Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Brakes again

silvercruiser

Hello i know brakes are mentioned quite often but ive stripped my front brakes down a few time now and after a while they end up the same. They dont pull to one side and i dont get any shaking under heavy braking, its when im lightly braking in trafiic it feels like i have a difference in thickness across the disc its like it grabs, lets of a little then grabs.

Has anyone else had this :?: im thinking its time to buy new calipers and replace the discs even though i put new discs on it when i first purchased it.

any ideas.

Joe.

Sounds like dirty sensors on your ABS to me.

Pulsing at very slow speeds can be a warped disc or possibly a glazed patch on the disc. If you jack the wheels up and turn/spin them by hand you should be able to determine which wheel has the problem.

Mine have been like that for as long as I have had the vehicle.
I don't notice it under heavy braking but only when coming to a halt behind a vehicle in traffic at low speed <10mph.
I get the exact same feeling and I have no ABS on mine so it can't be that.
Maybe they all do that sir?

Thanks for the replies
IL look at the abs sensors. are they easy to clean/see

Ive had warped discs on an rs years ago and it gave me real bad shaking through the steering wheel but i don't get this on the l/c. when braking in traffic at slow speeds it also gets a little brake squeal that coincides with the pulsing so it could be glazing am i looking for a different colouring on the disc :?:

this is also the first auto Ive had, would it be the effects of the auto box still pushing if you get what i mean.

Joe

Bounder said:
Mine have been like that for as long as I have had the vehicle.
I don't notice it under heavy braking but only when coming to a halt behind a vehicle in traffic at low speed <10mph.
I get the exact same feeling and I have no ABS on mine so it can't be that.
Maybe they all do that sir?

Yes thats excatly when i feel it on my l/c is your auto :?:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I have had that on my white cruiser and others. There is a definite pulsing of the pedal, but not like ABS, it's like the disc is thinner in one part and thicker in the other so that it pushes the fluid back and forth. But yes, only at lower speeds. It would be interesting to put a dial test indicator on there and see what the run out is. Work making sure that the disc hasn't got any dirt trapped behind it on the hub. When you take them off again, given them a good furtle to make sure the two surfaces mate cleanly together. I would doubt that this was anything to do with ABS.

Chris

If it is glazing, the problem is unlikely to eventually sort itself out. I've had this on my bikes before - usual culprit is poor break-in by me when I've fitted new discs and pads. When looking at the disc you can just about see the slightly darker patches where it has glazed. I sorted this out with some wet & dry, followed by a proper break-in.

thanks again im wondering if its cheap/poor material with the discs that causes the glazing. what do you mean proper brak in :?: when i change the pads etc i just drive it normal is ther a procedure :oops:

Joe

silvercruiser said:
what do you mean proper brak in :?: when i change the pads etc i just drive it normal is ther a procedure :oops:

Joe

You want to brake several times with increasing pressure, starting at 20 or 30 mph and eventually slowing down from 60mph, but trying not to come to a standstill each time. See http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_warped_brakedisk.shtml# for a quite detailed explanation.

Interesting read :thumbup:

Hopefully i can get a chance at the weekend to inspect the discs.

Joe

Hello just a follow up as these arrived in the post today

newdiscs.jpg

So IL fit them this weekend and see how they feel.

Joe

I've always assumed that 'pulsing' feeling at low speeds to be warped discs.

They look nice Joe :cool: What brand, where from et quanta costa??

Hello Gav i bought them from the Bay
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT

I went for the grooved and dimpled to avoid any cracking between the cross drilled holes.

they seem good quality. I managed to do the front today and found my drivers side caliper to be sticking Again so fairly sure this was the cause. so ive cleaned them up and re greased but really i need to either replace or take them off and get a service kit but as its the daily driver for the wife its hard to lose the car while i rebuild the calipers.

Its now stopping a lot better and no pulsing :thumbup: just got to do the back end now.

Joe

Good result Joe :cool: I may see what they can do for the 80's.

Cheers

Well just an update as they have been on for a while now and all is still good, i can thoroughly recommend them :thumbup: it stops so much better.

Joe

Good to hear Joe - they don't seem to list any for the 80 unfortunately... :cry:

Did you replace pads at the same time?

Cheers

Back