spare where it should be, and jdm wheel carrier. sorted

My thoughts exactly!

I did believe the spare went to the rear carrier BECAUSE it did not fit underneath due to the sub tank, many thanks all plans in progress, just waiting for my Gear/transfer box....you know who you! :eusa-shhh:

Last edited:
Back