Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Back in Black.

I must thank 2 members on the forum publically for the help and information regarding the purchase of a Collie/120 over the last month, they have been a wealth of knowledge and paragons of patience.
Many thanks Trevor Castell and Steve Ellis.:thumbup:

Well done Trevor and Steve :clap: now if you can find me a black swb 90 with a saddle tan leather interior and solid front axle it would be most appreciated :icon-wink:

I have seen swb with cream leather but they always seem to be in India or some such place , ironically my truck is the only swb 90 i have ever seen in the UK with leather seats and it is written and stamped in the owners handbook that they are not genuine Toyota and will not be covered by warranty so i guess whoever bought it new got a dealer to have them reupholstered , in BLUE leather :wtf:

The best colour for a landcruiser imo. Looks a nice motor

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The tahoe looked good, always fancied one.

The tahoe looked good, always fancied one.

It was a great thing TBF, but it was getting old, I only had to replace a leaf in the back spring and replace the rear brake and fuel lines all the time I had it. The 2 door versions in RHD are very rare with the 6.5 TD and it was far from economical, best ever was 22MPG on a run to Canterbury. performance was what you would expect from what it was though and in top cruising was very relaxed.
I let it go before it needed major money spending on it and have got something I always fancied as a sideways swap so onto pastures new.

Shayne, I've seen a white swb collie with grey leather and it looked factory to me, black with tan leather is just yum yum.

Was it a green one Umar with a cloth back seat ? goes to show the 95 series front seats fit the shorty i think . I was going to email the seller to ask if he tried to fit the rear seats as well , ours are shaped around the inner wheel arch which i imagine is unnecessary in a 4 door .

Last edited:
LWB front seats do fit, but after trying this with Fiery the thing I forgot is that you lose the tip forward function that allows people to get into the back that you need in the SWB. Rears from the LWB don't fit as you rightly say because of the rear wheel arch. I even hunted down the heated seat switches and their corresponding loom which fitted great but no heated loom plug that goes into the seat base on the passenger side IIRC.

Was it a green one Umar with a cloth back seat ? goes to show the 95 series front seats fit the shorty i think . I was going to email the seller to ask if he tried to fit the rear seats as well , ours are shaped around the inner wheel arch which i imagine is unnecessary in a 4 door .

Was white for certain and had front and rear leather which looked well worn I remember it having intergalactic mileage

Looks great, was looking for a Black facelift before getting mine as i had the dealer look in mind !!!...modded mine bit and real happy with the way it looks....any more plans for yours other than wheels ?

Must say, the D4D in my 95 has been a revelation !!... never quite expected for it to perform as well as it does, tremendous torque and boy is it quick compared to the previous older 90 i had, economy ain't bad either! Your right on the price though in relation to the LC's although prices for all these 'Cruiser's are all over the place at the moment! Wouldn't have a clue on my valuation on a 2001 95 D4D (somewhere between £3.5 and £5.5K ?)

Good luck with her, nice buy.

After a couple of weeks in the garage the Collie is fit for the road. When I bought it I knew it had a few issues but they were all fixable. True it ran well but the brakes weren't very inspirational and it didn't look well serviced so I've partially baselined it.
Jobs done so far:-

Cambelt and tensioner ( looked like the original one)
Serpentine belt and idler pulley bearings.
Replaced Diff Lock actuator ( front one off an 80)
Rebuilt both back calipers ( made 2 out of 4 80 ones)
Replaced rear discs and some s/h 80 pads.
Replaced front n/s caliper and freed o/s one.
Renewed front pads.
Stuck the arches back in place with a few dots of Tigerseal.
Welded a punctured hole in the back of the diff casing.
Welded the handbrake cable support in the diff casing.
Changed the air and fuel filter.
Removed the rear interior panels and doused it all with Corrosion Block.
Replaced the wheels and tyres ( which was the first thing I did)
Freed of the rear axle breather.
Freed off the handbrake cable pivot and clevis pins.
Thoroughly greased both props.
Replaced o/s CV boot.
Given it a bit of a polish.
De rusted chassis and painted and oil injected.

There are still a few jobs to address but its near enough to use given I've sorned the 80 and Maria has commandeered the Yaris.
Jobs to do:-
Re gas the air con and see if it holds it.
There are a couple of dash/switch/clock bulbs out to replace.
The electric ariel doesn't work but is up.
Cure a couple of trim rattles on bumpy roads.
Change the auto trans and P/S fluid.
Have the bonnet repainted as its been painted badly at some stage.
Look at the rear springs as they seem a little low though it rides well .

At this rate it will soon be a £5K Collie.

Saturday it was taxed and on the road.
IMG_0598_zps91a0dcha.jpg

IMG_0595_zpsll1bifpt.jpg

IMG_0600_zpsm7tfnocd.jpg

Asa I've been using it I've obviously found it a sight different to what I am used to. A responsive 4 cyl engine very keen to rev takes a bit of getting used to after a lazy 6 but it has tonnes of go and is surprisingly refined at cruising speeds. It seems quite economical too but I've only done 120 miles so far.

Looking nice Mr L. Very nice indeed. [emoji4]

Back