Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Baselining My 80 / Overland Build

I've set this out in two sections for easy reading, theory and practice. It's just what I learned, if there are errors let me know and I'll update this.

THE THEORY

On the assembly which has the large and small gear, there are two springs. These springs are referred to as ‘waiting springs’.

DSCF0917 (800x451) (800x451).jpg

As I understand it, when you engage or disengage the diff lock, the electric motor does its thing and turns the big gear. If the locking mechanism in the diff is all aligned, the shaft moves and the small gear turns, moving the shaft out or in to to engage or disengage the lock …. perfect. However, if it’s not all aligned, the shaft can’t move so the motor still does its thing and turns the gear, but this time the springs are wound up. By design, the electric motor will stop turning at the required point transferring the energy into the springs. When things do line up in the diff, the energy in the springs drives the small gear engaging or disengaging the lock as required.

Note:- Don’t take this assembly apart unless something is broken, there shouldn’t really be any need. If you do, you will have to wind up the springs again and your guess is as good as mine as how much this should be done by.

Look at the underside of the assembly and you will see that there is a shiny metal plate with two plastic areas in it.

DSCF0916 (800x451) (800x451).jpg

This is in essence a switch. As the gear rotates, the 3 spring contacts screwed on the bottom of the housing make contact when on metal and break contact when on the plastic. This action starts and stops the motor and of course reverses the motor to lock (or unlock depending on your perspective here). So, if you had the right “Reference Points” you could continuously check the continuity in the circuits to determine the on position and the off position for each direction of rotation (i.e. in or out). In doing this the shaft will move in or out and if you had the Dimensions you could set this up.

The Reference Points you need are:

1. The location of the 3 contacts (hidden when the assembly is installed)
  2. The Mid Point between the two plastic areas in the shiny metal plate mentioned above (also hidden when the assembly is installed)

The Dimensions you need are: The diff is unlocked when the shaft sticks out 55.5mm and locked when it sticks out 73mm. Visually, it looks like this:
Unlocked - - - - - - Mid Point - - - - - - Locked
55.5 63 73

The Terminals you need to check continuity are as follows: with the locking part of the connector at the top the top row of pins are numbered 3, 2 and blank. The second row is 4, 5 and 6. Pins 4 and 5 test retraction, 4 and 6 test extension. 4 is black, 5 is yellow, 6 is green.

PRACTICE
To recap, you now have the armature in the housing and the brushes properly seated. From this point on, keep an eye on the armature as during the following it may pop out and you’ll have to re-seat the brushes again which after 3 or 4 times becomes a right PITA, believe me :icon-cry:

Step1
Grease up and insert the locking shaft into the housing. You need to align this so it sticks out of the housing to the Mid Point, i.e. 63mm. By doing this, the ridges on the shaft which are now on the inside are roughly in the right position. Remember, what happens when you apply electricity is that the shaft moves in or out and it is this that we are now trying to set correctly. If you set it up so it sticks out less than this then on full retraction the inside end of the shaft will collide with housing when the motor is running. This will damage your motor, gears or both. Conversely, if you set it up too long then on full extension, the shaft may come out.

Step 2
Take the assembly and while looking at the shiny plate on the large gear, find the Mid Point between the two plastic areas. Now, draw a mark on the opposite side of the large gear in a place which matches this Mid Point. This is so you can see it when the assembly is installed.

Step 3
You need to know where the 3 contacts are when the assembly is installed, so take a marker pen and on the inside of the housing draw a line up from the contact to the top. In the pic below you can see an arrow head pointing down .....

DSCF0921 (800x451) (800x451).jpg

Step 4
Take the assembly and line up the mark you made in step 2 with the mark you made in step 3 and lower the assembly so both gears engage. Your assembly is now roughly aligned and it’s time to test how close it is.

Step 5 – test retraction
Put the cover over the assembly and locate it on its dowels. Connect your meter to pins 4 and 5. My tester gives an audible beep when there is continuity. It sounds straight away. Rotate the armature spindle so the locking shaft retracts. Keep rotating until continuity is lost or the shaft is sticking out 55.5mm or so. If it reaches 55 and is still sounding, you need to rotate the large gear on the assembly round a tooth and re-test. Repeat until the sound stops when 55mm is reached. Don’t worry about the odd half millimetre !!! This is what it looks like once done and the cover is removed.

