Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

auto box not changing out of first on time

L

LandCruiser1978

One of my friends has a 1994 diesel 80 auto and he's having a few issues with it .

Basically when he sets of he has to take the rpm above 2500 rpm before the autobox will change into 2nd gear

after this everything is fine changes as it should and kicks down if needed until you slow down and the box selects first then your back to needing to take above 2500 rpm for it to change gear

he's had a new kick down cable and new gearbox fluids and had the filter cleaned ,

Does anyone have any ideas?

Bob

could be that the TPS on the injection pump is faulty or needs adjusting, worth looking at.

we've just tried adjusting the TPS made no difference to the way the car drove .

It is currently set all the way to the rights so the agjustment hole in the TPS is to the left of the TPS

Does that make sense ?

What effect should it have on the way the car drives?
Also we tried unplugging it and all it did was make the OD light flash on the dashboard

if it has a mechanical goevenor on the box it could be blocked or worn so when the oil is cold it wont shift untill higher rpm.

does anyone know what type of govenor is fitted to these?

what make is the box out of interest? I am new here btw :oops:

Try it in the position mine is in,

Various443.jpg

geordie_boy1978 said:
we've just tried adjusting the TPS made no difference to the way the car drove .

It is currently set all the way to the rights so the agjustment hole in the TPS is to the left of the TPS

Does that make sense ?

What effect should it have on the way the car drives?
Also we tried unplugging it and all it did was make the OD light flash on the dashboard
That may indicate the TPS is faulty but IIRC there are details in the FSM on how to test it. The TPS tells the ECU how much throttle you're using and could cause it to hang on to 1st. The ECU controls gear changes on that age A442F.

Another possibility would be a wiring fault making the gearbox think the transfer box is in low and switch to that change pattern.

Has it had any work done on it recently?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
so an electrical govenor from 94 onward, well that blows my theory- not that I know anything about these :oops:

he bought it like that . Only had it 4weeks .

But not had any work done other than suspension lift , wheels , snorkel ,winch bumper but these were all done 6 months ago

Wasn't till i drove it that he realised it wasn't right

we tried the TPS in the middle like in the pic and then all the way to the right then back to the left . made no differnece to the way it drove

tried a NEW TPS ( new to this car )
Made no difference

What plug would you undo on the box to eliminate the poss of the box thinking it's in LOW RANGE?

There are an awful lot of plugs under the car

If you search for threads on fitting the CDL switch you should find which connector but IIRC it's the one at 1 o'clock looking at the back of the transfer box towards the front. It's just a ball switch and a bit of a long shot it would fail closed but not impossible. alternatively you could check the connector at the ECU for a short to the body. Does it have a seperate switch on the dash for the centre diff lock? If not then this is an even longer shot.

checking at the ecu connector might make more sense incase someone did the pin 7 mod backwards or something stupid like that.

Additionally just worth checking the operation of the cable to the throttle valve in the auto box. This should be free and easy to operate plus there should be a clearance between the adjuster and the cable shroud as indicated by the X in the pic.

Throttle.jpg

Chris

Back