Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Bottle Jack

karl2000

Supporter
Country Flag
great_britain
I know theres lots of good bottle jacks out there which are better than the factory one, but has anyone found a decent one that still fits in the original jack storage compartment?

Define better? I have a 10ton and 20ton bottle jack that take less effort to lift the car. But much more effort to lift the jack. And because they are uppy-downy handles rather than twirly-whirly handles (sorry if I am dazzling you with engineering terms) you annoyingly smack the cills for the first 50 strokes. I still use them for maintenance, but for a very ocassional wheel change on the road the factory one seems like a good compromise to me.

Just in case somebody in China is watching , it is rather annoying that bottle jacks all fit the lever to the side when it would be "better" to have it at the front for slimmer storage needs .

I think my main concern with the factory one is that it's 17 years old at this point - I've never had to use it (touch wood) but wondering how much I can actually rely on it if it's needed....

I’ve always found the factory Jack to be good. The only thing I hated was the handle, being 3 pieces it was wobbly and hard to use… swapped it for one from a Daihatsu which is a single piece, stored under the bonnet by the bonnet stay..much better!

As for an alternative I have a 4 tonne telescopic one from SGS engineering, I needed more height than the stock Jack for the FJ, but it!s a lot bigger than the OE Jack.

Weld a socket onto the factory jack and

t-extension-bar-swivel-1-2quot-400mm.jpg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The factory jack is sturdy and fast. Put a 10 mm thick hook-screw in your strongest battery drill, and lift the whole front of the car in 7 sec.
Of course, a hi lifting, 3t garage jack is also fast, but weighs in at 70 - 100 kg.

I welded a socket on the factory jack years ago to take it up with an impact gun. Mind I did take the base off and give it a good greasing.

Can you change the oil on the factory jack?
You can't change the oil on any jack. Only on axle stands. Will the factory lift the car onto stands, absolutely.

I've never needed a jack to change the oil, but I'm on the scrawny side and I have a handy dip I can park across.

:laughing-rolling: not sure why it reminds me of someone who had more metal than bone in his leg saying he has no problem getting his legover since he installed a block and tackle above his bed :lol:

Personally i would not doubt the factory jack at any age , I have a generic high lift bottle jack here that i no longer trust but its had a hard life . I'd love to know how the rubber bleed bung went missing (stolen i guess) I welded a nut on so i can bleed by loosening a bolt .

Still does its job because they are very simple things and so unlikely to just pop and drop but because off its sorry looking state I won't go under a truck lifted on it until theres an axle stand safe guard which should be standard practise anyway .

Your not under the truck to change a wheel so your worrying about nothing . If its really old and tired worse case scenario you will have to wind it up a little more because it sunk an inch while you tried to convince the mrs thats shes doing a great job of it :icon-biggrin:

To get back to Karl's original question, I haven't found another jack that fits in the cubby hole, and yes you can change the hydraulic fluid in a jack, there is jack fluid for sale most places.

I wouldn't like to be changing a wheel when the jack gives out, you are not exactly remote with arms full outstretched, and kneeling down, head forward, which may take a nasty bang from the wheel arch as it lurches down and towards you. If the wheel change is o/s, it could push you back into traffic, Definately a worry.

My point being the jack won't give out with a bang .

Bit more info on this one. Turns out the standard jack isnt hydraulic, so there's no oil. Its basically a big mechanical screw!

We all missed that one, must be something to do with the hooky, windy, wonky handle.
Don't try and fill it Karl. Lol.

If anyone has a factory jack going spare.... I am in the market for one

The 120 is fine, the 105 didn't have one, it had some odd aftermarket thing that said 'rated to one ton'. Results in me carrying a somewhat better aftermarket one, in the drawers at the back.

Be nice to find an OE jack that fits in the right spot.

Back