Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

An Ultra slow Ultra4 build

Well picked up the motor today...

c49d369119d5405283c227fd67d46086.jpg
29085d6711a5093365f3b7713e5f9f27.jpg
14eaf2225407585a3535ae5db07db311.jpg

Next piece of the puzzle is the bellhousing. I'm still in between going for a bellhousing from a company called KS Racing in Thailand that is specifically made for bolting a R150 gearbox to the UZ motor or going with a US kit. Got more reading to do on that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I managed to gets the 70 running yesterday. Gave it a service and some fresh diesel. Fired up and started on the first turn. Not bad for something that's been sat for years.

I also drained all of the oils in the axles, gearbox and transfer case. All the oil still looked good except for the rear axle. There seemed to be a fair bit of grease in the oil, but no sign of water.

I managed to pottle about in the workshops car park, shift between low and high just fine. Managed to get up to third on the parking lot and apart from a sloppy gear lever all the changes were smooth without any clunks or grinding.

All in pretty stoked so far.

Also managed to give this thing a bit of love with the jet wash, almost looks good.
a117de8652ad461b60d8f83e92c5dee8.jpg
e551827002d43203c35fd8ed23f38ceb.jpg
d79412917993b85ef92427c32f54c654.jpg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Going to do this myself. I have always wanted to put a V8 into one of these and it's half the fun. Thanks though

It looks better already. :thumbup:

You should get good money for the old engine. I got £550 for mine when I did my conversion. :icon-wink:

Not too much progress on the actual truck, other than gutting the interior, but I have managed to make progress on a few items.

I just received the bits to bolt up the 3UZ to the R150F gearbox. I ended up going for a kit on Ebay from a company called KS racing. The do a specific bellhousing with Flywheel and clutch from a diesel Hilux so it's apparently a bolt on solution. From the reviews and other build threads I have read it seems a decent kit.

I also came a across a guy based in Moscow that can modify the 3UZ ECU to bypass the security for reasonable money. Given the cost of the Link kit I figured this is well worth a go. So the ECU's en route to Russia. Should have it back in the new year.

And lastly, the wife has treated me to JMR1000 tube bender for Christmas so roll on January. Progress should pick up significantly.

I am somewhat undecided on how much of the cab i should remove from the truck. Should I go for a pick up sort of look or just do a tube frame like one of these:
LJ70 pickup.jpgBolt LJ70.jpg

I'm leaning towards the tube frame...

That bottom one looks like Nick Bolts from Devon4x4 think its got a 5.3 Chevy engine

It is his and he is running a 5.3 LS motor I think. I'll be borrowing a few ideas from his build no doubt. I am also somewhat undecided on whether to run and exo cage or internal roll cage...

If you don't remove alot of the body work the cruiser will end up to heavy and you will be uncompetitive and on your roof alot. If it was me I would tray back as a minimum.
Space frame is the way forward really

external cage seems like it would be more useful if you keep it tight to or remove panels. Internal cages get in the way a lot and you'd end up with more weight in the external armour you'll end up adding anyway?

Nice tube bender, you'll have fun with that :thumbup:

If I were in your shoes.. I would aim to go for an external frame. Make the bonnet joined to the top of the wings and loose the lower parts of the wings under the profile line of the "landcruiser " badge and also loose the inner wings.

Square off the back of the body behind the front seats. With a tray back. . Do you intend on carrying anything with you? If not leave it open..

Great project man! :thumbup:

For a challenge truck/ultra4 it has to be external. Lets face it it will be getting rolled

87948104f6f5c11f84cc792565dfbc0b.jpg

Managed to unpack the KS Racing kit this morning. Looks good.

Anyone know where I can send a flywheel to be balanced?

Shop near me in bristol does. It I have to pick an engine up un the next few days will double check then.

a81415051ec65308fa72e90bec789d6e.jpg
e4c71f9475c23305173a66bb7821e45c.jpg
b1c035010cbd4a387be33641cdfbca1d.jpg

Fairly good progress so far today gutting the interior.

7a0f55b7b81b85b5109b6908e24ecc18.jpg

Got pretty close to pulling the motor today. Will be back in he workshop after new year so should hopefully get the motor out then.

Back