Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Blasphemy Corner --If You Couldn't Have a Land Cruiser?

Earlier 3.5’s were much better if a tad slow off the mark.

yes, Rover's block moulds were new. Like us, they wore out over time and metal between liners and water passages got thin, and only made worse by the bigger bore size for 3.9s.

Stu, re the road tax sitution, its March 2006 (the 23rd if my memory serves) is the cut off date, regd before that date our Cruisers and the like don't get penalised with the £585 band, its something like £300 now, hence why everyone wants them.

Suzuki Grand Vitara V6? Don't be tempted by the I4 without doing your research. I nearly was but found out the 2.4 I4 blocks have a habit of blowing out.

I saw a 61-plate Lada Niva in the Peak District yesterday. Rusty and rough but looked like a lot of fun. Always gets me how small they are in the flesh.

I have been to the factory in Ukraine where they made the thing. It's such a cool hobby car ( could argue that apart from a few highways most of Ukraine is just off-road! Any car made for the conditions is going to be a good investment by way of durability )

How do you mean '61 plate', I was told that they can't be registered here in the UK...

Stu, re the road tax sitution, its March 2006 (the 23rd if my memory serves) is the cut off date, regd before that date our Cruisers and the like don't get penalised with the £585 band, its something like £300 now, hence why everyone wants them.
Hasn't the government changed that and taken the emissions related RFL bands back past 2006?

I'm sure there was a thread on here - iirc Tony P and others who had 2005 cars were impacted.

Edit : Yes, it's been taken back to March 2001 - see gov.uk site for details.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hasn't the government changed that and taken the emissions related RFL bands back past 2006?...

Yes. You've got to go back to pre-2001, if you want the lower tax rate based on engine size. After that it's based on CO2 emissions, which puts pretty much every 4x4 into the £500+ ball park.

And this is what bothers me with this whole thing. With most laws and regulations there's generally a concept that you don't apply them retrospectively. But the higher road tax ratings have been applied to existing vehicles and the higher bands moved back from 2006 - 2001. So, what's to stop them moving it back further, or doubling or trebling the rates for the various bands in the emissions based ones?

SS 2021-06-01 at 08.28.18.png

SS 2021-06-01 at 08.28.36.png

Last edited:
Hold out for a good Colorado... they are out there. The Trooper is very bare in comparison. Workhorse for sure, but the Toyota has sublime road manners in comparison. Mitsubishi made gearboxes and back axles out of cheese for a while.. otherwise not a bad vehicle.

Oh and if you could all stop complaining about 500 quid motor tax that would be great... my truck is a 2 seat commercial... not because I wanted a van, but because the 7 seater version is €1484 to tax for the year.... my commercial is €330.... go figure...

Hasn't the government changed that and taken the emissions related RFL bands back past 2006?

I'm sure there was a thread on here - iirc Tony P and others who had 2005 cars were impacted.

Edit : Yes, it's been taken back to March 2001 - see gov.uk site for details.
I was mistaken in that the RFL on mine did increase but not by a huge amount.

2001 when they pushed people to buy diesel cars ?

Its all about saving the planet, honest it is and nothing whatsoever to do with the fact that only war and car sales ever significantly altered global GDP ratings . Oh and nobody in the EU knew their cars were digitally programmed to lie because at the time there was no other way to meet EU legal criteria, nope that was just a happy coincidence :icon-rolleyes:

If America is going diesel its kinda funny that Uncle Sam sort of stumbled blindly through this economic war it will ultimately win simply because it recognizes people need affordable cars :lol:

Last edited:
Yup. Give it ten years Shane... there'll be a backlash against the current EV technology and the impact of lithium mining... everyone will be "encouraged" to switch to the next thing, whether that's hydrogen cell or whatever.

I'm still convinced that the current EV push is mostly about meeting local level short term political targets than any meaningful impact on the environment...

Won't be that long before a new healthier form of diesel is "discovered" . Covid broke the bank so they need people to spend .

Regarding the VED issue, look at band K and note the asterisk, scroll down and find this
*Includes cars with a CO2 figure over 225g/km but were registered before 23 March 2006.

That to me says they arn't going to backdate tax, which would be totally unjust even for this bunch and we keep our pre 23/06/2006 rate.

The Trooper is very bare in comparison....
Funnily enough, there's a LWB Trooper on eBay at the moment, that's not too far from me. 1998 with the decent old 3,1 litre diesel and around 100.000 miles on it. Garage had taken it in PX and obviously wants to shift it. They're only asking just under £800 for it and it's MOTd til November. It looks like a bit of a shed in places but I'm almost tempted, as a stop-gap while I wait for the right Land Cruiser to come along. You can hardly go wrong for that price and the 3,1 is pretty bullet-proof

It may well be more than a stop gap...... I think the rear seats fold into a proper bed ....unlike an 80 series .
They did make some higher spec interior ones and S/H parts are cheaper than cruiser parts so win win
Isuzu are not known for making bad engines

In answer to the tread title ......
If I couldn't have my 80 then I'd have a 200 series..... given up on finding a nice 100....
If I couldn't have either then probably would have an RS Audi Estate..... or Merc E Class AMG Estate ... and a little Suzuki Jimmy ( The mini G waggon looking one )

and a little Suzuki Jimmy ( The mini G waggon looking one )

I thought that, until I drove one. The older Jimny or better yet the SJ413 is much more fun to drive... love the look of the new Jimny, just not to drive.

Funnily enough, there's a LWB Trooper on eBay at the moment, that's not too far from me. 1998 with the decent old 3,1 litre diesel and around 100.000 miles on it. Garage had taken it in PX and obviously wants to shift it. They're only asking just under £800 for it and it's MOTd til November. It looks like a bit of a shed in places but I'm almost tempted, as a stop-gap while I wait for the right Land Cruiser to come along. You can hardly go wrong for that price and the 3,1 is pretty bullet-proof

Yeah the old 3.1 is a great engine. Used in Hitachi diggers for years. If it was the newer 3.0, run a mile. The Trooper was a popular truck over this way alright. A good mate had one for a while, and like I say, there's nothing wrong with them, but getting back into the cruiser felt like a step up.

The Trooper was a popular truck over this way alright...

Yup. I do a fair bit of wild camping out in Donegal / Sligo, when I'm over in the Oul' Sod and Isuzu Troopers seem to outnumber every other 4x4 by a long way.

Back