Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Bad vs good underside of a 120

Animal Mother

Country Flag
wales
I'm hoping to view a 120 (2005 LC4) this Sunday and I've been told to look out for rust/rot and condition underneath. However, I don't have a point of reference and I don't want to miss out on a good car by thinking it's bad, or worse still, pick up a bad car thinking it's good!

So, do any of you nice lot have pics of the underside of a 120 (body and chassis) sowing what would be considered bad and what would be considered good.

Thanks.

AM

I think that's about average, you'll be doing well to find one better imo.

120s like to rust

I've seen one recently far worse than that!

If you can wait for 10 days, I have pictures of my old 120, with over 200,000 on the clock, almost no rust at all, quite immaculate I would say.

I viewed a one owner 40K 04 plate one, mint on top and inside, like it had been in the sea underneath. Be prepared to view a few and don't be in a rush.
If you're not sure take someone who knows.
Where is it BTW?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Not 30 miles from me, swing round and I'll come with you if you want. I'm sort of hankering after a 120 but haven't come across one as good as my Collie underneath yet. What time are you viewing as I've got to work it round a viewing of my Chevy.

Not 30 miles from me, swing round and I'll come with you if you want. I'm sort of hankering after a 120 but haven't come across one as good as my Collie underneath yet. What time are you viewing as I've got to work it round a viewing of my Chevy.

Not managed to sort the viewing yet as the chap is on hols so need to speak to him tomorrow AM.

I viewed a one owner 40K 04 plate one, mint on top and inside, like it had been in the sea underneath. Be prepared to view a few and don't be in a rush.
If you're not sure take someone who knows.
Where is it BTW?
That's what the one I've seen looked like. The front bash guard had rotted away.

My 120 is pretty good underneath but then i did look at many. but i will say its not as good as my colorado was underneath. Toyota did a good job on the Collies and then skimped on the 120's.

Everytime i work on the 120 i take the opportunity to clean up any light rust i see before it gets out of hand.

That's what the one I've seen looked like. The front bash guard had rotted away.
Yeah the Bash guards are useless, the design of them lets water sit inside due to the cooling grill and then rusts out. i took my bash guard off, cleaned it up and give it as many coatings as i could with what paint i had in the garage, then gave it a final satin black coat. a year on and it probably needs doing again.

The sad thing was the one I saw had just been bought. The chap didn't look under it. The dealer must have been laughing all the way to the bank as it wasn't cheap either. Shame.

The sad thing was the one I saw had just been bought. The chap didn't look under it. The dealer must have been laughing all the way to the bank as it wasn't cheap either. Shame.

Best I've seen is Trev's 06 Invincible, Looks like it was protected from new.

there are a fair few 120's in London that have never left the city that look fair underneath - but these trucks typically also dont get much under-body attention on a regular bassis. I looked at about 20 or so before getting the one I have, and this isn't perfect by any stretch, its a fair condition and I've looked after it as best as I can, regularly. There is no real rust anywhere, even surface rust gets brushed back atleast twice a year.

Generally, in city vehicles that I saw were generally in a better condition than ones up north. Having said that, its been ~ 4 years since I've had this one, and have not been looking at 120s since. so your mileage may vary, I just thought of dropping this dimension in.

The only problem i found with city cars, near enough all corners were bashed or scraped. one i looked at had come from Camden way, it had really low mileage but every single panel even the roof had a scuff or dent.

Back