Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

auto gerbox filter

finnybank

Country Flag
uk
Hi Guys,

I'm new to this forum so go easy on me.

I am about to do a complete ATF change on my 90's Auto gearbox by pumping fluid through the box until it runs clear. Before I do I need to know if there is a replaceable filter in the box. If not is there a filter that can be cleaned and if so is it accessible from the sump. Any information at all would be appreciated. My model is the KZJ95R - 1KZ TE engine.

Hello welkom, I think it is yes for both questions.
I presume you have a gearbox type A343F ( as far as i know all 90 auto's have them) , there are manuals, an many info to be found for this gearbox on the internet.

I have the 3.4 V6 Auto and was going to do the filter in the autobox until I got a quote from Toyota. I couldn't find the parts anywhere else. The filter (T35330-600200) and tube of sealant as they don't have a conventional gasket (T08826-80020) were £59.74 and £60.30 plus VAT making a total of £144.05! I decided to just change the fluid. Attached pic of the quote but it is poor quality.

Attachments

• toyota.jpg
    toyota.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 140
Yes, there is a ATF filter inside the box, but to get to it you have to drop the sump off. Unless your fluid was contaminated or anything then it's probably not worth changing it. They're designed to last a very very long time.

Hi,

I'm suspecting that the oil is contaminated as the rad is 15yrs old!! I'm losing a small amount of water - maybe a cupful every 3months, its not the head and there are no obvious leaks. I've noticed the engine seems to rev a little higher when pulling away when hot. I'm going to change the rad at the time I change the ATF. Spoke to Toyota Main Dealer today and was told that he couldn't see a filter and when he spoke to the technicians he was told it doesn't have one. I find this strange. I have looked at the exploded view of the box (not a good picture) and there is a strainer, I think of a strainer as being a metal gauze type thing that can be washed and is for holding back larger bits of debris. I am unable to buy a filter as no one seems to list one. By the way wynns do a good gasket silicone maker which I've seen recommended for the sump - its expensive but not as expensive as a main dealer gasket.

Hi,

I'm suspecting that the oil is contaminated as the rad is 15yrs old!! I'm losing a small amount of water - maybe a cupful every 3months, its not the head and there are no obvious leaks. I've noticed the engine seems to rev a little higher when pulling away when hot. I'm going to change the rad at the time I change the ATF. Spoke to Toyota Main Dealer today and was told that he couldn't see a filter and when he spoke to the technicians he was told it doesn't have one. I find this strange. I have looked at the exploded view of the box (not a good picture) and there is a strainer, I think of a strainer as being a metal gauze type thing that can be washed and is for holding back larger bits of debris. I am unable to buy a filter as no one seems to list one. By the way wynns do a good gasket silicone maker which I've seen recommended for the sump - its expensive but not as expensive as a main dealer gasket.

I have changed my colorado's autobox filter so I am confident all automatic transmissions will have them. It is as you have described, like a guaze filter, a little bit smaller than the sump in size and it is re-usable after washing it out. The Toyota guys will probably tell you it doesn't as it's not a common item to be changing. Toyota themselves say the autobox fluid should be changed ever 350,000 miles (I think). But obviously if you tow a lot and off road it should be done more on a regular bases. I normally change it every couple years.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I think the ATF change is every 27k miles according to the handbook.

Sent from my GT-I9100P

Thanks for all the help guys, I'll whiz of the sump and washout this strainer out. question now is should I do it before or after pumping clean fluid through it. Hmmm chicken and egg syndrome. Well that's one for me to consider. Great forum, cheers guys.

Might be overkill and a bit more work but what if you cleaned if before AND after ? This way you'll get a better idea of the condition of the ATF, after you have pumped clean ATF though the system.

Back