Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Another musician dies

Crispin

Administrator
Staff member
Guru
Country Flag
great_britain
2016 turning out to be a bad year if you can sing. Prince (aka - many names) has just died.

Someone want to give Elton a ring? Need to keep tabs on him now.

It's not a good year to be in the limelight…lots have gone this year. [emoji20]

Serious loss to the industry... Massively influential in so many ways. Raspberry Beret was one of the first songs I remember in the charts... That and Johnny come home from the Fine Young Cannibals.

RIP Prince/symbol/TAFKAP

Sad & so young..... Dearly missed [emoji17]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A very sad loss and will be missed by many.

[video=youtube;6SFNW5F8K9Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SFNW5F8K9Y[/video]

Prince does a solo around 3:20 onwards, that and the reaction from the others says it all really for me.

Thanx chadr. Great find - That helped.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
That's superb, I haven't seen that before. Great find on yet another sad day for the performing arts in 2016.
Saw him live in Edinburgh, and again in Manchester. Massive presence for such a small chap.

Prince Rogers Nelson, at 57, still a long way to go.

Superb performer, talented songwriter, pioneer of style and blending music genres (and gender) and a funny guy too, great sense of humour.

Surprised to see he wrote 'Nothing Compares 2 U' the all-time Sinead O'Connor hit.

Sad ending ....

RIP

Interesting, I thought that despite all the talent on stage there, they still couldn't collectively match that of the person they were celebrating ....

I'm only saying.

Thought the bloke in the hat was Boy George to begin with. Now there is someone whose funeral I'd like to play at. And the sooner the better.

Prince. Talented yes. A loss, indeed. Purple Rain one of the greatest albums ever released. Are you serious? Good musician yes, but a bit of a knob at times. Having said that I quite liked one or two of his tunes and it's a shame to see him gone. I have a feeling he won't be the last. There is definitely something in the water.

Pretty much everything that needs to be said has been, I liked some of his music and in fact still have Raspberry Beret on my music list. His private plane being diverted last week because he had a 'bad cold', had me thinking it was one of his (usually bad) publicity stunts, seems it was more than man flu?

RIP Prince.

regards

Dave

Last edited:
Hendrix had a son then ?

That thought went through my mind too watching his performance in that Frank. Many similarities in the way he moved and played.

I'm kind of with Chris on Prince. He wasn't really in my sights as someone whose music I would buy but I recognise he was a huge talent especially as a songwriter. I never knew he was a guitarist. In fact Lynn found that he played every instrument on his first album, sang and most probably wrote the songs too. Hats off to someone who can (could) do that.

Apparently Eric Clapton, when asked what it's like to be the best guitarist in the world replied 'I don't know, ask Prince'…

Oh he's a joker is Eric ..

Love Eric actually, but I don't have him down as the best guitarist in the world. Being a guitar god is a different thing altogether. And that he certainly is. But best? Different argument. Prince was a bit like Lenny Kravitz. He could do everything. That album he played on included 27 different instruments. I couldn't name 27 instruments. Guitar , Drums, you see I'm stuck already. And drums aren't really an instrument as we all know. Dang.

I always felt i should like his music but didn't , it was ok but something was missing ? still sad to see anyone go at 57 .

Prince was never really my cup 'o tea. 'Little Red Corvette' is the only song of his I liked to any degree and even then it was only the chorus.
'Best guitarist' is like saying 'best athlete' but which discipline? Acoustic or electric and the different types of each all have their own exponents. As a master of his chosen genre then Julian Bream must be on the podium along with Jimmy page in his but I guess everyone has their own No.1. Many of the rock guitar gods began as session musicians in their early days. JMO

Listening to the people who worked with him, they all say he was a genius. Good enough for me. I'll accept that. Some very respected figures commenting on his talent. I know he was big - with Prince fans, but I don't think he really sold it to the wider audience. He released 29 studio albums? I can name two I think. He apparently has a vault with enough material to still release an album a year for the next 100 years. Every song surely can't be a stadium filler.

I have to say that whilst I believe all the vox pop around in the news, I have always had a really funny feeling when watching him play. I have seen some of the best bands in the world play and there is always a feeling about it being live. I played in a band myself for some 20 years and there's just something in his music which always made me feel it was a backing track. It was simply too perfect. It always sounded polished and produced like it was coming from a studio. Basically an act. Now again listening to the musos who knew him, I am beginning to suspect that he may actually in fact have been THAT good. And that makes me wonder just why he wasn't bigger.

You hit the nail on the head for me Chris it sounded synthesized .

I just read he has been suffering from flu for weeks but rallied himself to attend his final performance which drained him so much his private jet diverted to make an emergency landing . He spent 3 hours in hospital and returned home . The following evening he attended a party not performing but telling his audience to wait a few days before wasting any prayers on him .

I'm thinking AIDS my mate was a similar age and had lasted about 25 years with it , he was fine and we were drinking in a pub when i told him i'm heading back to Wales the following day , he shook my hand and said you won't see me again . That same week he booked himself into a nursing home and died there shortly after .

Back