Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Basic CB setup

AndyCook

Garage
Country Flag
scotland
thinking of investing in some CB gear - could be useful for future trips - including the dales weekend with "one life adventure" i am going on in September.

I have an empty space behind blanking plate below radio-cassette-CDchanger head unit, so could fit it there.
i understand most budget CB have downward facing speaker - but can be heard even when installed in dash?

any good advice on starter packages?
i have read lots discussion on here of some ariels to avoid

I got the Intek M100 unit with a mag mount springer as my use is basically for convoy work while laning - so far its been fine. Got some impressive range out of Strata on it when we left Karl for dead!!! :lol: But I have an alternative whip (Sirio...) to fit on my front bumper when I get to it - the one that JW uses.

I didn't mount mine in the dash on JW's advice (possible overheating) & the speaker is fine - I was going to get a remote speaker but was advised by the seller that this had quite a good speaker fitted which I can confirm :D Its a nice easy to use system; the springer came pre-SWR'ed.

Its a can of worms... :roll:

Heat and accessibilty to deal with problems is why I would avoid dash mounting.

Don't forget Tobyjug on here, has some good deals and advice.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I've got an "Intek 790+" ... great little rig

SANY000317.jpg

mounted it there cos it wouldn't fit under the stereo (which is where i originally wanted it to go)

I went for an Albrecht this time as it has a front facing speaker. But I have added an external speaker too. It also runs through a 50 amp for when we get up into the trees in Scotland. Sirio High power 4000 aerial.

The unit is actually not bolted into the bracket in the dash. It's a 'push fit' so I can get it out.

Albrecht.jpg

Seems a nice rig.

Chris

I've got a Midland 98 Plus mounted in the dash below the stereo, and fitted an external speaker, you can just see it on the side of the transmission tunnel peeping out from behind the battery monitor display on the left. I didn't know if the internal speaker would be loud enough hidden away in the dash so put the other speaker in, I think when the extra speaker is plugged in it may disable the internal one, :confusion-confused: but the whole rig works a treat with a Sirio 3000 twig on the winch bumper. :thumbup: Looking at that picture I think the inside of the Cruiser needs a spring clean :oops:

IMG_0233.jpg

thanks for photos of install and advice Chaps = plenty of ideas and food for thought.
seems a split between some fitting inside dash and some not (due to poss overheating issues)

i will take the plunge when i get back from Pyrenees!

Pop yourself along to the wee garage at Affleck (near Whiterashes). He has a decent stock and range of CB radios new and second hand and can offer some good advice. He is also pretty cheap.

Basically if you head south through Whiterashes on the A947 and take the first left after you have left the village. The garage is on the second junction (right hand turn).

thanks Bill
that sounds like a good idea - and I am sure he could also help with setup and this SWR business

The chap is getting on a bit and is not very mobile so you are in for a shock when you go there. He used to run a small garage now its more like a collection of junk in a shed. Not what i was expecting when I went to see him! He is a font of knowledge though. :thumbup:

These are the kind of chaps that make excellent contacts :thumbup: Sadly a dying breed... :(

When you get to buy something let me know mate as I can no doubt do you a nice deal.

You can always give me a call on 07572 453 789 from some FREE advice.. :p

thanks TobyJug
i will start looking into it in July

AndyCook said:
thanks TobyJug
i will start looking into it in July

No worries mate,

the phone comes direct to me most of the time.. I will answer at any reasonable hour...
Advice is free.. :p

Back