Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Big end shell replacement

Bat21 said:
What you see is the result of the lead/bronze/indium flashing (bearing material) de laminating from the steel shell.

So is that a flaw with the bearing or is that how they eventually die?

Crispin said:
So is that a flaw with the bearing or is that how they eventually die?
It is a very well known problem with the 12v 80's, most people replace them with the American made ACL bearings.

I thought it was due to different engine oil formulations between here and Japan. :?:

Yup, I'm with Mr Rubie on that. I recall that info in a post from Julian on the other channel a while back.

Lets see if we can't find it ;-)

Aha, here it is - quote/unquote from Mr Voelcker from TLOCUK

"The main BEB problem is down to the material used for the BEBs on the 12 valve engine only - the bearings were changed on the 24 valve and uses different material. Research suggests that is is down to an incompatibility with the oils and the bearing material - Japanese oils have higher levels of calcium which the bearings like, European oils have lower levels which leads to the problems, unless you look at some of the top end oils like Amsoil Synthetic, although the vehicle would need to run on this from birth.

Any BEB problems on 24valve engines appear to be down to machining issues or poor maintenace - there is no solid evidence to suggest that that there is a link between them."

So I presume that new shells from Mr 'Yota are the 24 valve shells that will not deteriorate over time if treated responsibly...

well mine where done too....
Not long after I bought the truck... lucky as they where not in a good state.....

Gav I think they are just made of different materials now to prevent the problem....... but not sure....

As far as I am aware ALL the 12 valve shells from Toyota suffer from the problem so the recommendation is to either fit ACL as a once only job or fit genuine Toyota, but change every 100k miles.

At the moment I am trying to buy more stocks of ACL (an Aussie firm), however believe that they may have gone into administration.. I'll know more in the next couple of days,

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Julian Voelcker said:
At the moment I am trying to buy more stocks of ACL (an Aussie firm), however believe that they may have gone into administration..
wow such demand and gone into administration :shock:

I need to get mine done soon - the more I read - the sooner I want to do them! :shock:

Anyway, just stumbled accross this US site - not phoned them yet but figured it worth posting on here...

http://www.perfectengine.com/ACL_7M8397_Main_Bearing_Set_p/acl-7m8397.htm

The bit that got my attention was that these appear to come in different sizes - I thought these were a 'one size fits all'....

any engine could have work carried out on it at some time
ie: crankshaft regrind
you should allways check what comes off or measure the journals
and sometimes it has been known the the journals could be different across the shaft
and i have come across over size bearings on a new engine out of the factory

Justin_Elliott said:
I need to get mine done soon - the more I read - the sooner I want to do them! :shock:

Anyway, just stumbled accross this US site - not phoned them yet but figured it worth posting on here...

The bit that got my attention was that these appear to come in different sizes - I thought these were a 'one size fits all'....

They are one size in that there is no variation from one rod to the next in a set (unlike the Toyo OEM parts which do have a 6 size variation) but that is within the STD, +.025, +.050 etc standard re-grind sets. If yours hasn't been specifically re-gound and is just usual wear then use STD.

Incidentally, that is not the part no I had for this set. I have ACL 6b8396/STD...

Justin_Elliott said:

I don't know what those bearings are for, but they aren't LC BEBs.

Don't worry, I'm on the case to source some more and will post back when they come into stock.

How much are the ACL bearing sets Julian?

Cheers
Gavin

Hi All
I have got new shells from nice Mr Toyota. £38.00 the set.

As most peoples it was number 2 that was going to give up all the others seem to be fine.
Not sure how long it would have lasted before I could shake hands with my no 2 con-rod through the side of the block.

But all done now and I feel a much relieved man.

SHELLS2.jpg

That's a big crater. Mind at rest for another 100k now. well done.

SilverLady said:
I have got new shells from nice Mr Toyota. £38.00 the set

My local dealer has quoted £158 for a set!! Which dealer do you use and what part number did you order?

Thanks

Ian

Jon Wildsmith said:
You don't need any Ian ;)

Not personally but my stock shelf does! I was checking the ones in a box on their way to me were well priced. Compared to my dealer they are very cheap, compared to £38 I've been done!!

Ian

Doubtless I shall need a set putting by for when Big Red finally lands. :p

C

Big Red. Big RED. Have you found one! Gotta tell us all brother..

Back