Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Awesome MPG

BIG clean GREEN

Garage
Last week I did a lot of motorway driving and have often wondered how many mpg I could get, so by doing 2000rpm most of the time and doing just shy of 60mph I managed to get 29.32mpg WELL WELL impressed with that, mind you I was bored s*#tless and overtaken by numerous caravans and oldies !!!

Nick.

BIG clean GREEN said:
Last week I did a lot of motorway driving and have often wondered how many mpg I could get, so by doing 2000rpm most of the time and doing just shy of 60mph I managed to get 29.32mpg Nick.

That is impressive :clap: .

Last weekend (Fri-Sun) I took mine to Somerset (from Edinburgh) to attend a wedding. Four adults and a load of luggage (three women, you see :lol: ).

968 miles, doing around 2,800 - 3,000 rpm on the M74 / M6 / M5 and I averaged 24.55mpg, pretty much as I expected.

There were a lot of hold-ups on the run south on Friday which wouldn't have helped the economy. 9.5 hours going south, 8.5 hours going north (with one additional stop).

According to my sat-nav, 76mph on the speedo is actually 70mph.

mine's a '98 LWB manual 90 with the 1KZ-TE motor, 125,000 miles by the time I got home.

No problems with the car and it used about 0.5 litres of oil.

I normally use a Focus Estate, 1.8 TDCi, Ghia which returns about 54mpg and is comfortable for these long runs. However my younger daughter is six months pregnant and I thought she would be more comfortable in the Colorado. It also gave me an excuse to give it a long run.

I was quite impressed with the LC. Its a comfortable drive, but a bit of a shock at motorway filling stations :shock: .

You did well, but I don't think I could have stood the strain of keeping below 60 for that sort of journey. If I had averaged 29.32mpg, I would have saved 29.2 litres, or £36.50 @ £1.25/litre.

Fortunately, the LC normally does less than 2,000 miles per year.

Bob.

That is Good :thumbup: I recenctly Drove up to newcastle and was doing 65/70 mph and it returned 27mpg so not to bad as i do have the all terrains on and we was fully loaded with all the bags dog kids etc.

Joe

my 95 has the auto box an on a long motorway run i have had 32 mpg - revs at 2000 -2200.i've herd elsewhere that the auto 'box has a taller gearing & is better on juce than the manual

I can only dream of those MPG's in LB..... :violin:

Yeah, but look what you can do in Lil Blue when you're off the motorway Tony... :drool:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Are these imperial gallons? :eusa-think: If, it means 9,63 litres/100 km. I have reached the same mpg with 33x12.50" muddies, chip + other mods I´ve made. :dance:

29 mpg is amazing - is that in a manual?

best i have managed is 27mpg in my AUTO on a long run down to Sheffield

it had averaged about 24mpg since i got it

but now seems to be doing 22-23mpg, on mix of local runs and some longer A-roads
think all weight of the recovery gear in boot, winch and winch mount etc has had it impact.....

Since I've had my injectors serviced and changed all the oils in the diffs, transferbox and gearbox I am getting 24mpg around town and 28 - 29 on a run sticking to 2200rpm (65mph)in an auto Colorado with 146k on the clock. I'm running Grandtreks on the rear and Coopers on the front , all standard size AT's. Even towing the caravan, I can get 22mpg if I keep it to 55mph.

Yea, mine is auto, and I thought that 29mpg was quite good but sounds like it could be better with a bit of a clean out ! I did have a bit of veg left in the tank which doesn't go quite as far as pure diesel, I've still got about 18 x 3ltr bottles to get through from the Tesco summer offer, so will look into injectors Etc, later on (may need to check on Chris's scedule first "te he he" hey Chris ?)

Nick.

Back