Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Bearing drifts

Do you know what is the perfect fit for your new seal?

The old one.

Place the new seal in position.

Place the old seal, upside down, onto it.

Tap around the old seal with a hammer to drive the new seal in.

Roger

Roger

Thats so blindingly obvious i had not even considered it!

Take my hat off to you and thank you!

Adrian

Remeber always to press the inner or outer race; i.e. that which you are pressing. Otherwise the force will be taken by the rollers or balls and damaging the bearing. So onto a shaft press the inner and into a housing press the outer.

Frank

Thank you Frank.

well pleased to have learned so much from a simple question.

Grateful to you both for the shared wisdom.

Last edited:
Remeber always to press the inner or outer race; i.e. that which you are pressing. Otherwise the force will be taken by the rollers or balls and damaging the bearing. So onto a shaft press the inner and into a housing press the outer.

Frank

Yes, never use force on the inner race---ball or roller---to push an outer race into position.

Roger

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I have a set of those, of course with the lathe I can turn them to size perfectly. They're very good. When fitting seals in cavities such as the front hub, you can't use an old one because there's no room to swing a hammer or even get your paws in if theyre as big as mine. So the set really helps there as the handle gives you something to tap. Fear not, you haven't wasted your money.

When pressing in a new race using the old outer race, it's bets to cut a slot across it so that when it follows the new one into the hole, you can get it back out again!!

Chris

Front hub seals are only recessed a mm or so, so you push the new seal in with the old one and then pull the old one out with a pair of pliers.It is that simple.

Yes you can cut an outer race but you will need a thin grinding disc to do it. Another way is to reduce the dia. by grinding on a wheel.

Roger

Yes Roger, front hub seals are, but there are plenty that aren't. We don't only work on Landcruisers. I have fitted many seals and bearings over the years so I hardly need a lesson thanks all the same. I'd still defy anyone to get a hammer inside a swivel hub and strike squarely. As removing the old seal invariably involves destroying it or at least distorting it, I am not sure where you'd get the old seal from and as they are rubber with only a thin metal outer, I can't see it being much use for driving a new one in either. Hub seals might be a different matter, but inner axle oil seals?

Thin grinding disc? No, I use a 1mm cutting disc. This allows it to spring. Grinding it on a wheel sounds like a laborious approach, especially on something that's hardened.

Chris

The object of this forum is to pass on knowledge that we have accumulated over the years. Each of us has different ways of doing things. We pass that knowledge on and hopefully it will be of use to others. I suggest we leave it at that.

Roger

Hi Ryan

Price does include VAT.

Chris, Roger et all
I certainly appreciate all of the knowledge and observational viewpoints that help to build a richer picture and a deeper understanding of the various ways there are to get things done. Thank you.

Adrian

Last edited:
Back