Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Boost setting?

Also I looked into the turbo pressure sensor Aswell and I have no wire going to it atall as that part of the 4runner loom doesn't connect to my original loom. I have no idea how the turbo light as working tho unless same as the 2.4 maybe which I'm unsure of lol it works tho so I'll leave that alone I think

Why return the fuel to its original setting ? When the truck is telling no like too much , turn it down a smidgen and go for a run . Keep doing it until your happy and the trucks happy and that's you at your max setting .

A high flow air filter might allow you to turn fuel up another notch , an exhaust another notch . The hardest part i found all along was keeping the fuel air mix right , fuel won't burn without air so too much fuel not enough air just drowns it .

You have your max setting on fuel so move on to boost now , i've read loads about this and learned to ignore wild claims of people boosting at like 21 psi , if they did it they must have replaced all the rubber pipework with welded on steel right before they blew up :icon-rolleyes: 14 psi i settled on as a safe max .

The sensors are a problem , i was never happy with my fuel air mix and constantly fiddling with it because i couldn't get it right throughout the rev range (it seemed to lean out at higher revs) until it dawned on me the sensors are connected to the ecu and on my truck the fuel pump is controlled by the ecu . I moved the sensors up to my retrofit intercooler (which is off another 90 i think?) and slap my ass and call me Sally if it didn't just tie everything in together perfectly .

Ok then so I've got a high flow air filter a piper cross one
ok we'll I'll fiddle about with mixture today I obviously can't increase air flo any more I suppose?

does ur truck smoke when u rev it now uve altered the fuel then yeah??

Why return the fuel to its original setting ? When the truck is telling no like too much , turn it down a smidgen and go for a run . Keep doing it until your happy and the trucks happy and that's you at your max setting .

A high flow air filter might allow you to turn fuel up another notch , an exhaust another notch . The hardest part i found all along was keeping the fuel air mix right , fuel won't burn without air so too much fuel not enough air just drowns it .

You have your max setting on fuel so move on to boost now , i've read loads about this and learned to ignore wild claims of people boosting at like 21 psi , if they did it they must have replaced all the rubber pipework with welded on steel right before they blew up :icon-rolleyes: 14 psi i settled on as a safe max .

The sensors are a problem , i was never happy with my fuel air mix and constantly fiddling with it because i couldn't get it right throughout the rev range (it seemed to lean out at higher revs) until it dawned on me the sensors are connected to the ecu and on my truck the fuel pump is controlled by the ecu . I moved the sensors up to my retrofit intercooler (which is off another 90 i think?) and slap my ass and call me Sally if it didn't just tie everything in together perfectly .

*Cough cough* Boost in my landcruiser peaks at aprox. 1.4 bar = About 20.4 Psi. I have not replaced anything, except for the intake pipe before the turbo, as it was broken..

I don't like noticeable smoke so when it starts i turn fuel down a smidgen , it was there if you looked for it but that's all . Just recently i turned my fuel down to its lowest setting and i'm slowly turning it up again when time allows for a short run at 70mph . It was a spur of the moment decision to do this as i realized i had lost all track of where the fuel screw was originally and with every modification i have turned it up a little more so i thought right everything's good so lets go back to the start because there is no point in throwing fuel out of the exhaust if its not giving you any power benefit .

Perhaps you should start investigating your old engine to find out where the sensors were , there could be an old loom connection hanging free that you could hook up to your new engine .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
*Cough cough* Boost in my landcruiser peaks at aprox. 1.4 bar = About 20.4 Psi. I have not replaced anything, except for the intake pipe before the turbo, as it was broken..

What have you got Victor is it a 1KZ-TE 90 ? I snapped jubilee clips trying to seal the silicone pipe on so bought bigger stronger stainless clamps only to have the silicone pipe bubble and distort !

I'll have a little look about shortly then as need get to the bottom of it all now cheers I'll keep u all posted later on

Cut a head of a bolt, and put that in the hose to the wastegate instead, that way it will neer work, and you'll be doing around 1.5 bar of pressure.
Also, turn in the fuel pump screw 2 full turns, and it'll go like a rocket. Will smoke some until you hit boost though!

I have it like that in my 2l-t and it runs pretty good i must say! I'm even thinking of going half a turn more
twisted.gif

Right so turned pump down abit so there's a small amount of black smoke when u rev it feels quite abit slower then how I had it tho but I'll leave it at that until get boost gauge and adjuster set up and tell u what it's reading

also I took inlet pipe off to see if it was blocked up in anyway but it was unbelievably clean tbh pics to follow

image.jpg

image.jpg

This is is running without an egr valve as standard isit meant to be this clean??

