Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Auto or manuak

Herman6

Hi I'm in proccess of buying my first 80 series
it will be a work motor fir shoeing horses and light off road due to farms and fields I have to work in
it will also tow now and then and ferry my wife and kids arround
I have decided on a diesel but had s lot of people saying get an auto
so need advice please
would an auto be as reliable as a manual
and would an auto use a lot more fuel
thanks herm

Both excellent.

Be prepared to spend some time and money baselining vehicle

Replace big end bearings etc

Auto are fantastic. I have a preference for the manuals. I reckon somewhere about 20% better on fuel. No where near as nice in traffic as an auto. auto feels easier to drive off road.

Welcome and good luck

If its a motor for work and towing get as new as possible Hilux double cab. They will do everything you need,will be a lot newer and more reliable,more economical and better tax wise. You can get them in auto form as well( I've driven the 3l auto and thought it was brill).
All the farriers round here have a hilux with a custom back on!

just my thoughts on the subject since you asked.

Andy :thumbup:

How does that help if he's in the process of buying an 80? :roll: :lol:

I'd go manual, I would say that though!

If he's in the process of buying an 80 then the one he is buying is either a manual or an auto, why ask?. If he is in the process of looking to buy then the question is relevant.I was under the impression he was seeking advice from experienced owners,(not that I have too much experience)
My advice would be not to use an 80 whether manual or auto as a commercial vehicle, they are just too old , too unreliable and too thirsty to be viable.
Having both auto and manual I would say the auto is a mile ahead of the manual in general usage terms.

Thats how it helps,since you asked. :lol:

Regards Andy

AndycruiserguyLomas said:
My advice would be not to use an 80 whether manual or auto as a commercial vehicle, they are just too old , too unreliable and too thirsty to be viable.

Seriously? :thumbdown: Mine has been the most reliable vehicle I've owned, I would get in it & drive anywhere without concern.

AndycruiserguyLomas said:
Having both auto and manual I would say the auto is a mile ahead of the manual in general usage terms.

Thats how it helps,since you asked. :lol:

You didn't say that last time ;)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yes Brett, I'm in the same boat as you with the" most reliable vehicle" issue with my long term owned 80. 100 000 miles in 15 years it has cost me nothing other than consumables and an ignition barrel, however the point is that was in the last 15 years and you cannot project reliability for a vehicle in the future.
As these vehicles get older and passed from owner to owner who care about them less and less the older they get,reliability issues will occour as servicing is skipped,corners are cut etc.
If these 80's were inherently reliable there wouldn't be so many questions about how to mend them on this forum and all the parts they were made from would last forever.Anything Herman is after buying will be 17 years old at the newest and how many businesses would consider that good practice? Its no good saying to a customer "sorry I can't come today, my wipers are buggered and its raining".

Going back to the original point, I think from a business point of view, I think from the context of Hermans requirements, an 80, petrol, diesel, manual or auto is not his best choice.

Regards Andy

By the way I'd drive anywhere in mine but I would'nt be as confident as I would have been when it was 2 years old.

Back