Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

An Ultra slow Ultra4 build

BRE Fabrications LTD

Garage
Country Flag
uk
So I bought this on a whim and just took delivery of it. The plan is to build it up to compete in the 2017 Ultra4 Europe series - http://ultra4europe.com

6c3e4f80366ac23a7dbc91fab04152d8.jpg

1b8f53efd3ff38e78b2d634411135a34.jpg

af43438ec78aeda4b77e26cc720ca26a.jpg

It's a little rough to say the least bit rough plans are:
1. Chop the rear end into a tray back
2. 1UZFE V8
3. 14" Coil overs
4. Hydro assist steering.
5. Roll cage and and all the safety bits required to compete.

It's going to a super slow build but I'll keep this thread going to document the build.

Off the get the grinder...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like its got a ton of potential Ryan, this will be an interesting thread. Best of luck :thumbup:.

Good luck with the build. How you going to stretch the wheel Base on that one?

Bet with a good wash it would look a nice motor,but got to say I like your plans :thumbup:

Thanks guys. It's going to a slow build so you guys are going to have to bear with me.

Stu, with regards to the wheel base I am thinking of moving the axle forward, ideally to have as close to a 90' approach angle as possible. And then cut off pretty much anything behind the rear axle and the fabricate a cage of sorts.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
What size tyres are you thinking of running? As the bigger you go the longer the wheel Base needs to be to stay stable when doing the trucks.

Awesome!!!!!! [emoji106][emoji41][emoji593]

So just bought this...

a70dd1f73e4e657d3548b61c0a461177.jpg

Collecting in a couple of weeks time. It's a 3UZ-FE (4.3l VVT-I Lexus V8) from
A 2002 LS430. I was looking at the early 1UZ's (4.0 V8) and there is a substantial increase in torque (441n.m vs 353n.m) on the 3UZ over the non VVTi 1UZ. Also this has coil packs as opposed to a distributer so should deal better with water. Unless you are planning to go forced induction, which I am not, then the 1UZ would apparently be the way to go.

I'm still undecided on an ECU but am leaning towards the mega squirt system.

Well done good buy. Can't wait to see you chopping the body up.

Nice! [emoji48]

Are you planning on using the standard axles, in standard form?

60 series or Patrol ones would be much stronger. If you were to go down the Patrol route go for the later GU ones as the CV's are even bigger than earlier ones. Another option would be G Wagon axles as then you would get front and rear diff locks as standard.

I've never broken a half shaft or CV on my 70, even driving very aggressively on 37"s, but then I haven't been competing in anything like Ultra where you will be getting air!

My vote would be for Patrol axles, a lot of comp guys run them here and they are so bloody tough!
I wouldn't even consider 80 series ones as they have an 8" front diff, same as the LJ70, same as the hilux!

You might also want to think about bracing the hell out of the axles to ensure they won't bend! [emoji106]

With regards to axles I was/ am considering running 80 series axles. I have a set of RCV shafts for my 80, but these may be better suited for the 70...

Ben, what size diff are the patrol axles? This is now the 3rd time I have heard people reference them in this context so maybe I need to look into this. There is a part of me that wants to keep this all Toyota though... But either way I'll be selling the LJ70 axles. I know they won't be up to the task.

Also I'll be running a 4 link in the rear and a 3 link in front so I'll definitely be bracing the axles as well as gusseting the knuckles.

I have heard great things about the patrol axles being super strong also. I might have to consider and patrol when I build something silly soon.

G wagon axles are king heavy and the parts are really expensive as you can only really get through merc.

Stu

Can you not run the stock ecu?
I run 80 series axles under my 1uz powered Whitbread buggy and have done a CV joint and now front Ring&pinion so am currently looking at my options

I'm not sure what size Patrol diffs are, I'm guessing minimum of 9". It's not just the diff though, the half shafts and CV's are massive and super strong as standard!

If you want to keep it Toyota then you could go for 60 series as they are strong, but still not as strong as Patrol GU!

Sadly the 80 series front axle/diff is widely regarded as being the weak point of the model. Toyota really should have stuck with a 9" diff front and rear like the 60!

The things is Toyota are putting more and more powerful an torquey engines in LandCruisers but they haven't upgraded the axles.
Where as Nissan upgraded the already super strong GQ axles when they brought out the GU!

Regarding weight........

Whatever axles you end up running I wouldn't worry too much about weight as it's the best place to have weight! As it's the lower point on the vehicle after the wheels and tyres so it will help keep the vehicle stable and less likely to roll. [emoji106]

Can you not run the stock ecu?
I run 80 series axles under my 1uz powered Whitbread buggy and have done a CV joint and now front Ring&pinion so am currently looking at my options

Hey Ansiegh, I could run the stock ECU and may in fact go that way. It turns out the Megasquirt ECU's don't support drive by wire. Another option would be one of the Link G4+ ECU's but they are a pretty penny...

I wanted to go aftermarket on the ECU so that i could simplify the electrics side of things. The stock ECU has an immobiliser and coded key to deal with as well as the auto box control which needs to be dealt with. It just seems like more to go wrong.

The other option is to source a cable throttle body but I'm not sure if there are any available or whether a later VVTi throttle body from a 1UZ would work. I'm still researching what to do on this. So I'll keep you guys posted.

I'm not sure what size Patrol diffs are, I'm guessing minimum of 9". It's not just the diff though, the half shafts and CV's are massive and super strong as standard!

If you want to keep it Toyota then you could go for 60 series as they are strong, but still not as strong as Patrol GU!

Sadly the 80 series front axle/diff is widely regarded as being the weak point of the model. Toyota really should have stuck with a 9" diff front and rear like the 60!

The things is Toyota are putting more and more powerful an torquey engines in LandCruisers but they haven't upgraded the axles.
Where as Nissan upgraded the already super strong GQ axles when they brought out the GU!

Regarding weight........

Whatever axles you end up running I wouldn't worry too much about weight as it's the best place to have weight! As it's the lower point on the vehicle after the wheels and tyres so it will help keep the vehicle stable and less likely to roll. [emoji106]

The more I'm reading about patrol axles the more I am being swayed. I have seen them on eBay and a set comes in at roughly the same I could get a set of 80 series axles for.
But axles will have to wait a while as I want to get the V8 in and running. Once that is sorted then I'll move onto the axles and suspension.

Yeah the link stuff seems good, i run a different auto box so just left all the stock lexus auto box wires taped up, and the immobiliser wasn't too much of a faf, theres also a guy in russia who can take the immob out of the ecu. Didn't realise the 3uz's were so different from the vvti 1uz, glad i didnt go that route in the end then! (almost did)

Other than the drive by wire setup I don't think they are that different. I have made contact with a company in SA that can provide a plug and play setup with the stock ECU for not too much money. There is also a crowd here in the UK doing it so the option to stick with the stock ECU is there. But I do really like the look of the link G4+ and the tune ability that would come with it.

Anyway next mission is the bell house adaptor. Once I have that I can start mocking things up and work out which way to go on the wiring.

Back