Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Brake Performance

Seamus McLaughlin

Hello everyone, just moved from another forum and I'd like to ask a quick question.

Two weeks ago my brakes were perfect, and when applied about 2cm I had very firm braking. However, since then the weather has been terrible with snow and ice on the roads. Now that the roads have cleared again, I notice that my brakes are much less effective than before, and that I need to press about 5cm before any real firm braking occurs. And when pushed further, the brakes do work sufficiently, just nowhere near as well as they did before.

The only things popping into my head about why this could be is that perhaps during the snow/ice conditions the ABS was much more active and this could have damaged the braking system in some way? Or perhaps all the salt from gritted roads has built up on my disks and this is weakening the performance? I'm completely at a loss as to why my brakes have deteriorated so rapidly, and I was quite fond of having powerful brakes as it gave me a real sense of security.

11 months ago, Toyota fitted 3 new brake hoses, new rear disks, and new pads all round. My tyres have at least 5mm of tread on the front. 98 colorado, GXTD.

Hi Seamus, not a brake expert, but do you think there could be some crud in the calipers siezing them up slightly?

Hi there,
Yeah I thought maybe all the salt on the roads could be building up on the pads perhaps? Does this sound possible?

Thanks

I don't think it would be the pads, but perhaps the actual pistons that push the pads out....

Well I'm doing a service this weekend so I'll have a look then, anyway of testing them without stripping the brakes down to the callipers?

If you take the calipers off and don't disconnect them, and then you should be able to remove the pads and youcan then inspect them. they should be relativly easy to push back in (do't push them too far in) and then get someone to gently push the brake pedel they should move out easily enough too.

Basically check that they move freely and are clean

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back