Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Big end shell replacement

What? I was in Peterborough yesterday and rang him. I mailed him in advance but he told me that it had gone. He'd ring me if the deal fell through. He had no bids when it ended. Starting price was £4600. Too much.

Chris

Hmm sounds like a dodgy dealer... there seem to be a few on the loose these days :roll: Unfortunately they seem to have a few 80s in their sweaty hands!

Just a question, what happens to the metal that wears of the bearings?
Does it get washed around the engine to the oil filter? Might any bigger bits get stuck in bearings or block oil channels?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Julian said:
Just a question, what happens to the metal that wears of the bearings?
Does it get washed around the engine to the oil filter? Might any bigger bits get stuck in bearings or block oil channels?
It seems to get embedded in the other 'half' of the bearing, if you look at the photo below you will see that the upper second shell from the right has a small crater in it. Much of the displaced material from the upper can be seen as small dots in the lower.
shells.jpg

adrianr said:
Theres a magnet on the sump plug that does a good job.
The displaced bearing material is not magnetic
doh.gif
thumb.gif

Depends on yer magnet! I have a dirt magnet. Works every time. I go out with a clean dog and come back with a dirty dog. Now tell me that mud isn't magnetic. Huh. Well, come on. See? :lol:

Chris

The displaced bearing material is not magnetic

Urm, good point :lol:

Chris, your cruiser is magnetic to dirt too.

And the magnet in your sump plug is for attracting other things in your oil then. :?

OK, so if dirt sticks to my car and it's metal then my dog must be metal too. Yes? No. Hang on. I'm confused now. Are we saying that my dog needs new bearings? That can't be right. He's only 2!

Chris

Might not take too kindly to you inspecting his sump plug either.

Of course your landcruiser might be part dog?

Well it's a but ruff. Ooh sump plug. That's nasty.

C

Julian Voelcker said:
I don't know what those bearings are for, but they aren't LC BEBs.

:oops: I took part numbers from toyo-diy and after some searching found this ACL ref - must have balls' up some where... I guess that's why I'll leave the BEB's to someone who know's what they're doing!!

Julian - I'll be in touch shortly to discuss when you can fit me in... I'm tempted to hold out for ACL ones - but at 237km I don't want to leave it too long!

Also out of interest - why don't the Mains suffer the same wear as the BEB's? I mean they're the same material, in the same oil/environment - seeing similar wear!

Hi Justin,

Justin_Elliott said:
Also out of interest - why don't the Mains suffer the same wear as the BEB's? I mean they're the same material, in the same oil/environment - seeing similar wear!

The BEBs are under much greater direct pressure from the forces of the piston as it fires down.

Can I ask this again please.

Cheers

Ian Rubie said:
SilverLady said:
I have got new shells from nice Mr Toyota. £38.00 the set

My local dealer has quoted £158 for a set!! Which dealer do you use and what part number did you order?

Thanks

Ian

Ian Rubie said:
Can I ask this again please.

Cheers

[quote="Ian Rubie":3baq9mu1]
SilverLady said:
I have got new shells from nice Mr Toyota. £38.00 the set

My local dealer has quoted £158 for a set!! Which dealer do you use and what part number did you order?

Thanks

Ian
[/quote:3baq9mu1]

The price was quoted by my local 4x4 Garage who made a mistake.
In the end I paid £119.16 for the set from Mr Toyo. £158 sound a little over the top to me.

Mine had to come from Belgium or thats what they said.

I do like to use genuine parts where I can because they do come with a guarantee of sorts.

Mal

well to try and keep the info in the same place, i have a quick question regarding changing the bearings.

have just ordered the last of the bits needed, new conrod bolts from toyota £3.84 a pop! which are due in on thursday so hopefully i can tackle this at the weekend.

seeing as the aftermarket bearings seem to be the same size is the plastiguaging to check clearances necessary or is it just a case of fitting them?

callum said:
seeing as the aftermarket bearings seem to be the same size is the plastiguaging to check clearances necessary or is it just a case of fitting them?
If you are confident that the crank has never been reground, just fit the new ones without fiddling with plastigauge.

Done mine about 6 weeks ago and I got them (ACL) from Milners about £30.00, easy job and I have pics but do not see a facility to post them up so sorry. There was some damage to No 4 rod bearing and very slight to No 1, car has 180,000 miles with FSH, I used new stretch bolts as well just for piece of mind.

regards

Dave

Dave 2000 said:
.... I have pics but do not see a facility to post them up
You need to host them on the interweb somewhere and then link to them in your post
thumb.gif

Dave 2000 said:
..... I used new stretch bolts as well just for piece of mind.
New stretch bolts are a necessity not for piece of mind.

Doing the job without renewing the stretch bolts will result in driving around in a ticking time bomb
doh.gif

Back