Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

ARB winch bumper (need advise)

RNS

Country Flag
russian_federation
I've just bought f used ARB bar. When I picked the bar up from delivery service it seems to me extremely heavy.

Does anybody use such? I'm in doubts... What will the front suspension say, especially the
CMAAAgDo_uA-960.jpg
lower e joint balls?

They are extremely heavy. So is the winch. It's like the suspension will sag yes, especially older springs.. Typically you'd uprate the front and rear springs when fitting kit like this. A lift isn't really necessary, just added spring rate to cope with the load. You might get away with just doing the front with something moderate like a +50kg

Personally I'd weigh everything going on your vehicle and also think about anything going on the roof rack and then buy upgraded springs. If you're getting new front springs, I'd change the rear otherwise your truck will look like it's constantly going uphill.

Not necessarily Steve. It's perfectly possible to just correct the fronts if this is all the mods that he's doing. It all depends on whether it's a SWB or LWB too. The aim of the original answer really was to say yes, it will sag if you bolt that lot on.

However, I'd agree completely that planning a suspension change really is the only way to do it and that is as you say to calculate the weight of everything across the vehicle. I discussed the lift that I wanted at the weight I'd be carrying and I have to say the Chris down under got it spot on. I had 6" of lift empty and 4" exactly once everything was bolted on. Not always as straightforward when you're dealing with IFS set ups.

They are extremely heavy. So is the winch. It's like the suspension will sag yes, especially older springs.. Typically you'd uprate the front and rear springs when fitting kit like this. A lift isn't really necessary, just added spring rate to cope with the load. You might get away with just doing the front with something moderate like a +50kg

The older springs have said goodbye already :)
BIAAAgIVWuA-960.jpg

after I installed the winch. The winch with winch base weights about 54kg itself. I mean stock winch with steel rope. The ARB I estimate is about 60kg. Anyway it is not a question to replace the springs once again, I'm really afraid for joint balls. 50+60...
Any experience or thoughts about lifetime of jointballs after installation of winch bar will be very much appreciated.

The problem is Chris if he puts new springs on the front and they are standard length but upgraded weight and he has 20-year-old spring in the back, the front is going to be higher how much depends on the weight on the back and how much they have sagged. Personally, for the cost of two more springs, I'd change them all.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The problem is Chris if he puts new springs on the front and they are standard length but upgraded weight and he has 20-year-old spring in the back, the front is going to be higher how much depends on the weight on the back and how much they have sagged. Personally, for the cost of two more springs, I'd change them all.

I've got +50kg front springs and +200 rear. It looks like +50 is not enough, but it is not a problem to install +100kg springs. The advisability of installing such a heavy bumper is the question with no answer yet. I'm afraid I would have to replace lower jointballs too often with ARB.

Tbh I think you’re probably a bit stuck on this idea of having to swap out the ball joints. It’s not a component that’s prone to accelerated wear in my experience. The main issue is that it’s ifs and that limits how much lift you can add without messing around. I put the same bar and winch on a swb Colorado using OME springs and it was all good. It’s a common mod and so far ball joints haven’t been a topic of conversation

Lower ball joints can and do fail of course (see various spectacular photos on here). But that is to do with age+wear, not excess weight. If the LBJs have never been changed it would be a good idea to replace them anyway as a precaution.

After my own bad experience I've decided to change them every couple of years, which might be OTT but it's one of the few things that can leave you stranded (or worse).

90 series lower ball joints aren't exactly weak but have a reputation for failing catastrophically without warning , its an age thing . Regardless of weight you might want to change them for peace of mind and if you do then you won't find better than genuine Toyota .

Some on here have covered 2 or 300,000 miles on the original ball joints without problems .

Tbh I think you’re probably a bit stuck on this idea of having to swap out the ball joints. It’s not a component that’s prone to accelerated wear in my experience. The main issue is that it’s ifs and that limits how much lift you can add without messing around. I put the same bar and winch on a swb Colorado using OME springs and it was all good. It’s a common mod and so far ball joints haven’t been a topic of conversation

Well, maybe I'm too suspicious... But not every pair of joint balls lives 100,000 km with our roads :(

I installed new pair about 50,000 km ago and they still alive but a friend of mine have backlash even after 25,000 km without ARB or winch. I don't know if it true Toyota of fake but it is a point to think of. Also here we've got a trend among the owners of 90 series to install the joint balls from Tundra or Sequoia
43330-39466
43340-39356
which looks like to have a ball larger in diameter.

If you say that everything is OK even with ARB bar -I tend to believe you :)

Also here we've got a trend among the owners of 90 series to install the joint balls from Tundra or Sequoia
43330-39466
43340-39356
which looks like to have a ball larger in diameter

Interesting. Might have to check this out... although £100 apiece through Amayama (inc. postage)... I assume these are a direct fit?

Interesting. Might have to check this out... although £100 apiece through Amayama (inc. postage)... I assume these are a direct fit?

Yes, fully interchangeable.

1st from the left is Sequoia, the 2nd - our Prado's.

Pay attention to the bottom cap of the ball of Sequoia's, there is a stamping of a larger diameter.

Last edited:
Food for thought. (Though I can't make head nor tail of the video!)

Sorry, I have only this video. :)
From the 6th minute he holds Prado's and Tundra's joint balls in his hands and you can see them from all sides and see the difference.

Sorry, I have only this video. :)
From the 6th minute he holds Prado's and Tundra's joint balls in his hands and you can see them from all sides and see the difference.

Thanks, I understand now.

Back