Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

BFG KM2 - rotation and wear.

wobbly

Garage
Decided to rotate the tyres today on the 95.

They are 255/85R16 BFG MT's.

I noticed that the front two are wearing more on the outside/inside edge, which I put down to the 99.99% road use and power steering.

The blocks have a 'heel and toe' wear, would this be down to the suspension/bodylift?

Backs are fine, nice even wear, so by rotating them they should wear evenly at the back, just have to rotate them every 5000km

Have a nice pile of Lincomb mud on the drive after cleaning the wheels inside !

Pete

I am going to check the pressures tomorrow, going to aim for 34psi.

It could also be the caster angle

http://www.tyrepower.com.au/alignment.aspx

But with a 2" suspension lift I guess thats no surprise - I guess that caster correction bushes would be the solution for this.

Pete

1/ Inflate the tyres to the pressure you feel is best when they are cold.

2/ Drive for a distance of about 60 miles, preferably on a motorway at 70 mph..

3/ Recheck the tyre pressures immediately after pulling over and compare them with the pressures you had at the start of your run. If your initial pressure was right, then hot readings should be 6 psi (42 kPa) [0.42 bar] higher than the cold readings.
ie:from cold "start-off" to hot running after say an hour, you want to see pressure increase.

4/ If there is a greater than 6psi (42 kPa) [0.42 bar] difference between these pressures, the tyre temperature got too high and so the pressure needs to be increased, (flexing).
If there is less than 6 psi (42 kPa) [0.42 bar] difference, the pressure needs to be lowered.

5/ Be sure to use the same accurate gauge for both readings.

Gra

wobbly said:
I But with a 2" suspension lift I guess thats no surprise - I guess that caster correction bushes would be the solution for this.
This is on a 95 right? Not sure about CC bushes on IFS ;)

No caster correction bushes for these.

I found that not all alignment places are equal, and that it was the caster adjustment that separated the men from the morons. No matter what they tell you, it can be adjusted to 100% correct with a 2" lift.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yep, good point about the IFS.

So what I need is a good tyre place - have a place in mind, was going to get them to balance the front tyres again, will ask them about caster angles.

Am going to buy myself a tyre pressure checker and give that a go, thanks Graham.

Pete.

Went along to the garage this morning.

Owner has a Colorado, and the do caster and camber adjustments.

He tells me that the caster angle is fixed on the truck, so cannot be adjusted - does that sound right?

He looked at the tyres and thinks it is normal wear for a Mud tyre being used as a road tyre.

Checked the pressures and three were at 41psi and one was at 38psi, so I will set them all to 41psi.

I can then do the check as previously described.

Any thoughts on the caster angle being fixed - its a 96 Prado 3.0 diesel.

Cheers

Pete

wobbly said:
He tells me that the caster angle is fixed on the truck, so cannot be adjusted - does that sound right?

Any thoughts on the caster angle being fixed - its a 96 Prado 3.0 diesel.

FAIL!

The caster does not have dedicated adjusters, but can be adjusted through a combination of camber and toe adjustment. I had to try 3 different places before I found someone that knew what they are doing - you can watch them do the adjustment on a monitor, and they get it spot on.

Cool, I did wonder about his answer as it didnt reflect what I was being told here.

So, how do I find someone who knows what they are doing and I can trust, without driving to Surrey!

Pete

Talk to the guy who will actually be doing the work, rather than the guy driving the till (why is he working the till...?).

wobbly said:
Cool, I did wonder about his answer as it didnt reflect what I was being told here.

So, how do I find someone who knows what they are doing and I can trust, without driving to Surrey!

Pete
I take mine to my freindly Mr T in Yeovil to be done, he does groan when he sees my truck booked in for tracking. As you, I have a 40mm lift and this does push the limits a bit but he has managed to set mine up absolutely spot on.

It makes a huge difference when set up properlly the drive is completely different.

Just one word of warning if you have not had the camber adjusted before then there is a good chance that the camber adjuster cams on the lower wishbone bushes are seized and they are a right work up to replace.

Steve

Yeovil is ok for me.

Is there anyone in particular who does the work for you?

Pete

wobbly said:
Yeovil is ok for me.

Is there anyone in particular who does the work for you?

Pete

If you speak to Paul, the service Manager, he will set things up for you..

Steve

Back