Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Another Derbyshire 80 rear winch bumper build!

Chris5-7chev

Hi everyone, whilst fairly new to this excellent club website and only recently figured how to post pics
that we all like to look at, I thought I,d share some pics of my 'Chrismas break garage project' which TBH is only really
coming together now strangely;-
winchcableon001.jpg

I know some folks don't think tube suits 80's but I'll use it anywhere I can.
winchcableon003.jpg

This whole assembly is held on with 14 bolts, 8x captive M10's and 6x crush tubed M12's so to hinge it all down all the bolts
are gunned out bar the very back two which are just loosened then lower it with one hand to the floor.
It is nowhere near finished so may run into easter? certainly takes time to do this stuff as CRJ has said many times.
More shots later eh.
Chris S.

Proper looking thing Lad. Us Deerbyseer lads know how to knock up some stuff, dunnas.

That could pull an Imperial Battlecruiser out of the bog in't Holymoorside, I reckon.

Anyway, look alike a two horse race to the finish now... Oh and I managed without you today, thanks very much. Despite cutting through my new ladders with the plasma cutter.

Chris

Chris you are way ahead in "the 2 horse race" and odds on favourite to win although if you carry on blowing holes in all
your workshop stuff then you may fall behind by a length or two :lol: can I borrow your 19" ladder?

Chris S.

Of course you can. Which end? Top or bottom?

Run out of 3mm plate for the underside and unless I finish it in boiler plate - I'm stuck. :cry:

Chris

Erm have you actually plasma cut your ladder in 2 places? Tharll ave ter be more careful young un,
got tow itch done dus no
001.jpg

Big pin will shear off at about 14 tonnes so I was told but there's an amount of leverage there so it'll get a 2nd 19mm pin.
Chris those green telephone junction boxes are about 3mm thick, mm extension lead or 2 :whistle:

Chris S.

No, I only nicked it. It'll be fine.

That's a heck of an assembly of bits on there. Watch out for speed bumps, you might get hung up.

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I looks heavy but suprisingly its relatively light, the heaviest bits are the winch obviously and the OE towbar thats in there.
Suppose next time its all off (and the wife is out) I'll chuck it on the bathroom scales.
still got corners to add on as well.
Oh and top of towball is 8" below the bottom edge of tail gate so speed bumps will have to be 18" high, :happy-bouncycyan:
I'm more worried about all the potholes you've made in Chesterfield.
Chris S

A little progress on this 'thing' today, made some brackets to tie the winch mount to the box section tow bar
fridaysliceofindia016.jpg

The old towbar at a guess is 5mm thick so should hold up?
Also had the scales out and the Husky winch comes in @ 4 stone without any rope on it and the rest of the
frame thing weighs 6 stone so 11 stone then maybe?
Chris S.

It's too cold out there for painting really but slapped some primer on ;-
allsorts2003.jpg

The pic does tend to hide this quality job :?
only the best stuff has been used and of course it's always an idea to have a good selection of brushes to hand.
allsorts2004.jpg

Chris S.

Are homemade tow bars still legal? I was sure I read somewhere about the use of homemades and second hand ones not being allowed any more. I may be wrong but my local breakers will not sell them anymore they are skipping them, don't know if it's connected????? :think:

Hi type approvals etc kick in on vehicles registered on or after 1st Aug. '98 so can be a little awkward where mods. are
concerned and probably moreso this year as towbar and electrics are checked at MOT time!
Chris S.

Which is why my tow bar and electrics are removable. If it's not there they can't check it! As all there will be is a hole, I don't think that there is much that they can say. If asked it's a recovery point.

That lot would look nice powder coated though ......

Chris

Thanks for that Shaun (3rd try at a reply, have a misfire on my b/band connection?), the new MOT additions shouldn't
affect our 'ageing' 80's too much I hope.
Excessive armour is the bit we don't need to see on the list, now that would be fun!, doing bumper corners this wk.end
so need even more steel bits. :naughty: oh and yes Chris, may powder coat the lot at some stage including front bumper.
Chris S.

The weekend is here again so time to fashion even more 'bits' for this bumper thing, :roll: s'pose the odd weld might
raise the workshop temperature by 0.01 of a degree? Need to come up with something for the corners but not too
sure of the end result just yet :doh:
3rdfeb12017.jpg
These plates can be trimmed off once there's something welded to them.
It's getting a little crowded inside the chassis rails.
3rdfeb12020.jpg

Attached some tube to see how it looks but think it sticks out too much?
3rdfeb12018.jpg

did spend far too much time playing with angles etc, see how it goes tommorrow.
Chris S.

It really is a race to the finish then Chris. Just got a cuppa to make then I am out into the cold. Got the rear quarter hoops rolled and rady to weld on. After that it's a quick tidy and I am almost there. Well, wheel carrier to build but that technically a separate project so it doesn't count.

That is looking super there mate. Very tubular.

Chris

Thanks for that Chris, I'm chewing on whether to build in a heavy wall vertical tube on the r/hand corner just in case a
wheel carrier is needed in the future?
You'll win the 'race' mate easily :cry: nah no race just good fun eh? :thumbup:
Cheers C.

It's on. I'm, rolling off the drive now. OK still got air point to put in and carrier to build but winch is in and working.

Pics when I get back.

Chris

Another busy day then and its snowing! Took the beacon off the other 80 and bolted on this one, not to everyones taste we
know but was on the other motor for years,
feb4th12001-1.jpg

This took 1/2 the day up with dropping the roof lining etc then as soon that was finished carried on trying to fathom the
bumper corners,
feb4th12002.jpg

1st support tube has an M12 slug welded inside and feels fairly tough once bolted from tother side of chassis, needs triangulating
tho',
feb4th12006.jpg

feb4th12007.jpg

Spent ages trying to get this plate in what looks like the right place,
feb4th12004.jpg

Next step is to put a 'top' on the plate and maybe a bent bar on top of that?
feb4th12005.jpg

Coming together chris :thumbup:

A wheel carrier is a good idea, You carnt just leave your spare in the back forever. Pull ya finger out and get cracking :lol: Id have had it all done in a couple of hours. But what whould it have looked like :think:

Karl

Back