Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Basic tools to buy for self servicing land cruiser.

Yes exactly KB I too got that doubt. he says change engine oil n filter every 5000 Kms which is approximately every 3000 miles in UK. Differential oil every 40000 kms which is approx 35K miles.
I thought worst case change everything engine oil n filters every 5000 miles

Did anyone try 4 ramps without a jack?

Yep - this is what I normally do unless I need to take a wheel off! I know TractionMan does the same.

If the ramp has a tyre lock after climbing This work out without jack ?

Not sure what you mean. But you can drive onto the ramps and put it in park / handbrake, and its fine. If I'm under it for any length of time I will stick some axle stands underneath the frame too just as a failsafe.

Milwaukee seems to be very expensive.

They're not cheap. You need batteries and a charger as well as the tool itself. In reality, most people buy the impact wrench for the power tool battery platform they already have (milwaukee, dewalt, makita etc etc)

Can I just buy the gun alone and use it with my Halfords set?

No - well, it would work but you really shouldn't. Impact guns should be used with special impact sockets which are hardened so they dont shatter. So you need a set of impact sockets to go with the gun!

For now though, I wouldn't worry too much about the impact gun - as others have said, its a nice to have but not essential when you're just starting things.

Or do I have to buy Halfords torque wrench 300 at about 100£ To match the set

The torque wrench is a different thing. Halfords do good torque wrenches. Any torque wrench thats the right size (3/8" or 1/2") will work OK with your halfords sockets.

The thing with torque wrenches is they have all different ranges of torque, so you might end up with 3 or 4 of them like me - for different types of jobs.

But if you get that torque meter thing in the link above (or an equivalent one - think thats a 1/2" you may need 3/8" depending on your sockets), that works across a very wide torque range and will be compatible with your halfords sockets and ratchet / breaker bars.

Hope that helps!

I ordered full service kit, 10 litres of 5w30 Toyota oil

Just out of interest is that fully or semi synth on your LC200?

I use semi on my 120, but don't know if the 200 requires better with its fancy DPF etc.

My understanding is that landcruisers in the UK are the same oil for 100,120,150,200 series. Toyota will only sell you that one 5w30ss.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Ya it’s synthetic 5w30
1629509079788.png

Milwaukee seems to be very expensive. Can I just buy the gun alone and use it with my Halfords set? Or do I have to buy Halfords torque wrench 300 at about 100£ To match the set
You seem to have two things confused here.

An impact gun is an air or battery powered wrench, you can use them with any sockets with the correct square drive, but need to match the batteries to the tool. I have dewalt because that's what the rest of my tools are.

A torque wrench is a hand tool for accurately tightening things. Again anything with a matching drive will fit. I would probably not get the 300 torque wrench as the minimum torque is 60 Nm which you'll probably find too high for many fixings.
I have a 28-200 Nm 1/2" drive torque wrench which gets used for things like wheel nuts. Then a smaller 3/8" (which is broken, don't buy sealey), and a tiny 1/4“ because my car has some delicate stuff.
The 1/2" is the most useful of those and would be my first purchase.

An impact gun is an air or battery powered wrench, you can use them with any sockets with the correct square drive

You really want impact sockets on an impact wrench - the ordinary chrome ones can shatter

Agreed, I have a set of black impact sockets which I use with the gun.

I've still got one of these Impact Driver I bought nearly 30 years ago. The "battery" on these is a 3lb lump hammer :thumbup:. A bit belt and braces but it's got me out of the shite a few times, long before battery powered tools became widely available.

Could be a worthwhile thought to get a local mechanic that would come with you when you book your slot and show you around your car, and give you some basic lessons in repairs and use of the hand tools. Having some proper guidance would give you a lot more confidence and better use of the workshop time

Jake I ll keep that option, I know a old mechanic n Toyota’s are his fav but was not ready to work on my land cruiser when I had AHC issues but he ll definitely share his knowledge around maintenance tasks

Raj, I do a fair bit of work on 4x4’s and served my time on Toyotas, albeit a fair few years ago and I wouldn’t want to rush into AHC repairs, so don’t hold that against him

Yes you are right Jake. He is very genuine person . I will again contact him n ask him to be beside me when I do oil change.
Usually with him when bill was let’s say 140, I used to round off n give 150. He never took advantage of my attitude n always quoted correct price.
I noticed that when I did this with other DIY persons at home, they started quoting more prices, almost double next time. We won’t go bankrupt by paying 10£ more or they won’t become millionaires by taking 10£ more but such things will tell us what a person is like

Mike, today I went to Costco to book tyres for my other car and looked at Dewalt 182 pc set. There is no mention of guarantee like Halfords advanced tools. They are mixed specs of few drive, few SAE.so felt this set at Costco although 50£ cheaper from Amazon might not be better than Halfords advanced lifetime guarantee so last minute took it off from trolley

Sorry to bother you all so many times. I am thinking of this set. Halfords advanced 150 pc set. It’s at 195£ only doubt is is it suitable for LC, there is too much of terminology AF/SAE/metric, 3/8,1/4 etc. can it fit to power tools, torque machine.
1629668622790.png

Back