Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

BFG MT KM2 life?

Dave

Nearly time to replace my original MT's. Don't know how many miles they've done, but have been on the truck for about 9 years now.

But will KM2's last as long?

I spoke to the importer of the bfg's and general grabbers, they told me that the tyres have a life expectancy of 10 years (obviously mileage dependant!), so if like me you do maybe 5000miles a year then you will get 10 years/50,000 miles.

In my case, I went for the cheaper GG's as they reckoned on about 40,000 miles of tread.

Those were AT's, but the 10 year expectancy would be the same for KM2's. The KM2's on my 95 are about 2 years old, def quieter than the previos pattern, although I will go for AT's if they need replacing, just dont need the mud tread 99% of the time.

Pete

I had mine fitted (255/85/16's) back in 2010 on the 23rd November, since then I've done roughly 6000 miles on them. While doing some bits and bobs on the truck today I gave them a quick measure for you, center of tyre front 12mm and rear 13mm. The spare that is unused has 14mm :icon-biggrin: :icon-biggrin: :icon-biggrin:

Although 6000 miles may not seem many they have mostly been hard miles as 80% of the trucks use is for fun and therefore off-road or doing 100mph up a motorway for 4Hrs to get off-road :icon-twisted: :icon-biggrin:

They are starting to look a bit like this now though :whistle:

IMG_3823_zps7e94bc03.jpg

Last edited:
I have the BFG All Terrains
265 x 70 x R17

I can't believe the very low wear rate.
I even think I am measuring it wrong.
But last year, when the Land Cruiser was in Toyota for service, they as a matter of routine, measure all the tread depths.
The BFG AT when new I think to remember are 13mm
Toyota measured them all at 11,5mm
That gave me some thing like 40,000 miles on 1,5mm

I still don't think it's right, but there it is, in fact, I am convinced it must be wrong, but I can't see where?

OK, I know the BFG AT last a long time, but this is just puzzling me.

If I run them down to 4mm, then that gives me 9 mm to wear out on the roads.
That's some thing stupid like 26,000 miles per mm. I just don't get it.

I don't even want to see what 9mm times 26,000 miles is, because that will just convince me even more that some thing is wrong.

Gra

Back