DSCF0922 (800x451) (800x451).jpg

Step 6 – test extension
Repeat the above but turning the armature the other way and using pins 4 and 6. It is likely that you will not need to adjust further at this point as it is the start point which determines the extension because the shiny plates tells the motor when to stop winding out.
If you’ve done all the above, you should have a working Diff Lock

DSCF0927 (800x451) (800x451).jpg

go and connect it to the car and test it
Hope this helps
:icon-biggrin:

excellent write up & pics,
need to have a look at mine over xmas

Andy

This is good "sticky" material; a very detailed explanation complete with informative photos. I'm sure someone will correct any errors, but reading it there seems little room for error, so long as it works afterwards!

Great work going on here :clap:

Love this forum :thumbup:

Cheers Clive.

Tested it on the bench this morning using 12v between pins 3 and 2 which control the motor in/out by swapping polarity. Worked fine :dance:

Went up to the car afterwards and plugged it into the car wiring and operated it from the dash ....... worked perfectly :dance::dance:

Now it's attached to the axle with more nice stainless bolts (no more nasty corrosion :icon-biggrin:) I used the same 12v bench test method to get the shaft sticking out the right distance to line up with the hole in the actuator..............

DSCF0928 (800x451).jpg

DSCF0929 (800x451).jpg

Last edited:
Crikey, has it been more than a week since I posted ...... :doh:...... time flies.

Having completed the axle rebuild, it was time to put it back in with new shocks and springs. I opted for the Pedders kit which gives about 50mm of lift. The important bit to note is that this kit gives that lift when fully loaded with bull bar, winch, rear load etc. Without the required load, it will be much higher and more uncomfortable. I will report how hard once I've taken it out. In the meantime, here's a pic of one of the rear shocks I took out against the Pedders replacement. Methinks the old bit was past its best, check out the rust :icon-surprised:

DSCF0930 (800x450).jpg

The new springs are about the same length, but are beefier and have more coils .........

DSCF0932 (800x450).jpg

Got it all bolted back in now and moved onto the front axle.

Taking the front axle out was pretty straight forward. The big bolts for the leading arm to chassis needed the services of a really long bar to overcome the torque they were done up to. I left the leading arms, tie rod and stabiliser bar on to make it easier to remove rusty bolts without destroying things. The straps just kept the wheels pointing the same way when I was towing it to the cleaning station......

DSCF0938 (800x450).jpg

I knew this had problems with drive shaft oil seals as not long after getting it following purchase, one day there was a pile of grey goo on the nearside floor and the stink of gear oil. The off side also leaked but not as much so I lived with it for a few weeks until getting it here. It took lots of petrol to go from this sort of thing ............

DSCF0936 (800x450).jpg

to this ......

DSCF0963 (800x451).jpg

I was surprised the nearside front disc brake worked at all with amount of normal oil on it and the pads and caked solid oil and filth under that........

DSCF0937 (800x450).jpg

None the less, I ended up with something pretty clean to strip down and work with

DSCF0959 (800x451).jpg

DSCF0960 (800x451).jpg

DSCF0961 (800x451).jpg

The front locker looks in good condition, not much corrosion. It did work for a while but stopped though. Taking it off was a bit of a PITA. There are only 2 nuts and 1 bolt holding it on and all those came off nicely. Thing is, it was stuck on, would not budge not even with mild mannered levering with a big screw driver. I decided to remove the top stud as the white corrosion in the holes sticks like welded steel and it could be the culprit. So, having applied a little well directed heat using nothing more than a camping gaz torch, using the two nuts I undid it and bingo, the locker came loose. I was surprised at how long the stud was though ................

DSCF0973 (800x450).jpg

Now I'm in the process of stripping the hubs and spindles and cleaning them.

DSCF0972 (800x451).jpg

Mrs Mblinko is starting to complain about my new Eau de Petrol which seems to get under the skin :lol:.

Got the casing stripped, rust ground off and Fertan applied yesterday. More tomorrow, once the Fertan is dry and assembly with all the new bits can start.

Got some shiney new pistons the other day ..........

DSCF0976 (800x451).jpg

rear one's have already been fitted. Got to say what a right PITA this job was, trying to get the lip of the seal in before the piston was fitted - crap design, why didn't they just design them like the front one's :icon-rolleyes:

Something weird is going on, there's an image after this post (below this text) which shouldn't be there. Cant get rid of it :cry:

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Got to work removing all the rust, treated it with Fertan and gave it wash down ...........

DSCF0977 (800x451).jpg

DSCF0978 (800x451).jpg

DSCF0979 (800x451).jpg

Next up...... waxoyl .............

DSCF0995 (800x451).jpg

Waxoyl takes a few days to go off, so I got round to re-building the calipers with the new pistons and seals. This is the front caliper all cleaned up. You can see how the boots are puckering up with age ..........

DSCF0980 (800x451).jpg

Getting some of them out proved a bit challenging, but use of various levers and pipe grips took care of that and got me to this stage with pistons in and ready for boots and pads .......

