Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

ARB Locker bearings on a Colorado

sae70

Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
uk
Does anyone know if the bearings fitted to an ARB locker carrier in the front axle of a Colorado are supplied by ARB with the locker kit and thus different to the Toyota OEM ones or do you fit the Toyota OEM ones to the ARB locker? I need to sort out a complete set of new bearings for the front axle and don't know if I should order the Toyota ones or be contacting ARB for emplacements.

I also need to get a seal kit for the Locker, anyone any ideas where I may get one of those?

Last edited:
Which ARB locker do you have? :think:

The model number will be engraved on the side of the locker on the side where all the bolts are that bolt the ring gear to the air locker. Should have the model number and the serial number below it.

It should be 1 of the ones below. :icon-biggrin:

http://store.arbusa.com/Assets/PDF/RD121_i.pdf

http://store.arbusa.com/Assets/PDF/RD111_i.pdf

I'm pretty sure it uses standard bearings. The original Toyota ones are most likely Koyo, but you could source other quality bearings like Timken from any decent bearing place.

You just need the 3 dimensions, or even better take the old ones in with you.

It mentions in the instructions that shims are needed when fitting the locker, so you may need to source those aswell.

Id call Devon 4x4 for the seals you need. There should be a labeled exploded diagram in the instructions I've linked to above and that will give you all the ARB part numbers.

If they cant get the seals for months (happened to me a year or 2 ago. :thumbdown:) Let me know and I will post you them. I go to ARB headquarters nearly every week to pick parts up anyway.

:thumbup:

Was there today actually and was admiring this 200 series that they've built. :icon-cool:

Attachments

• 200 series 1.jpg
    200 series 1.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 52
  • 200 series.jpg
    200 series.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 44
Hi-Ya Ben :) The locker is a D90 7.5" and it looks as though it does use one bearing that comes with the locker. So I'm going to need that and the seals at least, but I'm going to pull it apart for a good look inside before I start ordering ARB bits. I may D44 a call just to see if they keep the bits or if they have to order them from Aus!!! Could do with an ARB store round the corner really :)

Stephen, Devon 4x4 fitted the ARB locker to Lil Blue and I can confirm that I supplied it with genuine direct replacement bearings and cap bolts etc. Yes, they use the same parts. The dimensions of the ARB in that respect are the same. They are beefier in other respects which removes the flex that you can get with the OEM carrier.

C

:icon-biggrin:

Devon 4x4 will call the UK distributor and see if the parts are in stock, and if there not when they next will be. :icon-wink:

If they are they will normally get them to you within a day or 2.

but like I said if they cant get the bits quick enough, let me know as even with postage from here to the UK it would probably be cheaper than D44 as I don't pay RRP. :icon-cool:

Does anyone know if the bearings fitted to an ARB locker carrier in the front axle of a Colorado are supplied by ARB with the locker kit and thus different to the Toyota OEM ones or do you fit the Toyota OEM ones to the ARB locker?
I recently fitted a rear ARB locker to my 80, the locker comes with no bearings, you have to fit your own.

I got 2 KoYo taper roller bearings from SimplyBearings for £53 including VAT and delivery. Toyota were about £200 for the pair :wtf:

I also need to get a seal kit for the Locker, anyone any ideas where I may get one of those?
If you mean the air bearing that actuates the locker, you can get this directly from the ARB UK importers, ask to speak to Gareth Williams :thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Stephen, Devon 4x4 fitted the ARB locker to Lil Blue and I can confirm that I supplied it with genuine direct replacement bearings and cap bolts etc. Yes, they use the same parts. The dimensions of the ARB in that respect are the same. They are beefier in other respects which removes the flex that you can get with the OEM carrier.
I've had a bit of a trawl round this morning and found a copy of the 50 page installation manual in PDF form http://store.arbusa.com/Assets/PDF/RD90_i.pdf this suggests that the bearing on the ring gear side is supplied with the locker and thus is probably something different to the OEM one. Fig10 on page 17 indicates that there is one supplied bearing cup and one original bearing cup. Also the parts list on page 43 and 44 shows that one of the bearings is supplied with the locker and that one is OEM. I think from reading that they may have significantly changed the lockers design since Lil-Blue's one was fitted.

This ARB unit is their latest in design. It is a new timed-gear Air Locker which has its side-gears and spider gears clocked (timed) from the factory to provide a perfect distribution of the load over all teeth when the Air Locker is locked. The resulting strength increase in some applications has approached 300%. In basing the RD90 on their timed-gear design, changes were also made to the way the air is delivered. Traditional Air Lockers receive their air at the bearing opposite the ring-gear. The timed-gear Air Lockers receive their air at the bearing on the ring-gear side. This means that on the IFS Toyota the air line enters on the small side of the split case. In addition to this change, the timed-gear Air Locker also benefits from a two-piece case instead of the traditional three-piece design and they have eliminated the need for the annular piston used to transmit the air's force to the locking clutch-ring. In a nutshell, the RD90 is stronger, simpler in design and easier to install than a traditional Air Locker.

When I first bought Swampy I wasn't really bothered by having the front locker and considered removing it, but having read the blurb I'm actually quite locking forward to giving it some use :icon-biggrin:

:icon-biggrin:

Devon 4x4 will call the UK distributor and see if the parts are in stock, and if there not when they next will be. :icon-wink:

If they are they will normally get them to you within a day or 2.

but like I said if they cant get the bits quick enough, let me know as even with postage from here to the UK it would probably be cheaper than D44 as I don't pay RRP. :icon-cool:
Thanks for the offer Ben :icon-biggrin: :thumbup: I shall certainly keep you in mind :icon-biggrin:

I recently fitted a rear ARB locker to my 80, the locker comes with no bearings, you have to fit your own.

I got 2 KoYo taper roller bearings from SimplyBearings for £53 including VAT and delivery. Toyota were about £200 for the pair :wtf:

If you mean the air bearing that actuates the locker, you can get this directly from the ARB UK importers, ask to speak to Gareth Williams :thumbup:
Thanks for the ARB contact info :thumbup: I just called to speak with Gareth and am waiting for a call back as I type :icon-smile: With regards to the other bearings I've already spent quite some time on the phone to JW over the last couple of days and they are being sorted :icon-smile:

Better stock up on CVs then.

Does sound as though they have changed the design then. Deff had new bearings from Yota for Lil Blue. There was nothing like that in the box. That's for sure. Had new ring bolts too IIRC. D44 wouldn't refit old bits.

Better stock up on CVs then.
I do have two spares and interestingly as a result of doing the front axle I've discovered that they are the same part number on each side so would only need to carry the one as a spare :icon-biggrin: Could probably swap one out in 30/40min depending upon what side went :icon-smile:

Does sound as though they have changed the design then. Deff had new bearings from Yota for Lil Blue. There was nothing like that in the box. That's for sure. Had new ring bolts too IIRC. D44 wouldn't refit old bits.
I spoke to Gareth at Arbil4x4 this morning and one of the bearings is a special supplied with the locker and would be £55+VAT from ARB and would have to be imported from Aus for me as no stock held here and has never supplied one before. Same with the seals, but they are a far more reasonable £3.85+VAT. He then went on to say that you can get the same bearing from simply bearings for £20.43+VAT and also gave me the BS ISO part # for the 'O' rings. Is he a top chap :think: Would I buy anything from this company in the future if I was after something that they sell? Should you? I think so :icon-smile: What a helpful chap :icon-biggrin: :clap:

Last edited:
Back