Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Back in Black.

Damn these trucks are good , you have restored my faith Andy i have been feeling for a while my truck is looking a little tired but yours shows a bit of elbow grease will put it right :thumbup:

Last edited:
Do you reckon you'll powder coat the side steps??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It'll look great when you get stopped on Police, camera, action !!!!!

Hehehe

Would love to see how a set of 80 alloys would look in silver on mine. They really do look the dogs on a 90

Would love to see how a set of 80 alloys would look in silver on mine. They really do look the dogs on a 90

I would imagine they would look the part. The three spoke efforts were not Mr T's finest creation. I've not met anyone yet who liked them, the older design were far superior.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Well if anything the fuel consumption on this D4D Collie is consistent, 2nd tank average 21.6, pretty much same as the 1st tankful. 360 miles till light came on, 17.5 gall to fill it. Mixed condition driving, only one run on the motorway 40 miles rest here and there.
I think this is disappointing considering I got quite a bit more from my 24V auto 80 series. Its been serviced new everything and runs very well but it does over 200 before it gets to half then after 230 seems to plummet into the low fuel light.
Now I know why it was sold :lol:

I believe that's a Toyota tank gauge specialty, mates corolla does it too. I would be disappointed with low 20's mpg. I would get 420-440 miles form that sort of a fill (about 250 to half) even with a few motorway blasts included. Avoid the motorway and more can be got. I wonder is fuel quality a factor, as you're not the only one mentioning that sort of mpg

The second 1kd in a week to report poor fuel consumption :think: wiki offers 17% more power using 11% less fuel than the 1kz and a quick google suggests about 27mpg is to be expected .

Some minor research about removing the egr on these quickly had me thinking it is better left alone because it is built in to the motors design unlike the 1kz in which the egr is an add on addition . Maybe there is where the problem lies ?

Shayne could have a point, I was thinking it may need an Italian tune up with a can of Wynns Eco Diesel as aperitif. Could it be coked up to the gunnels?

I don't think they are known for it but hey what is it 15 years old at least . When we bought Helen's truck she couldn't keep up with me on the 3 hour journey home so a put 3 cans of wynn's through it over the following 3 weeks and keeping up would not be a problem now .

I also found a 2001 D4D Corolla for our daughter in law with only 40k on the clock completely original apart from the battery . Too good to be true was ringing in my ears but its sluggishness on the test drive convinced me it was genuine so i bought it and put a can of wynns through it right there on the forecourt and asked the daughter to floor it to the next service station . We didn't even get to the motorway before it gave out a belch of black smoke confirming what i expected and cheering up the daughter no end .

Don't really know Andy, and I'm sure you must know far more about these trucks than I do, it's just unknown whether it's been pootled about before you got it and anything with an EGR system is bound to be choking itself on its own waste. Just putting 2 and 2 together thinking it is a possible cause of your low MPG.

No need to cite caution while using wynns given the blown engine on the forum recently but just in case a non member chances upon this , the wynns will increase your revs , as soon as you hear the revs BEGIN to rise stop spraying until the revs drop back to idle speed .

Last edited:
No need to cite caution while using wynns given the blown engine on the forum recently but just in case a non member chances upon this , the wynns will increase your revs , as soon as you hear the revs BEGIN to rise stop spraying until the revs drop back to idle speed .

For clarity here, Shayne is referring to EGR cleaner which is a spray used on the intake. The Wynns Eco Diesel mentioned goes in the tank.

Do you reckon you'll powder coat the side steps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably not at this stage, I'm trying to keep it within a budget until I decide if its going to be a keeper and there's a bit of necessary to spend yet. I wouldn't mind some lights like Sag's but where do you stop??

I know what you mean Andy,they has got to be a time when you stop spending on extras well so my wife says :laughing-rolling:I made the same mistake with my bm just spent and spent doing bits here and there and ended up with£5000 in an 03 plate 330d,if your looking at a long time keep its not too bad but I seem to get board :think:

I get cold feet sometimes when i think about what i have spent on my truck which leads me to spend a few excruciating hours searching the web for something about 3 years old to replace it with . But i just can't convince myself i would enjoy owning a Nissan Pathfinder or in 2nd place a Hilux as much as i do my truck , besides which i would modify both . So in an arse about face way spending on my truck is saving me £££££££££££££££

Starcruiser reminds me that both my trucks also get a bottle of wynn's gold formula diesel injector and fuel system cleaner about 3 times a year which is maybe a bit ott .

To my thinking both the egr intake cleaner spray and the fuel cleaner are wasted money unless you can get on a motorway and drive it like you stole it for an hour immediately after application as i assume the only way it can break down and remove crap is by burning it so the more heat the better .

I know im not a 95 owner,but still a d4d. I will be blanking my egr valve maybe tomorrow if the weathers good. i have read up a few posts and on the 120 you need to keep a small hole (6/7mm) in the blanking plate to stop any lights coming up. the pictures i have seen siim to keep ths intake a lot cleaner.

Back