Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Biggest tyres on standard wheels and suspension?

Dan88

Garage
On my 90 swb I'm looking for new tyres. All standard (apart from heavy duty +2" springs on the back).
What tyres will fit? 285/75 16?

or 255.85.16. Lees rubbing issues due to being tall and narrow. But tread pattern has some effect here. Something square and knobbly will rub more than a larger road tyre with rounded edges.

Chris

Welcome along by the way.

Thanks for the fast reply, I'm looking at a set of 285 75 16 grabbers at2.
I used to have defenders, got my land cruiser and couldn't be happier! :thumbup:

I believe 285/75s will rub quite a bit on the standard suspension at the front......they may well rub at the back too (even with the 2" lift) under articulation.

There are quite a few threads here about fitting the larger tyres, such as 255/85s or 285/75s; it certainly can be done.

There are a few members running 285/75s but you'll need to make some adjustments/mods, especially to the front to get them to fit and not rub excessively.

Most just go for 265/75s - very little, if any rubbing and only a minor "upgrade" in terms of gearing etc. .......though I must admit that the 285/75s look GREAT! :cool:

If you do go down the 285/75 route, please post some pics here, for the rest of us to drool over..... :drool: :thumbup:

Good Luck!

P.S. The GG AT2s are also renowned for their square shoulders, so in 285/75 they will probably rub a lot on a standard set-up.... :thumbdown:

i thought they had stopped production on the GG AT2s and they are hard to get hold of these days?

I have 285's fitted to mine with standard suspension the front is not too bad for rubbing once the mud flaps are off just a bit on full lock and the rears are fine no rubbing at all.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I'll try to get some pics of my truck on here. At the moment it has 3 spoke style wheels on and 275/75/16 tyres. They just sit inside of the arches, I would like to make them flush but without looking modded... Any ideas? :?:

Steve said:
I have 285's fitted to mine with standard suspension the front is not too bad for rubbing once the mud flaps are off just a bit on full lock and the rears are fine no rubbing at all.

Would love to see some pics of your truck Steve. :cool:

I've had 265/75s on both the OEM Colorado alloys and mounted on 80 alloys (on the Colorado), which is roughly the same as standard alloys + 30mm spacers, due to the offset. With both, I have rubbing when reversing "right hand down". Strangely, there is no rubbing the other way. The 265/75s on 80 alloys, actually seem to rub more, even though in theory it should be less....... :?

colorado1.jpg

colorado2.jpg

Thanks - that looks very nice. :cool:

I see yours is a petrol too - how do you find the acceleration and fuel consumption following the move to 285/75s?

It's acceptable on both counts. The fuel consumption will never be good :oops:

Steve said:
It's acceptable on both counts. The fuel consumption will never be good :oops:
Yes, fuel consumption isn't great on the 3.4 but "acceptable" can mean different things, to different people. ;)

Have you got any figures?

As a wild guess I thing the 3,4 petrol V6, will do about 18 mpg around town, and 30 on a decent run?

Any where near close?

Gra.

Graham said:
As a wild guess I thing the 3,4 petrol V6, will do about 18 mpg around town, and 30 on a decent run?

Any where near close?

Gra.

Yes, in "standard/OEM" form it will do about 18mpg around town but more like 22/23*mpg on a good run. It (probably) doesn't help that all the UK 3.4 are in VX trim and come with auto boxes as standard. The manual versions may get a few more mpg - say 25mpg. Still doubt anyone touches 30mpg.....

However as the mods start adding up, those mpg figures usually only go downwards.... ;)

* my best ever figure was 23.5mpg over a 1200+ mile return trip from London to Inverness, that I used to do fairly regularly.

chadr said:
Graham said:

Any where near close?

Gra.

Yes, in "standard/OEM" form it will do about 18mpg around town but more like 22/23*mpg on a good run. It (probably) doesn't help that all the UK 3.4 are in VX trim and come with auto boxes as standard. The manual versions may get a few more mpg - say 25mpg. Still doubt anyone touches 30mpg.....

However as the mods start adding up, those mpg figures usually only go downwards.... ;)

* my best ever figure was 23.5mpg over a 1200+ mile return trip from London to Inverness, that I used to do fairly regularly.

Pass me the razor blades.

Gra.

Yes, not great.

However, when you consider that a similar aged 3.0TD (Auto) doesn't do much more, then it's not so bad. Fuel is only one part of the equation......

If you convert to LPG, then you'll average the equivalent of around 35mpg (compared to Petrol, a little higher if compared to diesel), even the more modern D4Ds 120s would be hard pushed to match that. ;)

Horses for courses and all that..........YMMV. :thumbup:

Your right about the 120 D4-d.
I think the best I ever got on a run was about 32 mpg.
On the run back through Spain and France at night.
Reasonably loaded with about 300kg in the rear, tyres pumped to 40 psi.

Gra.

I ended up getting some 265/75/16 hankooks, I like them and they aren't that noisy. They look good too, next is wheel repaint (DIY style) and spacers. :)

Attachments

• mobileimage.jpg
    mobileimage.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 289
Back