Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

anybody have any thoughts on this

Looks clean enough on the surface, you looking for one yogi ?

Always hard to tell without seeing it in the flesh, Yogi, but I'd say it looks reasonable. Rear tailgate is going, obviously but the rest of it looks pretty square. As it's an earlyish one, you'd need to give the gearbox a good try. Problems with 1st and 2nd can be quite common. Quite a long way from you though.

Chris

Seconding what Chris has just said, you can't tell what its like till you see one in the metal. I would say, in my recent experience, out of any 10 80's for sale one will be a 9/10 truck, two will be 7/10 and 7 will be 4/10 in condition. Year is not always indicative of condition, I've just sold a 91 80 to a forum member which was in pretty exceptional condition whereas 2 80's ( both blue) of 97 vintage I viewed looked like they had been in the sea!!
That green truck looks ok, seems to stand well and with one/two owners stands a chance of decent provenance. A well looked after car with 200+K miles especially a 24V should present no probs.There are a couple of 24V 80's on the Bay at the moment hovering around the £3k mark that stand a chance of being as good if not better than that green one.

Just my thoughts

Andy

On that plate wouldn't it be a 12 Valve?
Not at my desk to look but didn't see it as a 24

Chris

One good owner would be very good news. One bad owner would be very bad news. Don't you hate it when those rear carrying nets are torn. To me the carpets look dirty. A very good 80 is difficult to find. I think one just has to travel and be resigned to a lot of wasted journeys as you can't really tell 'till you get there. I have a feeling this one is neglected.

Frank

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Looks clean enough on the surface, you looking for one yogi ?
Yes, looking for a manual one with aircon and not too intergalactic miles!! Why any ideas? BEcause the problem is i'm stuck in Ireland which isn't too handy for just nipping down the road too look at one!!

Probably got to sell mine yogi, no work & bills to pay, mines auto though.

Seconding what Chris has just said, you can't tell what its like till you see one in the metal. I would say, in my recent experience, out of any 10 80's for sale one will be a 9/10 truck, two will be 7/10 and 7 will be 4/10 in condition. Year is not always indicative of condition, I've just sold a 91 80 to a forum member which was in pretty exceptional condition whereas 2 80's ( both blue) of 97 vintage I viewed looked like they had been in the sea!!
You hardly have one for me too do you? Year wouldn't bother me, just manual with aircon and I know they can do high milages, even the Toyota carina that's my dd at the moment is well over 200k, but I want one to keep so I would rather put the miles on it, anything under 180k would do me!

Hi Yogi, in my opinion two trucks you should have considered for sale in recent times were the red GX in London and the opal grey GX that was for sale in the north east, Middlesborough. Both were 24V manuals with air con, both had the best incarnation of the manual box and they were both spot on the money. 12V manuals with air con are rare/rarer than autos as from 92/93 autos had air con as standard and manuals had it as an option. One thing to consider is that you will be damn lucky to find air con which works as good as it should, or if it works as it should on the day you buy it it wont work a month later when all the gas has gone.
there are plenty of people on the forum with the knowledge that can view an 80 if it is in their area, I've done it for forum members with success and been to see trucks with forum members to give a second opinion.
Retro fitting factory air con is not impossible,( apart from the fact new factorykits are no longer available) however you have to consider that apart from the complexity most of the components will be old ( if you fit them off another truck) so you may be as be constantly chasing leaks. I would like to know if anyone on the forum has successfully transplanted air con from a breaker to a non air con car.
Lots to think about when buying an 80 with specific requirements but you gotta realise, these cars are old and other people have had £30-£35k of use out of them already.
There's one out there for you Yogi, it may be a forum member, or someone they know, or an advert they see, everyone is on to help.

Andy

Unless it's a late 24v in blue, then anyone moves and Kitty gets it. OK? :violence-rapidfire: :character-smurfgra:

OK, Papa Smurf then. Who cares.

Chris

Back