DSCF0983 (800x451).jpg

Boots on ........
DSCF0984 (800x451).jpg

and pads in ..........

DSCF0985 (800x451).jpg

Full suite ready for installation, sometime soon ........

DSCF0988 (800x450).jpg

Yesterday I set to on the exhaust. I was quite surprised at the number of holes in the old exhaust ! It didn't sound like it was blowing anywhere.

Here's a pic of the old one alongside the new one...........

DSCF0990 (450x800).jpg

The overall fit was OK, not brilliant, but then again it wasn't a £1000 custom made exhaust. It touches the sill in one place by the front hanger and the silencer just touches the heat shield above it. I suspect it will be a source of knocking noise and will need a trip to the supplier to adjust bends a little. Then again, I might be lucky :think:

Today's job's .......... start the axle rebuild and make some new brake pipes for the rear.

Did you have any issues with the piston seals and fitting the metal rings? I found them a nightmare to fit in past, they kept squeezing the seal off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you have any issues with the piston seals and fitting the metal rings? I found them a nightmare to fit in past, they kept squeezing the seal off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I know what you mean, I had two that took a few attempts to seat properly. If they are grease free and you open the clip wide and seat it in one go, it should be fine.

Yes, being grease free is the trick and a set of snap ring pliers helps.
Real credit to you there. I'd love to do that level of refirb to mine. It's going to last a lifetime.

Oh to get rid ot the extra pic, go to manage attachements as you do when you post them up, find the image and check the little x in the top coner and it should ask if you want to delete this resource.

..... It's going to last a lifetime.
. I hope it'll last a good while. As you can see, I'm not trying to create a vision of beauty, only of form and function. Most bushes underneath are fine and now that nuts and bolts come off easy, I can put some of the Superior stuff on later next year.

Oh to get rid ot the extra pic, go to manage attachements ........
thanks

A good job going on here, everyone seems to have a different story! Nice work, will you be changing the CVs?

A good job going on here, everyone seems to have a different story! Nice work, will you be changing the CVs?

Thanks Clive. Yes, in fact that's what I've been doing today. I put some RCV's in ...........

DSCF1002 (800x451).jpg

not sure whether the claim is true, but I do love these little details ...........

DSCF0997 (800x451).jpg

Spent the time I had yesterday, assembling the knuckles and putting new seals etc in ..............

DSCF0999 (800x451).jpg

No dramas here, all went pretty smoothly ...........

DSCF1001 (800x451).jpg

Today, I had a bit more time spare so I got the birfs in and the spindles attached. I haven't photo'd much of this as it's been done a thousand times already. One question I did have though is one which I don't have a good answer to other than the FSM's "three fourths" comment and that is, how much grease in the knuckle. I've put an entire tub into each knuckle. It's not enough to even touch the void between the knuckle and the knuckle housing, though the knuckle is packed tight and full. Have I put enough in ??? :think:

DSCF1005 (800x451).jpg

One tip I'd share is that I found it easier to assemble the 5 bits: gaskets, spindle, shield and seal, in my left hand and put two bolts in to line up all the holes. Then simply offer up the complete assembly, locate and screw in the bolts. Much easier than putting each one on the axle in turn and trying to line up all the holes. Remember to grease up the bronze bearings in the spindle as well, not just a smear, but quite a lot.

Last edited:
I also got round to looking at the front diff locker which as I mentioned earlier stopped working recently. Mine is not corroded really so I got the 3 screws of the armature housing out pretty easy with an impact driver. When I took off the cover, all four magnets were unglued and attached to the armature ..............

DSCF1008 (800x451).jpg

So, just like the rear one, these will need numbering and gluing back in with araldite. I'm pretty pleased with the condition as I don't think I need to disassemble any further.............

DSCF1012 (800x451).jpg

Araldite is going off as I write, so it'll get put back together and tested tomorrow.

Oh to get rid ot the extra pic, go to manage attachements as you do when you post them up, find the image and check the little x in the top coner and it should ask if you want to delete this resource.

It must be me, but when I click to edit the post, the picture is outside the area in which I can edit the post, plus I can't see how to manage attachments ..... sorry being a bit dense here :confusion-scratchh:

You may have run out of time in which to do the edit.

Yes one tub is enough. If you are taking the swivel off the knuckle it's a good time to pack grease around the back of the cannon ball so that when you steer there is some movement inside the hub and a good wall of grease behind the felt washer to keep the crud out. Most of the grease in the hub does nothing but take up space that could otherwise be occupied by water. Must be a lovely job to do on the bench as it were rather than on your old knees.

Back