Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

axle diff locks

dellboykev

Country Flag
england
i know this has been done before a thousand times but i cant seem to find how to fix it both diff locks dont work i am engaging the centre diff and the light comes on solid there is no abs light but there isnt an abs light when i turn the ignition on, the front and rear just flash the sensor for the light on the rear one in knackered but the actuators arnt making any noises even when i bridge the rear light wires, so im going to strip the rear one the front looks ok but when i move the switch in to rr i hear a relay click in the diff lock control module in the passenger footwell when i put it in to ffrr should i hear another click for the front? how do i check if im getting power to the lockers? or am i just doing it all wrong?

Also check the wiring towards the actuator.
the rear actuator at my 80 got stuck somehow and kept on pulling current. Result was toasted wiring from actuator to the connector at the main loom. The relais on the difflock ecu was also burnt.
quite easy to replace if you have some soldering skills.
my mate Pat also had a non working front difflock when he bought his cruiser. Connector got unstuck somehow, he plugged it back in and it works now. Worth checking!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 215
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 209
Last edited:
Sorry I haven't kept fully up to date - but didn't you buy this as a GS - but with leather? Sorry if my memory has got a bit hazy there. But if it's a GS it doesn't have ABS. Hence there being no light. I can delete this if I have the wrong vehicle

its a gx im not too fussed about abs i was only mentioning it to see if it was relevant because i have read that the cdl and abs light comes on in low range

after being under it for an hour the rear locker is getting power to the motor so that calls for a strip down there is no power to the front so i took the diff ecu apart and held down the relay for the front diff and it engaged then held down the relay next to it and it dis engaged so i assume it is a relay in the ecu i have ordered some off ebay so ill let everyone know how it goes
IMG_1225.JPG

so after thinking i sorted the problem with the front diff i swapped a couple of the relays over and still nothing i have tested the switch for continuity and that seems fine plus both red diff lights do flash so i dont think its the switch anyone got any ideas because im stumped now

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Karl is sending me a new ecu so i had a go on the back actuator today and got nowhere one of the three cover plate bolts snapped no big deal i can fix that later then i tried to get the bolts that hold the actuator on and that is about as far as i got what size are them bolts 10mm was too loose so i tried a few imperial sockets before i ended up trying to hammer a 9mm on got one off rounded another and didnt even try the top because i couldnt get a swing on the hammer going to get some heat on it tomorrow i think

Had the issues your having many times before Kev. Can be a nightmare.

got the ecu today cheers karl but it didnt make a difference at first i thought it didnt work at all because it wasnt clicking when it put the rear diff lock on then i renembered i disconnected the rear locker yesterday when i was trying to take it off so i reconnected it and the ecu started clicking when i put the rear locker on thats when i had a brain wave and decided to check all the connections on the front locker i knew the 2 power wires where ok because when i activated the relays by hand the actuator would engage so i traced the loom from the actuator to the connector by the master cylnder and checked continuity of the three wires between and low and behold the white and black wire has a break in it somewhere i botched a wire up to bypass the white/black wire and now my front locker works so im pretty pleased with myself:cool: i also added a touch screen radio with android so i can run memory map for green laneing but thats for another thread

image.jpegFinally got all three lights st come on solid and I high range too I might add! A big thanks to Karl Webster for sorting me with the parts

Another happy ending, thanks to Karl and a bit of fiddling on your part Kev.

The warning light for the actuator on the rear of my truck has never gone solid under my 9 years of ownership, but the locker works well enough.

CDL and the front diff lock go solid, but not the rear. I don't care too much because it's only lectrickery, and as long as the smoke stays in the wires I recon it's OK. :lol:

The front locker didn't work when I got the truck, but after greasing Karl's palm, an almost shiny s/h replacement was fitted. The old one completely turned to dust when I took it off!

Your truck will be as good as unstoppable now :thumbup:

Back