Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Any reason to not remove aircon?

Nick Shepherd

The compressor for my aircon (1991 HDJ-81) has been in a cardboard box since I bought it, I have no plans to reinstall it and the only thing the pipes and other aircon gubbins seem to be doing is getting in the way whenever I want to work in the engine bay.

Aside from the two obvious things - not having aircon and never having a functional console fridge - are there any major drawbacks to removing the whole system?

None what so ever.
Does leave the air-con pump available for on-board air duties though.

And if you go ahead and remove pipewaork....can I have the pipe from pump to rear of engine bay? :thumbup:

:whistle: If the rad (condenser) and drier are in good condition, perhaps you'd consider a new home for them too? If they are the same basically as the HDJ80 that is. My rad seems to be utterly shagged.

Chris

I can't vouch for the condition of anything but I'll get round to pulling it all out sometime in the next month or so. I'm building a shed first :D

Ah! I have just noticed you have a '91 HDJ81.....cancel that last request for the pipe...thanks Nick.

I too have a HDJ81, and have changed the compressor for a later one, that will handle R134? gas.
And I have discovered that the pipe ends are different sizes, hence my need for the pipe.
older pipes and compressors aren't fully interchangeable.

Also good luck with the shed building.....very satisfying work that is.

Hi Chris

Once a new drier is opened up and fitted it's Ut Sh for future use. It has a hygroscopic chemical in it and once expossed to the air for 24 hours or an aircon install it's Ut Sh. They should be kept in dry storage, unused and with the rubber plugs in place.

Ut Sh driers can Ut Sh the Fk Compressor which is a real Bch.

F...k.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back