It's normal to have a little oil in there, that actually looks fairly clean. Guessing you don't have a EGR which has worked well. You also have the 1KZT, so tweaking the fuel pump for you is different to the electronic fuel pump. However it is tunable, more so than the electronic pump.

Also Victor, I'm interested in your "claimed" setup, mind showing us some more details of your truck and setup, on another thread of course... It's not that we don't believe you, but there's a lot of false claims these days! We all just want to learn... :icon-biggrin:

clean is what you want if you had an egr that pipe would be wearing a black fur coat of carbon inside that's why we blank the egr :icon-wink:

Beau I wonder if the conflicting reports about max boost result from 1kz as apposed to 1kz-te , as I understand it the Ecu will interfere on the TE if boost exceeds 14psi and if the manual pump 1kz doesn't have an Ecu then there is nothing to prevent boosting until the turbo blows . Over boosting is counterproductive anyway if a turbo could produce infinite power we would all be driving 50cc trucks . I can't remember exactly now but I'm sure I decided on 14psi as a result of some guy claiming to have tested it on a rolling road and found there was no increase in power no matter how much more he turned up the boost .

My my controller has been ignored since fitting , it produced an instant improvement by eliminating waste gate leak but I haven't played with it as I've got this far without once upsetting the Ecu and as I see it over boosting without any power benefit is subtracting from reliability for no reason at all . Mine will be done on a rolling road .

What have you got Victor is it a 1KZ-TE 90 ? I snapped jubilee clips trying to seal the silicone pipe on so bought bigger stronger stainless clamps only to have the silicone pipe bubble and distort !

Ahh, that's true, i have the 2l-t engine..

Book figures 2L-T 90hp - 1KZT 125HP - 1KZ-TE 130hp , I am hoping my truck is in the 1KD-FTV ballpark of 172hp when i get it tested but that might be wishful thinking , makes no odds though i'm happy with it whatever the figures say .

Should be noted to that the trouble i had keeping the system sealed was all to do with my retro fit intercooler , i can't imagine the original inlet pipe leaking but i don't have one any more .

Last edited:
Book figures 2L-T 90hp - 1KZT 125HP - 1KZ-TE 130hp , I am hoping my truck is in the 1KD-FTV ballpark of 172hp when i get it tested but that might be wishful thinking , makes no odds though i'm happy with it whatever the figures say .

Should be noted to that the trouble i had keeping the system sealed was all to do with my retro fit intercooler , i can't imagine the original inlet pipe leaking but i don't have one any more .

You should be around the 150-170hp I reckon. Torque should improve a lot due to the exhaust and intercooler as well.

Regarding the boost on these, it is possible to boost more than 14PSI with the 1KZTE. However, it involves tricking the boost sensor at showing no more than 14PSI to the ECU and this allowing the ECU to not cut off fueling. However, the ECU will be sending fuel matching the 14PSI boost levels which wont make performance optimal. The way around this is sticking the mechanical pump on and tweaking the fueling. With this setup now, I have seen and read of a few guys boosting nearer to the 20PSI limit. The temptation is there to do this, but I think 14PSI, as you said Shayne is a good balance. Plus it's in safe working condition for which the engine was designed for. Reliability is key.

Yeah i get that Beau , i am hoping i can get a little more power out of everything obviously but balance is the key so with no further power mods planned i'm gonna wait until i'm on a rolling road to up the boost and choose a final setting for my fuel . That's the direction i'm kind of trying to nudge Craig in - a little of everything slowly but surely keeping the balance all along will bring improvements without harming reliability . To max this and leave that standard just throws everything out of kilter .

That all sounds good to me!! :) I'm going to do what u all recommend really but yes I want reliability with as much power at same time so boost gauge be going on next week then exhaust and dump pipe I'll also get egt gauge on dump pipe Aswell I think so I know it's safe? Any body know safe temps??
Then I'll book rolling road one about 1 hour away from me I could use

then what's done is done I'll do no more to it

I think the limit for EGT for these engines are 850... probably 900 for short periods of time as well. I'm not too sure. I know some guys run up to 1000 and there turbo's are still alive haha

Do you have a link to the adjustable boost controller? :icon-smile:

Back