Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Techstream - Mini VCI lead just died - anyone used VXDiag VCX Nano?

adrianr

My Mini VCI lead just packed up - don't know why. Lights up but no longer being recognised by the virtual machine on my mac. has been working fine for the last 18 or so months. Do you have any experience with VXDiag VCX Nano? Will be run using a virtual box or VM Ware fusuon on a mac. Has been working fine up until the lead failed. i want to check the sphere pressures at the rear now i have the new rear springs fitted. Many thanks

Last edited:
Hi Karl;. Normally when i plug in any usb device it always in the list of devices and i ave it set to ask where it wants to be connected. the light on the lead lights up when plugged into the usb port on the laptop. then when i went to use it two days ago it has stopped showing up. i have restarted the vm and also followed instruction on vmwares website and nothing has started the lead being shown. my other leads, for mapping, for running vag com etc all work as they should. if there is something i am missing i would love to find out what it is.

Hmm... few thoughts....

Are there any other VM's running? Is it possible the device is being claimed by another running VM?

Can you close down all VM's and then plug in the device and see if the Mac is detecting the USB device? I don't use a mac, but ....

If you cant see it connected there, it would seem like a hardware (VCI cable) issue, otherwise if its connected there might need further investigation.

Has the mac had any recent software updates?

HI Karl

Thank you.

All vms quit. i have restarted the mac and then launched only vm that i need.

all other leads and usb devices continue to be recognised.

no recent software updates on the mac.

~any thoughts on the VXDiag Nano?

With no VM's running, could the Mac detect the VCI cable? ie can you find it listed as a USB device using those methods above? Just trying to see if its a vmware problem, or if the Mac cant even see it....

Never used VXDiag Nano unfortunately!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
i have tried the lead in another machine with vmware installed an also it is not recognised so it appears, to me, that it is passed it's use date. I tried a snap on solaris i think it was today and it does not look into the ahc system. i think i will order the vxdiag nano and if it works all is good. if not i'll send it back for refund and get another minivci cable. many thanks for the ideas and suggestions, much appreciated.

I'm using a vxdiag nano

Much more stable and quicker than the usb cables (even the version 2.0.4)

Much recommended!

Only thing I would add is that it's a very very tight fit between the ECU port and the floor, I bought the WiFi version of the nano which works with a cable or over WiFi.

@pugwash - many thanks. The nano connect to the truck fine but techstream wont interrogate any of the modules. i have tried version 16 and version 12 with the same results. working with the supplier now to try to resolve the issue. versipon 12 with the old minivci cable did connect until the lead failed.

What version of windows are you running? I can get the VCX Nano to connect but iot will not access any of the modules.

Windows 10 and Windows 11 pro versions.

have you set the vci to nano within techstream? have you installed the nano software? VXmanager? you need to do both to get it to work correctly- the VX needs a techstream licence from the internet to connect to techstream, even if you're using a less than leagl version of techstream.

Thanks. I had their tech support on a team viewer session yesterday. they want me to upgrade that laptop from windows 7 to windows 10 (will be new to me - i have only used macs since the mid 1990s). Techstream is set to connect to J (cant recall the rest) as Nano does not show up as an option. Techstream does launch and connect to the truck, but it will not interrogate any of the modules. I'll work out howe to upgrade the old laptop i inherited and see how we go.

Do they give a technical reason why the upgrade to win 10 will fix it? Be aware of tech support giving out tasks like this as stalling tactics when they have no other answer, just to get it off their desk.

I'm not entirely following this thread but is the position that both techstream and nano will connect but neither will interrogate any modules?

i dont think it will make a difference either. i have asked about five times for a refund and they keep dragging it along. i will have the last laugh. i have since ordered another vci lead.

techstrem sees the nano, the nano connects to the car as it should. but when i attempt to connect to any module be ahc or abs etc it will not connect.

Hmmm, so i have tried the vcx nano on another toyota and it connect fine. as does the new mini vci cable that just arrived. neither the Nano nor the mini vci will interrogate any module on the landcruiser. might have to try a different model year and see if that sorts it, or perhaps disconnect the batteries on the truck for a while and try again

All the wires connected OK to your OBD socket? No pins pushed out or anything?

Disconnected batteries for an hour, then tried once more. same story - can access the car with techstream but cannot access any of the modules with the Nano, nor the new Mini vci cable.

All the wires connected OK to your OBD socket? No pins pushed out or anything?
That’s an interesting thought. ill have a look in the morning cheers.

What is puzzling is that it must have stopped working when the old lead dies, I am wondering why the old lead stopped working and what happened immediately before.

Did you test the old lead on another car? Goes on and on this one doesnt it!!!!

Back