Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Bringing work home

Gary820

Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
Not often I get to or need to but brought some work home this eve, need to wait for it to get dark and go for a drive! Issue with the adaptive head lights and the auto high beam assist. But difficult to replicate during the day and need to monitor some sensors etc in true darkness.

Lights apparently have a mind of their own so should be a fun night.

One computer to connect to the car
20180430_191630.jpg

One X5M parked up ready for the dark to come :icon-twisted:
20180430_190935.jpg

Quite a beast of a car 567 bhp!!

Not often I get to or need to but brought some work home this eve, need to wait for it to get dark and go for a drive! Issue with the adaptive head lights and the auto high beam assist. But difficult to replicate during the day and need to monitor some sensors etc in true darkness.

Lights apparently have a mind of their own so should be a fun night.

One computer to connect to the car
View attachment 143866

One X5M parked up ready for the dark to come :icon-twisted:
View attachment 143867

Quite a beast of a car 567 bhp!!
That’s incredible Gary, how do BMW make it invisible like that? All I can see is driveway up to that bush!

Is it the Msport X5 in the Background?

#Edit. just seen the comment above the photo, it is the M sport X5. Id like to give it a spin too. test out all those pony's

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yeah its the M power X5 down the bottom, won't fit on the drive with my cars. Couldn't be bothered to go outside to take the pic :lol: I get told off if I park on the garden.

I thought the 80 was thirsty :icon-surprised: that burns through fuel very quickly.
4.4 v8 twin turbo!!

Well he's not wrong about the lights moving, it's the high beam assist doing it's job

Hopefully the tooling will arrive tomorrow morning to check/do all the adjustments to the system. Then unfortunately I'll have to take it home again for a night run.

Only way to be sure it's 100% right is check the alignment in workshop mode first.

nothing wrong with my lights and they are 25years old! Tell him to take it back and get a full refund.Clearly not fit for purpose....

What is high beam assist anyway?

I have dipped and main (and some switchable extras if I want).

Someone educate me?

I think its for Disabled drivers so they don't hit stationary objects

What is high beam assist anyway?

I have dipped and main (and some switchable extras if I want).

Someone educate me?

It has fully adaptive head lights. The high beam assist is an automatic high beam. It leaves the high beam on as much as poss above a certain road speed, also measures ambient light etc.

It moves the head lights position and adjusts brigtness for other cars etc.
It uses the camera system to monitor the road.

It actually works really well but it's difficult to fully test in the day.
I think there's an adjustment issue so have ordered a £400 tool which fits to the front end to set it all up

This one shows it in action it will black out a car in front and move the high beam around the other car

Oh and he owes you double time for out of hours inconvenience and the shame of having to drive a soccer moms car..

I wish lol. Stuff like this comes with the territory tbh and doesn't happen often.

I'll most likely pick the customer up after set it up and go for a drive to see if he's happy with it.

I don't mind driving it, makes the 80 look good on fuel :lol::lol: sounds awesome too

Well the tools I ordered turned up, locates to the strut tops then adjust it level up front. Projects a laser cross onto the wall for the vehicle centre, lights in service mode which then projects a certain pattern onto the wall. Then adjust the lights to certain measurements from the laser cross... Yep over complicated but I don't design them I just have to fix them lol.

20180503_115032.jpg

Well it basically escalated from that point as it kept sticking and jumping trying to get the service mode to work and adjust

20180503_164141.jpg

Stripped the light and found an issue with a pivot inside the lamp unit.
£1800 for a new lamp!!!!

Will have to re calibrate the cameras and the night vision etc when goes back together too!!

I'm glad don't see many cars with this system as it's time consuming to set up.

Back